Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)
Open TigerLinks

Calkins weighs in on the "constant debate" regarding Josh Pastner
Bookmark and Share
TigerBo Offline
All American

I Root For: Memphis Tigers
RE: Calkins weighs in on the "constant debate" regarding Josh Pastner
(02-25-2014 11:19 AM)jimmyjuju Wrote:  I won't claim that I've witnessed or heard every interview Pastner has given. Of the few I have heard, he seems to say the same things over and over. From what I further gather, other fans have noted (and complained about) the script he seems to follow when talking to the media, e.g. winning is hard, the other team is awesome, etc. Like many others, I suspect that this is simply coach-speak. That is, he's not going to give the other team any bulletin board material or say controversial things that prove to be major distractions to his team or otherwise. On the whole, this is probably a wise strategy. Why say something stupid or impulsive? Why not stay on script?

Sometimes, however, Pastner comes off sounding like an idiot saying the same things over and over again. Again, I suspect he wants to keep it vanilla and fly under the media radar. But when the low-key method gets noticed, and the repetition becomes the story, well, it's probably time to change things up. Further, perception (unfortunately) is reality. Pastner may be the most brilliant and talented young coach in the country. But saying the same things over and over again can make him look like a simpleton.

In the balance of things, though, the above is very small potatoes. Pastner runs a good program and has great kids playing for Memphis. I've seen improvement each year, and I think being in a conference with UConn and Cincy (even though the dirty birds are leaving) is by far and away the best thing that has happened to the Tigers in years. With the exception of the Big 10, most power conferences have 2 or 3 good teams and the rest are also-rans. Take away Syracuse, and traditionally the ACC has really only Duke and UNC. The SEC is KY (barely this year) and FL. The Big 12 is basically KU and occasionally UT. The PAC 12 is UCLA (traditionally but not lately), AZ, and sometimes Stanford or OR.

So all in all, the Tigers are poised for great things to come, and Pastner is still young and doing a great job.

This pretty much sums it up.
02-25-2014 11:24 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Calkins weighs in on the "constant debate" regarding Josh Pastner - TigerBo - 02-25-2014 11:24 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.