Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What conference in 2011?
Bookmark and Share
PittsburghBucs Offline
Banned

I Root For: Justice
What conference in 2011?
With all the conference changes going on- let's discuss a few things.

It would seem a return to the So Con is OUT. Unless somebody leaves- where would ETSU- assuming the So Con forgives the school- go?

Add a football school- and you're down to just two out-of-conference games. I don't see that.

And then the question is if they picked up some basketball schools if that would improve them or not.

Let's say the So Con, for the sake of arguement, added ETSU and UNC-W for hoops in 2012. Now, yes, it would seem that would improve the strength of the conference.

But would it improve the conference to the point where it could be a two-bid league? Or would it simply mean that you are one of 14 teams fighting for an NCAA bid instead of one of 12?

Now- here are a few other thoughts on other conferences-

OVC- I'm not sure I would just rather stay in the A-Sun. The OVC would be an improvement in hoops and the chance to compete off the bat in football- true- but a fall in the other sports.

Also, for the sake of future recruiting, would you rather have a presence in Florida or a presence in Kentucky and Illinois?

Though I can't see Stetson under any circumstances significantly improving their hoops programs, I can see Gulf Coast and Jacksonville doing so.

BIG SOUTH- This got a bit more interesting to me with the addition of Stony Brook today, because now the conference has a presence in NYC.

ETSU propaganda tried to sell the move to the A-Sun as "Wouldn't you rather go to a road trip in Florida?"

The fact that about two people actually take the Bucs up on that is forgotten, but still.

But for hoops, am I the only one who sees maybe it might be better to have a presence in NYC than in Orlando and Ft. Myers?

And wouldn't NYC be a fun road trip?

Big South offers less travel, some good geographic rivalries, allows the chance to win in football right away, and is an improvement in hoops.

The problem is it is a step down in sports like baseball, tennis, and golf. AND DO NOT DISCOUNT THAT A FRED WARREN OR TONY SKOLE, LET ALONE DAVID MULLINS, WILL TRY TO SABATOGE SUCH A MOVE!

CAA- Two problems with the CAA (and I'd love to go there, but)-

Generally, the schools in that conference have a "Big City" feel.

Not all of them. UNC-W doesn't- for instance.

But I always got the feeling that James Madison and William and Mary were kind of where you wanted to go if you were from Northern Virginia and you wanted to get away from home for a traditional campus.

Joe Redneck would also probably rather get more excited about Kennesaw State than Hofstra. Sad but true.

The big thing is I don't know where ETSU would fit in that conference.

Last option-

You COULD stay in the A-Sun and then try to make it as a football independent- which would allow you to play basically whoever you want to and build winning records initially- thus perhaps being more attractive to a REAL move to Division I-A and a major conference if and when all the facilities are built.

Do not discount this final option.
03-20-2007 10:57 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Messages In This Thread
What conference in 2011? - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007 10:57 AM
[] - Sly Fox from Liberty - 03-20-2007, 11:02 AM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007, 11:25 AM
[] - etsuBucsFan1988 - 03-20-2007, 12:09 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007, 12:36 PM
[] - BucinBama - 03-20-2007, 01:43 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007, 02:08 PM
[] - kevster - 03-20-2007, 03:33 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007, 03:51 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-20-2007, 03:54 PM
[] - etsuBucsFan1988 - 03-21-2007, 07:25 AM
[] - kevster - 03-21-2007, 08:09 AM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-21-2007, 08:42 AM
[] - Sly Fox from Liberty - 03-25-2007, 11:18 PM
[] - Nuckster - 03-26-2007, 03:39 PM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-27-2007, 08:27 AM
[] - ETSUfan1 - 03-27-2007, 08:36 AM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
[] - Nuckster - 03-27-2007, 09:54 AM
[] - PittsburghBucs - 03-27-2007, 11:15 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.