Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Aetna under investigation for denying care
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Aetna under investigation for denying care
https://www.msn.com/en-us/news/us/state-...spartanntp

Hate to copy a CNN report, but:

An Aetna employee admitted under oath he never looked at medical records in determining whether or not to deny care.

I believe this and related decisions are a widespread problem in health insurance. The insurers commit fraud by making you fight to get what you paid for.
02-12-2018 09:34 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

UofMstateU Online
Legend

I Root For: Memphis
RE: Aetna under investigation for denying care
The issue here isnt the denial of care for this patient, as he wasnt denied coverage other than he refused to get bloodwork done that Aetna had requested, and waited so long (years) that when he needed the infusion he was in the hospital in terrible shape. (Again, due to the patients negligence, not Aetna.)

California may huff and puff about a physician not reviewing the medical records on denials, but if they didnt put that in the regulations, then Aetna isnt the only one who's not doing it. I love how the California insurance commisioner says it MAY BE a violation. The asshat who should know the regulations like the back of his hand IS THE COMMISSIONER. If he's saying it "MAY BE" a violation, then it sounds like it IS NOT a violation. This is the state's typical reaction when they get caught with a hole in their regulation, and try to point the finger at an insurer to cover their own butts.
02-12-2018 09:50 AM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
Aetna obviously didn't do anything wrong.

muh single payer propaganda

Quote:Aetna initially paid for his treatments after each infusion, which can cost up to $20,000. But when Washington's clinic asked Aetna to pre-authorize a November 2014 infusion, Aetna says it was obligated to review his medical record. That's when it saw his last blood work had been done three years earlier for Kaiser.

Despite being told by his own doctor's office that he needed to come in for new blood work, Washington failed to do so for several months until he got so sick he ended up in the hospital with a collapsed lung.

Once his blood was tested, Aetna resumed covering his infusions and pre-certified him for a year. Despite that, according to Aetna, Washington continued to miss infusions.
02-12-2018 01:13 PM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
Aetna tried to make him take a test for no reason. It was an effort to deny treatment. They make people jump through hoops in the hopes of outlasting them. That's the way they play the game.

Its not an argument for single payer. Its an argument for stricter enforcement of consumer protection laws. The health insurance companies have been caught in organized fraud (United healthcare and their fictional in house Reasonable and Customary). There just hasn't been any executives go to jail over it.
02-12-2018 02:15 PM
Kronke Offline
Banned

I Root For: Arsenal / StL
(02-12-2018 02:15 PM)bullet Wrote:  Aetna tried to make him take a test for no reason.

No, they didn't. His blood work was 3 years old.
02-12-2018 02:19 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.