Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Herman Jacobs ETSU running back
Bookmark and Share
Mister Jennings Offline
1st String

I Root For: ETSU
Herman Jacobs ETSU running back
Could this be it? The answer behind the scenes of why ETSU killed football? Maybe it goes back to the day, 19 years ago…the moment when Marc Buoniconti became a quadriplegic. It happened when he tackled ETSU’s Herman Jacobs…in the mini dome.

Think about it…The man who made the decision to end 81 years of football is a physician. Maybe he viewed the recent HBO story about the incident… If you haven’t seen a clip, you need too.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=58CLVPWV6Sk

Then the story about the Marshall’s football team on its way home from an ETSU game. As a physician the violence, injury, negative publicity perhaps was too much to take… budget was tight…the easy way out, eliminate football.

After watching the HBO story, you can feel the pain and damage that event left on ETSU running back Herman Jacobs. Even though he has a great attitude and does not blame anyone but perhaps himself, he is left scarred and damaged. Jacobs said, “My uniform was on, but my spirit and my soul were gone.” His desire was to be a chef… Working at Pals across the street from where he played will have to do for now.

A cure for paralysis is near researchers say…that maybe the only bright spot of that ugly day where Jacobs and Buoniconti were injured….Marc physically, Herman psychologically. The pain that inflicted everyone involved still persists... Perhaps the only way to heal is when Buoniconti is back to normal physically. Perhaps ETSU medical school researchers will make the discovery that will restore.

As for Jacobs he admits that his life has been a slow downward spiral. That is painful to hear. Next time I’m in Johnson City, I’m going to Pals and if I see Herman Jacobs, I’m going to encourage him…He has a job to finish…his bachelors degree and then his career as a chef. Wherever he uses his culinary skills is a place I want to patronize…one Buc supporting another. The hope is this man will be an over comer. In my book, Jacobs is a hero. His compassion and concern about Buoniconti is refreshing. He is just another reason why ETSU needs football.
12-28-2010 01:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
Herman Jacobs ETSU running back - Mister Jennings - 12-28-2010 01:11 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.