Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Big 12 Conference Championship Game - Biggest Knee Jerk Reaction ever!!!
BamaScorpio69 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Non-AQs
Big 12 Conference Championship Game - Biggest Knee Jerk Reaction ever!!!
First let me say, I was really rooting for Baylor or TCU to get a playoff spot but I honestly can understand why Ohio St got in ahead of them. What OSU did on Saturday with their 3rd string QB was probably was of the most amazing thing I had ever seen on the football field. Even if you thought Wisconsin was overrated, OSU put on a show for the ages.

That said, because TCU or Baylor not making the playoffs the college football talking heads has amp talks of the Big 12 considering expansion to 12 teams in order to host a championship game. The talking heads believe if the Big 12 not having a championship game hurt TCU and Baylor chances. Also, the Big 12 Commish not straight out saying there would be a single champ, not co-champs also hurt them. I say this is BS. You don't need a CG to determine a champion. If the Big 12 had just simply applied to tie-breaker rules Baylor would have been the outright champ because of their victory over TCU.

Futhermore, you in essence had a Big 12 CG because Baylor would have play Kansas St if one existed. Previous divisions setups have indicated KSU and Baylor would have played in different divisions. But lets say the Baylor/KSU game was the defacto CG, it would not have changed anything in regards to OSU getting into the playoffs. Ohio State beat the stank out of Wisconsin, the 14th ranked with the #2 ranked defense Badgers on a neutral field 59-0. The only way Baylor would have been able to overcome that would have been beating KSU in similar fashion.

But, the Big 12 was also a loss from FSU or Ohio St getting one team in the playoffs. The Big 12 would have had both Baylor and TCU in the playoffs if both OSU and FSU had lost. My opinion is that the Big 12 should let the dust and knee jerk reactions settle down but change nothing. It's the first year of the playoffs, we knew one or potentially two P5 conferences were going to get left out. Guess what, someone is going to get left out next year as well. It was the Big 12 this year. It may be the PAC 12 next year. Point is there will always be someone complaining until we get to 8 teams. And even then there will still be bitching.

But for now, the Big 12 does not need to expand. My bet is that they will get approved for an exemption because Bowlsby will be able to prove adding two new schools will not increase the payout per school but actually decrease it. And the current schools, regardless if they feel they got screwed by the Selection Committee is not going to want their paychecks cut just to add two members and a CG.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2014 02:15 PM by BamaScorpio69.)
12-08-2014 02:12 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Big 12 Conference Championship Game - Biggest Knee Jerk Reaction ever!!! - BamaScorpio69 - 12-08-2014 02:12 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.