Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Oklahoman/Big 12 football: Louisville sting worsens/Texas wanted UofL...
bitcruncher Offline
pepperoni roll psycho...

I Root For: West Virginia
RE: Oklahoman/Big 12 football: Louisville sting worsens/Texas wanted UofL...
(06-12-2013 12:03 PM)USAFMEDIC Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 10:17 AM)bitcruncher Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 08:24 AM)Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Wrote:  
(06-12-2013 08:17 AM)WNCOrange Wrote:  I find this arguing over who is #4 hilarious because the reality is that it is the power 2 (SEC and the B10) and the little 3. At this point the ACC, B12 and PAC are all interchangeable. Arguing about who is #4 is ridiculous.
I definitely agree with this.

I also agree that the Big 12 should have added Louisville and Cincinnati along with West Virginia. I think as time goes along that mistake will become more and more glaring. By adding all three of those schools, the Big 12 could have triangulated the Ohio Valley and created a real synergy between those schools and could have effectively expanded their footprint in a meaningful way. Instead, they opted to go with the shortsighted band-aid approach and that will ultimately hurt everyone.

Dumb.

Similarly, I think the Big Ten's selection of Rutgers and Maryland over Florida State and Georgia Tech will also prove a significant mistake in the long run.
I disagree with your points, Doc. But what else is new?

IMO the B12 is the perfect size. Having only 10 members allows for round robin play in every sport every year, which is the perfect setup for any conference. The other conferences may end up with more inventory for their networks, but it doesn't make them better. More teams allows for unequal scheduling, where some teams miss power teams in their conference, while others get the more difficult path to their conference championship game. We've seen several instances of that in the SEC already, and every time it's had a negative effect on the team facing the tougher schedule in the conference race. Over time that will only lead to some unnecessary friction...

I also think adding Maryland and Rutgers was the better choice for the B1G. It keeps the B1G in a contiguous setup, where FSU and GT would have left a big gap in their footprint. It also puts the B1G squarely in the most heavily populated area of the nation, now that the DC to NYC corridor a part of their domain. That will pay off down the road for both the B1G and the schools, as UM and RU get increased crowds and coverage. Better recruiting will follow the increased interest in those programs, due to their B1G association. I don't think putting the B1G into a southern market would have a big impact in their recruiting. They already get plenty of southern talent...
True Bit, but if the B1G plans to grow the Maryland/Rutgers markets, I could the reasons for the Big XII taking USF or UCF for the same reasons, if they ever did go to 12. Puts Florida into play as new recruiting grounds.
I'm not sure the B1G wanted Maryland or Rutgers to grow. They just wanted those markets. The growth of those programs is a perk that could end up haunting the traditional B1G powers. There's a lot of football and basketball talent in New Jersey. If Rutgers can keep most of it at home, they'll end up as a power in the B1G. IMO Maryland's potential may not be as high as Rutgers', when all is said and done. But they'll probably end up being very competitive with most B1G programs...
(This post was last modified: 06-12-2013 12:09 PM by bitcruncher.)
06-12-2013 12:08 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

Messages In This Thread
RE: Oklahoman/Big 12 football: Louisville sting worsens/Texas wanted UofL... - bitcruncher - 06-12-2013 12:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.