Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What direction is the A-Sun taking?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
What direction is the A-Sun taking?
It's no secret ETSU fans have been less than enthused about having to join the A-Sun after getting kicked out of the SoCon.

But for now, it's ETSU's conference. It's all of our conference. While I do dream of the day ETSU can be in a more prominent conference, I also don't have a problem with the A-Sun trying to raise its stature.

Instead, it appears that the A-Sun is simply happy to be the place where Division II schools go to be Division I and then see how long it takes to move elsewhere. Every year we see a school leave and then talk of a less than underwhelming college coming in to join us.

This is a conference that would do just about anything for Division II Rollins to move to Division I so they can accept them. This is a conference that fans actively say they wouldn't mind Savannah State- SAVANNAH STATE- join their ranks.

You can say it's kneejerk thinking, but with KSU adding football, it seems it's only a matter of time before they look to another conference to join. I can't believe they'd want to be a FCS Independent.

And then who comes in? Lincoln Memorial? King?

Anyone else believe enough is enough?

The question is- if you're the Conference Commish, what direction do you try to have this conference to take? It IS worth saving- a conference with a lot of big market potential with Nashville, Jacksonville, Orlando, Ft. Myers, and, for the time being, Atlanta.

My thoughts? Try to get non-scholarship football established at all of the schools. Make a conference the way the Pioneer League has. In time, grow the league into a scholarship program.

My other idea is more radical. Petition the NCAA to play baseball during the summer. Athletes are in school year-round anyway, and competitive college baseball will gather more attention if it isn't going up against basketball and spring training in March.

Hoops wise- try to establish tournaments with another larger conference- the way there is a "Big 10-ACC Challenge." You might not get a league of that caliber, but let's say you started one with the A-10. Northeastern schools get to make a trip south to Florida or Nashville or wherever.

Suddenly, you get more attention in the media in these large markets, a lot of tourist dollars in the A-Sun towns, and the strength of schedule increases. You MUST encourage A-Sun teams to schedule as difficult as possible. Shoot for the Top 10 Conferences.

Any other ideas?
12-06-2009 08:40 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
What direction is the A-Sun taking? - PittsburghBucs - 12-06-2009 08:40 AM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-09-2009, 11:42 PM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-14-2009, 12:31 PM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-15-2009, 10:38 AM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-15-2009, 11:12 PM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-20-2009, 04:10 AM
RE: What direction is the A-Sun taking? - Goldfinger - 12-26-2009, 04:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.