Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

the good.....and the bad from the UR game
Bookmark and Share
Duke Dawg Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
the good.....and the bad from the UR game
The good:

1) The offense is developing some weapons. Birdsong has some moments where he looks really good. we seem to FINALLY have some legitimate WR's. Brown, Hunter, Ravenel, even Cheathem at TE.

2) MM loves his RB's...and right now, we may have the best 1-2 punch in the CAA. Scott we already know about. But I'm not so sure Abdullah isn't a better runner. He hits the hole with more decisiveness than Scott and is very hard to bring down. It's always difficult to project a true freshmen's career....but for what he's shown so far as a true freshmen, he looks like he's going to be special.

3) at the WVU game last year, a buddy of mine who is a huge WV and college fan thought we were one of the best tackling teams he's seen. I think that is still the case. Our guys may not always have been in position (some our fault, some a result of the other team making plays), but when they reach the ball, for the most part, they bring their guy down. I don't see nearly as many broken tackles against us as a see in other teams.

4)i'll give the coaches credit on this.....they recognized UR would do a lot of quick throws and they CLEARLY told our line to be ready and get hands up. Never have I seen a JMU team bat down so many balls on the line. The players made the plays, but full credit to the coaches on this one for preparing them for that.

the bad:

1) the 3rd and long scheme continues to baffle me. I just don't understand why MM won't bring the heat more often in these situations. our pass coverage is the weakest part of a very good defense. so why do you rush 3 or a passive 4 and give QB's all day to throw? OF COURSE someone is going to get open. It's the conservative, "don't give up the home run" mentality and it drives me nuts.

2) in the same vain, the punting. I get the rugby style punting. fine. But FCS kickers are mostly walk ons and not all that great. You are just asking for trouble to expect your punter to roll to one side AND kick the ball so that it pins the returner on the sideline. They are just not going to be that good and accurate. Kick the damn ball in the middle of the field and TRUST your coverage to make a play. Stop being so freakin' scared of the once in a blue moon big return.

3) again in the same vain.....the overall play not to lose mentality. why oh why oh why do we change things up when we get a lead? step on their damn throat and put the game away !!!!! We did that on the bomb to Brown to make it 38-16 and you could clearly see the coaches thought that was enough. they retreated into their shell and damn near cost us the game.

4) A couple Birdsong issues. I like Ginja. But he simply HAS to get better at throwing the ball away and realizing when the play is a lost cause. He also needs to learn how much to put touch on his throws. We all know he's got a cannon. He doesn't need to prove it to us anymore. but sometimes, the pass calls for a little more finesse.

5) 4th and inches. Couldn't believe I was seeing it. A big ass QB at the controls and MM still runs out of the shotgun. Yes, we made the conversion. But clearly we have learned nothing in these situations. and it's just a matter of time before that philosophy bites us in the ass.
(This post was last modified: 10-13-2013 06:55 AM by Duke Dawg.)
10-13-2013 06:52 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
the good.....and the bad from the UR game - Duke Dawg - 10-13-2013 06:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.