Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Why don't more FBS programs move to FCS?
Bookmark and Share
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: James Madison
RE: Why don't more FBS programs move to FCS?
Bowls do not lose money: Total Bowl Payouts to Conferences from NCAA:

2013 - $309 million
2016 - $622 million

Payouts

Amounts shown are actual 2016-2017 (updated 12/4/17) total payouts per information available from the NCAA. Conferences have different methods by which bowl money is divided among its membership and participating teams. Some bowl agreements call for higher payouts to one conference than the other, depending on such factors as which is the "host" conference.

Total postseason payout increased from $174,561,086 in the 2015 bowl season to $181,845,519 in the 2016 bowl season. If you include the College Football Playoff Distribution Policy explained below, the total payout was $622,600,033 (a $116,700,033 increase over 2015). The final year of the BCS (2013) generated $309,900,000.
Playoff Revenue Distribution Policy

1) Each conference will receive $300,000 for each of its schools when the school's football team meets the NCAA's APR for participation in a post-season football game. Each independent institution will also receive the $300,000 when its football team meets that standard.

(2) Each of the 10 conferences will also receive a base amount. For conferences that have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowl, the base combined with the full academic performance pool will be approximately $54 million for each conference. The five conferences that do not have contracts for their champions to participate in the Orange, Rose or Sugar Bowls will receive approximately $81.32 million in aggregate (full academic pool plus base), which the conferences will distribute as they choose. Notre Dame will receive a payment of $2.65 million if it meets the APR standard; the other three independents will share $928,503.

(3) A conference will receive $6 million for each team that is selected for the semifinal games. There will be no additional distribution to conferences whose teams qualify for the national championship game. A conference will receive $4 million for each team that plays in a non-playoff bowl under the arrangement (in 2017-18, the Cotton, Fiesta and Peach Bowls).

(4) Each conference whose team participates in a playoff semifinal, Cotton, Fiesta or Peach Bowl, or in the national championship game will receive $2.25 million to cover expenses for each game.

Additionally, certain conferences in the Football Championship Subdivision conferences will receive $2.53 million in aggregate.
01-14-2018 04:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(01-14-2018 02:40 PM)1998JMU Wrote:  There are a large number of FBS programs barely keeping their heads above the stagnant waters they are in with programs regressing each year. With costs increasing each year just not sure how long this is sustainable... cutting costs to keep afloat is a downward spiral many programs are fully cognizant of but unwilling to accept the reality just yet.

Can you say Northeastern? What about Holfstra? Then there's Boston University. All of these schools were a mainstay on JMU's schedule. Then there's the ones who've moved on up and out of the FCS ranks to FBS who can be found in the history books of JMU and FCS football like: Appy, ODU, Marshall, UMass, Liberty, Troy, GA South, GA State, Coastal Carolina, Buffalo, Charlotte, South Florida, Middle TN State, and probably a few others I've forgotten about. These teams are not folding their program and they are not moving backwards/down to FCS. Come up with all the excuses you want, but the evidence demonstrates (with your argument) that FBS is a safer bet on a school continuing to play D1 football than FCS.
01-14-2018 05:16 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
The benefit to going FBS over FCS is worth millions in advertising. FBS makes more money too, as guarantee games are much more numerous and worth three times as much. The key is keeping expenses down, like coaching salaries.

JMU doesn t want to advertise that it aspires to be a Sun Belch school with no academic priorities.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 05:52 PM by NoDak.)
01-14-2018 05:43 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2018 05:43 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The benefit to going FBS over FCS is worth millions in advertising. FBS makes more money too, as guarantee games are much more numerous and worth three times as much. The key is keeping expenses down, like coaching salaries.

JMU doesn t want to advertise that it aspires to be a Sun Belch school with no academic priorities.

Oh, the admin is making that pretty well known or at least the excuse given.
01-14-2018 06:19 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2018 05:43 PM)NoDak Wrote:  The benefit to going FBS over FCS is worth millions in advertising. FBS makes more money too, as guarantee games are much more numerous and worth three times as much. The key is keeping expenses down, like coaching salaries.

Advertising to who when nobody is watching? You think these companies aren't figuring out that nobody is seeing their ads?
01-14-2018 07:09 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(01-14-2018 07:09 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  

Advertising to who when nobody is watching? You think these companies aren't figuring out that nobody is seeing their ads?
It's print and internet too . The big media gives a lot of coverage to fbS but FCS is mainly local. Might as well not have a fb team unless it's FBS. JMU is an exception because the CAA is so strong academically.. JMU needs a more powerful academic league than the Sun Belch.
01-14-2018 07:21 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(01-14-2018 07:21 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

It's print and internet too . The big media gives a lot of coverage to fbS but FCS is mainly local. Might as well not have a fb team unless it's FBS. JMU is an exception because the CAA is so strong academically.. JMU needs a more powerful academic league than the Sun Belch.

What print?
01-14-2018 07:27 PM
AssyrianDuke Offline
All American

(01-14-2018 07:27 PM)DoubleDDuke Wrote:  
(01-14-2018 07:21 PM)NoDak Wrote:  

What print?

I don't think the Washington Post or the Washington Times is going to give JMU too much print space over VT or UVA whether we are in CAA or CUSA. But I also haven't read the paper in a long time to see what they are covering, so maybe I'm making two different points at once?
01-14-2018 07:37 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

National sports columnists refer to FBS exclusively and FCS ones dont exist. Right now, JMu considers the Richmond Times-Dispatch layout a major win.
(This post was last modified: 01-14-2018 08:03 PM by NoDak.)
01-14-2018 08:02 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-14-2018 08:02 PM)NoDak Wrote:  National sports columnists refer to FBS exclusively and FCS ones dont exist. Right now, JMu considers the Richmond Times-Dispatch layout a major win.

The trend among national sports columnists is referencing P5 and G5. They already distinguish between the 2 and as that gap gets wider and wider moving forward, the lame, goofy term "FBS" will continue to fade as the division within D1A is evident. And, sorry AAC, but it is P5 and never will be a P6. Ever.
01-14-2018 08:24 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

Are we really catching **** from an UND fan? Good lord, you can't even win in the 3rd or 4th best FCS conference. Focus on getting to the Bison's level first and then maybe you can one day dream of taking Idaho's former place in the big time Sun Belt.
(This post was last modified: 01-15-2018 08:59 AM by Potomac.)
01-15-2018 08:58 AM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

Some interesting regular season game payments:

• ODU will be paid $1.32 million to play Liberty in 2018
• Georgia Southern was paid $1.3m to play Auburn on 9/2/17
• Appalachian State was paid $1.25m to play Georgia on 9/2/17

https://pilotonline.com/sports/college/o...e2474.html
01-19-2018 12:17 PM
Purplehazed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison Dukes
(01-19-2018 12:17 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Some interesting regular season game payments:

ODU getting $1.32M for an in state winnable bus game is a good get
01-19-2018 01:15 PM
94computerguy Offline
1st String

(01-19-2018 01:15 PM)Purplehazed Wrote:  
(01-19-2018 12:17 PM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  Some interesting regular season game payments:

ODU getting $1.32M for an in state winnable bus game is a good get

Liberty evidently is willing to pay a lot of money for national notoriety. Being a private school with a specific political angle, I suppose that makes sense from a marketing perspective.
01-19-2018 02:11 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes

Where are the stats for how much ODU is paying people to play them? Liberty? Where's the other side of your balance sheet?
01-19-2018 02:44 PM
Potomac Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2018 02:44 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Where are the stats for how much ODU is paying people to play them? Liberty? Where's the other side of your balance sheet?

That's how spin works. Why would you show the entire picture or give more than a half-truth?
01-19-2018 02:45 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-19-2018 02:45 PM)Potomac Wrote:  
(01-19-2018 02:44 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Where are the stats for how much ODU is paying people to play them? Liberty? Where's the other side of your balance sheet?

That's how spin works. Why would you show the entire picture or give more than a half-truth?

They have only one payday game per year where ODU has to pay out cash and looking at there future schedules that doesn't happen every season. They'll pay VMI a little cash this upcoming season, and I'm guessing it to not exceed $250K. Norfolk State in 2019. No payouts in 2020 as they look to be all home-and-home deals. I might be generous with the quarter million figure when they do have a FCS game.
01-19-2018 04:55 PM
Bisonlurker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
(01-15-2018 08:58 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Are we really catching **** from an UND fan? Good lord, you can't even win in the 3rd or 4th best FCS conference. Focus on getting to the Bison's level first and then maybe you can one day dream of taking Idaho's former place in the big time Sun Belt.

They have a long way to go to get to UNI/USD type level. Getting to JMU/NDSU level is a pipe dream.
01-20-2018 09:25 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-20-2018 09:25 PM)Bisonlurker Wrote:  
(01-15-2018 08:58 AM)Potomac Wrote:  Are we really catching **** from an UND fan? Good lord, you can't even win in the 3rd or 4th best FCS conference. Focus on getting to the Bison's level first and then maybe you can one day dream of taking Idaho's former place in the big time Sun Belt.

They have a long way to go to get to UNI/USD type level. Getting to JMU/NDSU level is a pipe dream.

How did you both end up with green as your primary color? It does appear yours is a darker green.
01-20-2018 11:03 PM
Bisonlurker Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: NDSU
If I remember right the colors were picked after the alma mater " The yellow and the green" was written in the early 1900s. Not sure about the F'n Hawks.
01-21-2018 07:08 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.