UAB Blazers

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Interesting passage in ESPNtheMag article
blazr Away
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UAB
MyBB Interesting passage in ESPNtheMag article
(Again, ESPNtheMag comes to me free with an ESPN Insider subscription - which is definitely worth the money for more info and more candid observations from blog and feature writers - I wouldn't pay a cent for this otherwise)

Latest ESPNtheMag issue is on Analytics and the feature article re: college basketball is on how detailed metrics show that Florida is the best team in the country this year...regardless of how they've been relatively ignored by pollsters. It had this paragraph about North Carolina which I thought was instructive after watching our players develop under Haase this season:

Quote:For those of you still in the dark about basketball's next-level revolution, DER stands for Defensive Efficiency Rating. And when it comes to advanced metrics in college hoops, efficiency is all the rage. To understand why, consider North Carolina last season: The Tar Heels made it to the Elite Eight. They finished 170th among D1 teams in scoring defense, allowing 67.1 points per game. But what that stat failed to account for is that UNC averaged 72.8 possessions per game, the 9th-fastest tempo in the country. Crunching the pace-adjusted numbers reveals that the Heels gave up a paltry 92.2 points per 100 possessions (or .922 points per possession). When adjusted based on schedule, that figure dips to 88.6 (.866 ppp), according to KenPom.com, good for 11th in D1.
[/quote]
03-08-2013 12:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Interesting passage in ESPNtheMag article - blazr - 03-08-2013 12:51 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.