Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

MEDIA WATCH- May 6
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
MEDIA WATCH- May 6
It think it may be time for WXSM to drop their morning show move it to 1-3 p.m. prior to Meade.

I say this because Don Helman has got to be overextended doing 23 hours of sports talk. Furthermore, ESPN's "Mike and Mike" morning show will appeal to far more listeners than Dan Patrick, who gives Bill Meade the lead-in of a daily interview with Keith Olbermann.

Is there anyone who could possibly be a less comfortable fit than Keith Olbermann for the Tri-Cities? Even the Two Live Stews would at least draw in a young demographic (and talk enough basketball for Meade to have another comfortable lead-in).

But the main thing here is the guests that they have on the air. Gerald Sensabaugh was on the other day and it was almost a painful listen with three interviewers almost stepping over each other to ask him questions. It sounded more like a press conference than anything else.

Sensabaugh did say something to the effect that Peyton Manning was the greatest QB of all time- which they failed to pick up on.

But the main thing here is the morning show is so desperate to fill four hours of programming they continue to interview flaks or administrative officials that have no right to be on the air and are given absolutely no questions of relevance.

Case in point- Jo Ann Paty was on last week. She's the head of the Pirate Club.

So where were the questions asking her why the Pirate Club couldn't do any better than raise $127,000 for football from 1998-2003? Where were the questions on how fundraising was coming and if people were more apt to give to a new baseball park or basketball arena? Where were the questions wondering why we can fund a $2 million golf center but can't seem to get money for any spectator sport? Where were the questions asking if basketball fundraising was increasing off a conference title- and if not- why not? Where were the questions asking what it would take for ETSU to become a true Division I athletic entity financially?

Nope. Instead they talked about- well- I'm not sure what they talked about- just that Paty couldn't have been more patronizing of her interviewers if she had reached through the microphone and pinched them on the cheek.

"We like to have good relationships with our media!" she said.

Provided, apparently, they are good little shills.

I realize Helman is in a difficult situation. The ETSU broadcasting contract is being negotiated, he doesn't want to lose his gig as the No. 2 announcer, and again, he's spread thin.

But if you're not going to ask Paty the questions that need to be asked- why have her on at all?

Or at the very least- say before she's on "Out of a conflict of interest with my relationship at ETSU I am taking myself out of this interview and leaving it to my co-host?"
05-06-2007 11:55 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
MEDIA WATCH- May 6 - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007 11:55 AM
[] - Buccaneerlover - 05-06-2007, 12:35 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007, 01:06 PM
[] - Buccaneerlover - 05-06-2007, 01:20 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007, 01:26 PM
[] - Buccaneerlover - 05-06-2007, 03:39 PM
[] - ETSUfan1 - 05-06-2007, 03:57 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007, 03:59 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007, 04:21 PM
[] - BucDoctor - 05-06-2007, 05:09 PM
[] - ETSUfan1 - 05-06-2007, 08:12 PM
Media Coverage - wesman17 - 05-06-2007, 08:17 PM
[] - Buccaneerlover - 05-06-2007, 08:21 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 05-06-2007, 09:46 PM
[] - etsualumni00 - 05-07-2007, 10:14 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.