Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Trump budget aims to jump-start construction, cut red tape
VA49er Offline
Legend

I Root For: Charlotte
RE: Trump budget aims to jump-start construction, cut red tape
(02-12-2018 08:55 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 08:25 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  I live in Va Beach. Our last Republican Governor oversaw a public/private project to repair and improve several tunnels in our area. As a result, we the citizens pay an outrageous toll on these tunnels. The profits go to a European consortium that funded the project. These tolls are onerous and built in increases guarantee the builders huge profits for years and years to come. I'm not totally against public/private, but it has to be done very carefully. The public will be taking it in the shorts for decades and decades.
Va has one of the lowest gas taxes in the country. I know raising taxes is heresy amongst repubs, but a 1-2 cent increase in gas tax would have made these tolls unnecessary.Fear of taxes resulted in the public getting totally screwed.

No, the tolls are user fees. It's only appropriate that the people who use the tunnels pay for it instead of the cattle farmer trying to eke out a living in Bluefield who has or will ever use the tunnel.

Yeah, that was my thinking as well. Heck I use a toll road everyday as well, but figure that's the price I pay to avoid getting on I95. Worth every penny.
02-13-2018 09:00 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

I Root For: Freedom
(02-12-2018 11:00 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He's asking states and the private sector to pick up 1.3 trillion of his 1.5 trillion dollar plan? Good luck.

???

50 vibrant States, and with built in incentives to improve their own infrastructure? Why wouldn’t they? Private industry?
Apple has announced 350 BILLION in new investments over ten years, Boeing another 55bb themselves alone, that’s TWO companies.

How much of that will necessarily go to infrastructure of one type or another?!? They want a workforce?, build schools and fund programs. THey want workers? Build roads and communities.

Everything does NOT need to flow from BIG GOVERNMENT, that’s the problem we are all seeing day in, day out.

Simply look at what that freak Elon Musk pulled off in a few short years by assembling a smallish cast of people and a vision. That would have taken the Feds longer today to do than putting a man on the moon.

Shovel ready jobs... how many did YOU see?!? I saw a few signs, very few “jobs”.
02-13-2018 09:45 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(02-12-2018 05:10 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 01:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 11:00 AM)Marc Mensa Wrote:  He's asking states and the private sector to pick up 1.3 trillion of his 1.5 trillion dollar plan? Good luck.

State and local governments and the private sector should pick up more of the tab. They are the ones who see more of the direct benefit. Why should taxpayers in Cheyenne, Wyoming be on the hook for the lion's share of the cost of a new bridge crossing the Tombigbee River in Columbus, Mississippi?

Do you really think that's how it works? I wonder how the other repubs on here think about this statement?

Just wending my way through all this. But to the question above?

I’d say I support it near 100%.

What’s your question otherwise? You disagree? Think it should all emanate from DeeCee and that’d be more efficient?

Lol
02-13-2018 09:54 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(02-12-2018 08:09 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 05:13 PM)gdunn Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 05:10 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 01:29 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

State and local governments and the private sector should pick up more of the tab. They are the ones who see more of the direct benefit. Why should taxpayers in Cheyenne, Wyoming be on the hook for the lion's share of the cost of a new bridge crossing the Tombigbee River in Columbus, Mississippi?

Do you really think that's how it works? I wonder how the other repubs on here think about this statement?
That's the whole point of states paying. Wyoming won't be responsible for repairs in Mississippi. The state of Mississippi will be asked to share the burden and any private firms will also be asked.

Someone said there's not a budget. Every state taxes fuel and that tax money is supposed to go on road construction.

If what you are saying is accurate, why do we need the president to address it at all? If the states are responsible for their own roads, interstates and bridges, why are they all in such poor condition?

Feds do have ownership of interstates. Why do you leftists continually try to conflate unrelated things?

Your presumably familiar with the Norfolk/Va Beach peninsula area, you been down 64 over the last ten-twenty years? How many DAYS have I wasted in that time trying to go from point A to point B?

How many times have the Feds had to dig up their own work, fire everyone involved and start over? You think an incentivized private sector Co wouldn’t have pulled that off in a matter of months, not decades?!?

I do. Matter of fact, I know they would.
02-13-2018 10:02 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(02-13-2018 07:12 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 07:01 AM)gdunn Wrote:  A. Owning a Tesla is not a must, it's a luxury.
B. What physician is going to make you purchase a Fitbit? Those are not 100% accurate on anything they tell you in the paperwork. Plus you still have to keep up with your diet.

Your argument is still invalid.

No its not. Tesla is not the only company doing this. They all are either doing this now or soon will. As far as the Fitbit. It won't be your doctor. It will be your healthcare provider that will encourage you to have a device that monitors your health. This will allow us to move from Sickcare. Which we have now. To actual healthcare.

Yea, fk that.

Then it’ll be another layer of bureaucratic nightmare staring down our every decision.

If I decide to have two over easy with peppered bacon and cheese grits, fk em, I’m havin it.

Not everyone is cut out for organic vanilla yogurt and green chai ever day...
02-13-2018 10:17 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

I Root For: yo mama
(02-12-2018 01:14 PM)Old Dominion Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 10:51 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Waiting on a lefty to say this is stupid.

It's not stupid, it's great and long overdue. What was stupid was for scorched earth McConnell and his cronies to nix Obama's shovel ready infrastructure plan years ago.

But no, it's not stupid.

Shovel ready? 03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao03-lmfao
02-13-2018 10:24 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-12-2018 08:40 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 01:06 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 11:16 AM)gdunn Wrote:  

Pretty simple reasoning... The federal government will give you this much money but you need to pony up the rest for this highway that resides in your state...

Very few states have that kind of money. This isn't going to work unless taxes are raised.

Again.... This is not at all odd or extreme..

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Metro_Blue...Minnesota)

"The line's cost totaled $715.3 million, with $334.3 million coming from the federal government"

On many projects states are already paying more than 50% of the cost, and in many cases when you're talking roads and bridges the states are already spending a ton of money.

Has anyone ever noticed how rapidly state projects are completed compared to federal projects? The feds allow cost over runs and deadline extensions while the states apparently have stricter accountability standards.
02-13-2018 10:29 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-12-2018 08:56 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 11:25 AM)gdunn Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 11:22 AM)tennis2k4 Wrote:  The 7 trillion spent in the middle east is a lie.

The number estimated is $4-$6 trillion but official numbers aren't in.

either way......it doesn't matter......it's was a colossal waste at any level of spending....

imagine having to follow the shitestorm of that coupled with dumbo ears tard swiping his ee-eye-ee-eye-EOs coupled his first 4 having control of congress.............what a fk'n disaster......

that was the ultimate #FKME&U waiting to blossom....

I still don't see a long term out based on dumbo's disaster outside of complete eradication and term limits.....

people should be very fokkking nervous today......investing in tulips only works so long.....

nice tulip reference.
02-13-2018 10:30 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-12-2018 09:00 PM)stinkfist Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 08:31 PM)Bull_Is_Back Wrote:  

Pretty simple reasoning... The federal government will give you this much money but you need to pony up the rest for this highway that resides in your state...

Hey the dems in Minnesota are always trying to build bullion dollar trains "cause the govt is giving some of the money".. But when Trump proposes it they act like a vampire at a garlic farm.

let's not forget this guy that will soon be forgotten.....got to give ol' boy credit.....#marketinggenius

[Image: ezgif.com-resize-8.gif]

I don't know bud, I bought one of those and now sleep like a baby. I wouldn't trade it for any other pillow I've ever owned, even my little Smoky the Bear pillow I had as a child.
(This post was last modified: 02-13-2018 10:45 AM by TigerBlue4Ever.)
02-13-2018 10:32 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(02-13-2018 10:29 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  

Very few states have that kind of money. This isn't going to work unless taxes are raised.

"The line's cost totaled $715.3 million, with $334.3 million coming from the federal government"

On many projects states are already paying more than 50% of the cost, and in many cases when you're talking roads and bridges the states are already spending a ton of money.

Has anyone ever noticed how rapidly state projects are completed compared to federal projects? The feds allow cost over runs and deadline extensions while the states apparently have stricter accountability standards.

Cause a lot of State contracts are farmed out to private Cos., with deadlines and severe penalties for overruns or delays.

Gets schit done, on time, in good order and if/when it’s on budget or even below budget it’s further incentivized by bonuses.

Gets that ass a shakin when there’s skin in the game.

When it’s your baby blue shirt, short sleeved guy in a bad knit tie pulling down a regular check each week by trying to justify his existence with red tape, we see roads take decades, not months.

The cost savings there alone could be enormous.

Call Trump all the names one would like, this kinda schit he knows about.
Likely better than these legislators writing the laws and the bureaucrats “interpreting” them.
02-13-2018 10:44 AM
TigerBlue4Ever Online
Unapologetic A-hole

(02-13-2018 10:44 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 10:29 AM)TigerBlue4Ever Wrote:  
(02-12-2018 11:16 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Pretty simple reasoning... The federal government will give you this much money but you need to pony up the rest for this highway that resides in your state...

Cause a lot of State contracts are farmed out to private Cos., with deadlines and severe penalties for overruns or delays.

Gets schit done, on time, in good order and if/when it’s on budget or even below budget it’s further incentivized by bonuses.

Gets that ass a shakin when there’s skin in the game.

When it’s your baby blue shirt, short sleeved guy in a bad knit tie pulling down a regular check each week by trying to justify his existence with red tape, we see roads take decades, not months.

The cost savings there alone could be enormous.

Call Trump all the names one would like, this kinda schit he knows about.
Likely better than these legislators writing the laws and the bureaucrats “interpreting” them.

Exactly right.
02-13-2018 10:46 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
A lot of misinformation in this thread.

Federal transportation money is pervasive throughout the entire system. You can get 80% federal funding to replace an existing bridge on some BFE gravel road. It doesn't have to be an interstate. Most states, counties and townships fund their bridges that way.

You can get federal funding to redo an intersection. Look up CMAQ funds for example.

Once there is a single federal dollar in a project, the whole project, design and construction, has to follow the federal process. It is burdensome.

Even if you don't have federal money in a project, you might still be talking to the Army Corps or Fish and Wildlife to get permits.

I'm not justifying it. Heck, I don't agree with it. But this IS today.
02-13-2018 10:57 AM
JMUDunk Offline
Rootin' fer Dukes, bud

(02-13-2018 10:57 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  A lot of misinformation in this thread.

Federal transportation money is pervasive throughout the entire system. You can get 80% federal funding to replace an existing bridge on some BFE gravel road. It doesn't have to be an interstate. Most states, counties and townships fund their bridges that way.

You can get federal funding to redo an intersection. Look up CMAQ funds for example.

Once there is a single federal dollar in a project, the whole project, design and construction, has to follow the federal process. It is burdensome.

Even if you don't have federal money in a project, you might still be talking to the Army Corps or Fish and Wildlife to get permits.

Don’t disagree with any of what you’ve said.

But, local(sic) MANAGEMENT, oversight, planning, incentivizing can move things along a lot faster and more efficiently than top down. I’ve got a number of good friends doing quite well, by doing good work, on time and on budget.

They have to follow all the rules and regulations, of course, but decentralizing and privatizing the actual work, that’s when you see 8 guys working, not 2 working and 6 guys holding down shovels...
02-13-2018 11:14 AM
GeorgeBorkFan Offline
All American

I Root For:
(02-13-2018 11:14 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 10:57 AM)GeorgeBorkFan Wrote:  A lot of misinformation in this thread.

Don’t disagree with any of what you’ve said.

But, local(sic) MANAGEMENT, oversight, planning, incentivizing can move things along a lot faster and more efficiently than top down. I’ve got a number of good friends doing quite well, by doing good work, on time and on budget.

I would rather see the projects under local control. But you have to cut off the drug of federal money. Then the states need to raise taxes to make up for the difference. That is a difficult argument, because the local politicians are typically gutless.

There is no reason to send taxes to Washington, have 20% or whatever skimmed off for handling, and then us be happy 80% is returned to a state. It is stupid.

JMUDunk Wrote:They have to follow all the rules and regulations, of course, but decentralizing and privatizing the actual work, that’s when you see 8 guys working, not 2 working and 6 guys holding down shovels...

That really has nothing to do with the present conversation. Private contractors already build the vast majority of public works projects. If they have 2 guys working and 6 holding down shovels, the owner is losing money and won't be in business for long.
02-13-2018 11:24 AM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

I Root For: Southern Miss

Survivor Champion

Well at least someone knows road construction. My experience with it is zero. I was using what little knowledge I had with it and was assuming.
02-13-2018 11:27 AM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

I Root For: Arkansas
(02-13-2018 10:17 AM)JMUDunk Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 07:12 AM)hawghiggs Wrote:  
(02-13-2018 07:01 AM)gdunn Wrote:  A. Owning a Tesla is not a must, it's a luxury.
B. What physician is going to make you purchase a Fitbit? Those are not 100% accurate on anything they tell you in the paperwork. Plus you still have to keep up with your diet.

Your argument is still invalid.

No its not. Tesla is not the only company doing this. They all are either doing this now or soon will. As far as the Fitbit. It won't be your doctor. It will be your healthcare provider that will encourage you to have a device that monitors your health. This will allow us to move from Sickcare. Which we have now. To actual healthcare.

Yea, fk that.

Then it’ll be another layer of bureaucratic nightmare staring down our every decision.

If I decide to have two over easy with peppered bacon and cheese grits, fk em, I’m havin it.

Not everyone is cut out for organic vanilla yogurt and green chai ever day...

Not the point. Monitoring your health will actually make it easier for you to have that peppered bacon and cheese grits. But it will also warn you if you are about to have a heart attack because of it. Which is good to know.
02-13-2018 12:44 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(02-13-2018 08:28 AM)gdunn Wrote:  Higgs is still upset about net neutrality.

I'm game for it. If Spectrum wants to cut me a deal because I'm getting their slowest speed, go for it.

Still not a utility.

Then you are a fool. It's not about speed as much as its about access.
02-13-2018 12:47 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion
(02-13-2018 12:47 PM)hawghiggs Wrote:  

I'm game for it. If Spectrum wants to cut me a deal because I'm getting their slowest speed, go for it.

Still not a utility.

Yea. Access. When it hit fiber stopped being pulled a few miles from my parents. This week in the local paper thanks to the repeal, they're looking at picking up where they left off. Seems no net neutrality means more people get access.
02-13-2018 12:51 PM
gdunn Offline
Repping E-Gang Colors

Survivor Champion

Still not a utility.

I'm a fool. Says the hand that says you can't live without internet.
02-13-2018 12:51 PM
hawghiggs Offline
All American

(02-13-2018 12:51 PM)gdunn Wrote:  

Still not a utility.

I'm a fool. Says the hand that says you can't live without internet.

That's not why your being a fool. I understand your point. But cheering that a company can limit what you have access to is why.
02-13-2018 01:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.