Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal
Bookmark and Share
Campbell4President Offline
1st String

I Root For: Toledo
OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal
On ESPN's NCAAM site, they have a couple of articles about the Big East's TV Deal. Normally, I wouldn't care at all about something like that, but about once per week or so for the last few months, I have checked out both boards just to watch the train wreck (it has a Jerry Springer or Maury Povich type of effect on me). Anyway, as we all know now, the Big East is now a group of the CUSA schools from a year ago. When they all moved, I mean changed their name to Big East, they were talking about getting this huge TV deal and some were guessing it would be 7-10M per year per school and most were guessing 6-7M on the light side. This didn't make sense to me because if you are currently making about 1M per year per school and you all simply change your conference name, your worth isn't going to miraculously going to jump 6-10x because of it. It's like taking a lamborghini logo and putting it on a Kia and expecting to be able to sell it for $250,000.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-basketba...ghts-deals

Quote:NBC Sports Network verbally offered the Big East between $20 million and $23 million per year for six years to acquire the league's media rights, sources told ESPN.

Quote:Before ESPN's exclusivity window to renew the Big East's rights expired in November, the Big East sought a $300 million-per-year deal from ESPN, which would have been the largest in college athletics. However, the network declined, a source said, putting the Big East's media rights on the open market.

Quote:Just two years ago, the Big East turned down a nine-year deal from ESPN worth $1.17 billion, an average of $130 million annually. Since then the bottom has fallen out for the league, which has had 16 schools announce they were leaving during that time.

In April 2011, former Big East commissioner John Marinatto recommended the Big East accept ESPN's nine-year, $1.17 billion deal, but the league's presidents voted to turn it down. That deal would have earned full members $13.8 million a year and non-football members $2.43 million a year.

If UC, UConn, USF, and the basketball schools are among those that voted "no"...wow, what a mistake they made.
02-10-2013 01:05 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - Campbell4President - 02-10-2013 01:05 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - wleakr - 02-11-2013, 10:47 AM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - axeme - 02-10-2013, 03:58 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - DrTorch - 02-11-2013, 11:01 AM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - axeme - 02-10-2013, 04:26 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - EmeryZach - 02-10-2013, 09:03 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - axeme - 02-11-2013, 11:19 AM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - DrTorch - 02-12-2013, 08:17 AM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - DICK - 02-11-2013, 08:31 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - axeme - 02-12-2013, 05:41 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - uakronkid - 02-12-2013, 06:31 PM
RE: OT & NMR: Big East TV Deal - uakronkid - 02-12-2013, 09:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.