Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CATO Power Struggle...
I45owl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls

New Orleans Bowl
CATO Power Struggle...
Cato must not turn into a tool for Koch - CNN.com

http://edition.cnn.com/2012/04/02/opinio...index.html Wrote:For 35 years, the Cato Institute has been a nonpartisan and independent source of libertarian views on key policy issues in America. We stand for limited government, individual liberty and peace.

No matter who is in the White House or has control of Congress, scholars at Cato have consistently argued that the federal government should treat every person as an individual, regardless of background and lifestyle choices. We have advocated for limiting military engagement in foreign conflicts that have no bearing on the safety of our country. And we have opposed legislation that would involve more government control, even when that legislation is supported by some free-market organizations
As partisan wrangling threatens to polarize Washington to the point of paralysis, there should be at least one organization to which elected leaders and the public can turn for credible, consistent, free-market policy prescriptions. Any imagined benefits from a takeover of Cato will be more than offset by the flight of its greatest assets -- its scholars. Similarly, any attempt to direct or influence Cato initiatives will result in quick devaluation of the Cato brand. This would be devastating -- not just for Cato, but for the libertarian movement that Koch conspicuously supports.

The Kochs can easily work through their activist grassroots organizations to advance their political goals. But the Cato Institute cannot be just another tool to promote their interests.

Apparently the Koch brothers were principals in the founding of Cato, but had ceased any involvement for an extended period. They have recently wrested control of the board and put in their own people.

I think it's pretty clear that this power play will hurt the credibility of both Koch and CATO.
04-02-2012 02:32 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
CATO Power Struggle... - I45owl - 04-02-2012 02:32 PM
RE: CATO Power Struggle... - DrTorch - 04-02-2012, 02:34 PM
RE: CATO Power Struggle... - I45owl - 04-02-2012, 02:37 PM
RE: CATO Power Struggle... - I45owl - 04-02-2012, 02:39 PM
RE: CATO Power Struggle... - I45owl - 04-02-2012, 05:01 PM
RE: CATO Power Struggle... - Max Power - 04-02-2012, 05:07 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.