Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Poll: Can Knight be the best ever?
Yes
No
[Show Results]

Can Nathan Knight be the best WMBB player of all time?
Bookmark and Share
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
RE: Can Nathan Knight be the best WMBB player of all time?
Speaking of Richardson, he was raw when he showed up and had a terrible shot that he used when he played down low as a high school player. He re-did his shot and was crazy good by his senior year (1984). He is very comparable to Chase Audige. Kevin was quiet and bookish, but a hell of a player and a really good dude.
01-12-2018 07:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
tribeinexile Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
Interesting question: How many of us developed our unnatural attachment to W&M basketball during the period from the mid-70s to the mid-80s?

My guess is that our success during that era created a generation of MBB fans that exists to this day. Our drought from the mid-80s to the mid-00s means that we are missing several generations of fans.

I am hoping that our recent success will create new generations.
01-12-2018 08:04 PM
wml33t Offline
1st String

I Root For: William and Mar
Against all odds, I am here in spite of being a freshman on 97-98 and not going to a game until 00-01.
01-12-2018 08:12 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(01-12-2018 08:04 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Interesting question: How many of us developed our unnatural attachment to W&M basketball during the period from the mid-70s to the mid-80s?

My guess is that our success during that era created a generation of MBB fans that exists to this day. Our drought from the mid-80s to the mid-00s means that we are missing several generations of fans.

Another reason the program and athletic department needs to honor and make that past history much more visible at Kaplan. I like the use of "historic Kaplan Arena" in their film clips, but dress Kaplan up to reflect the history. Wouldn't take much.

Would love to see beyond just basketball to create a "wall" highlighting all of the historic concerts.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 10:39 PM by Tribeheart.)
01-12-2018 10:08 PM
wmmii Offline
1st String

Would love to see beyond just basketball to create a "wall" highlighting all of the historic concerts.

[/quote]

This would be cool but not sure how it helps the BB program. Remember back in 1973-75 that we had awesome concerts and the hall was packed ...ran the student ushering then and would trade one concert usher if the student agreed to usher 2 MBB games in return. It was a blast.
01-12-2018 11:31 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(01-12-2018 11:31 PM)wmmii Wrote:  Would love to see beyond just basketball to create a "wall" highlighting all of the historic concerts.

This would be cool but not sure how it helps the BB program. Remember back in 1973-75 that we had awesome concerts and the hall was packed ...ran the student ushering then and would trade one concert usher if the student agreed to usher 2 MBB games in return. It was a blast.

I think the point would be to honor it as a historic all-purpose venue. Why not have a basketball wall, concert wall, graduation speaker wall....

I was lucky to wait the basement, preconcert dinner table for many performers, including John Denver, Bruce Springsteen, Jackson Brown. Will never forget a truly genuine John Denver walking up to introduce himself to me and shake my hand, then asking me to play ping pong on the game table set up in the basement before his concert. Remember the glass doors getting broken by the crowd at the Sly and the Family Stone concert over a very late arriving Sly, and who could ever forget the brilliant scheduling of the Grateful Dead on family/parents weekend. I, still, on occasion, pull up the YouTube full concert footage of Cat Stevens, originally filmed for "In Concert", but archived and never aired when he disappeared from public life.

I would love to be able to look at a chronological mural of all of the graduation speakers.

It all enhances the experience of attending basketball games, and giving current students a better sense of its place.

(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 01:46 AM by Tribeheart.)
01-13-2018 01:04 AM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

Terrific ideas. There's a W&M Hall of Fame Wall in Kaplan...why not the ones you suggest.
01-13-2018 07:04 AM
namtrag Offline
Water Engineer

Speaking of history, there is an old black and white picture that ran in the Flat Hat of the first game at the Hall. The end without seats was open (maybe the big door had not been installed yet), and i think it was a winter game against UNC. The Flat Hat article may have been about the 10th anniversary of the Hall opening, as it was sometime during my attendance years 1979-83.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 09:39 AM by namtrag.)
01-13-2018 09:36 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Maybe have something about the biggest games also, like the UNC win. Fun stuff. It just takes time and effort/money
01-13-2018 09:46 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
After the third Presidential debate at Phi Beta Kappa Hall in 1976, the two candidates went to the Hall separately, where the student body and others (packed house) had watched the debate on a big screen.

Jimmy Carter gave a serious campaign speech.

Pearl Bailey showed up with President Ford, and they did a light-hearted bit.

In 1993, Prince Charles was in the Hall for Charter Day.

Friday night movie night. Dances. Concerts. Commencement.

And if you lived across the street in the frat houses, and the nets were left in the upright position, countless pick-up hoops games on the main floor.

Definitely a place with a lot of memories for a lot of people.
01-13-2018 10:22 AM
nj alum Offline
Petulant

I Root For: william & mary
(01-12-2018 08:04 PM)tribeinexile Wrote:  Interesting question: How many of us developed our unnatural attachment to W&M basketball during the period from the mid-70s to the mid-80s?

Great point!

My era is 1976-1980.

I would add that it was very easy to know some of the players ... shared campus housing, frat parties, etc.

Down to earth bunch of players, and very easy to root for them!

The "never been to the Dance" thing was not an issue. It was simply a matter of going up against some big-name programs, even at the Hall, and proving ourselves.
(This post was last modified: 01-13-2018 10:31 AM by nj alum.)
01-13-2018 10:28 AM
billymac Offline
Heisman

(01-13-2018 09:36 AM)namtrag Wrote:  Speaking of history, there is an old black and white picture that ran in the Flat Hat of the first game at the Hall. The end without seats was open (maybe the big door had not been installed yet), and i think it was a winter game against UNC. The Flat Hat article may have been about the 10th anniversary of the Hall opening, as it was sometime during my attendance years 1979-83.

Yeah...and it was ICE COLD! It was really funny, because when the crowd applauded, it sounded muffled (sort of clump, clump, clump), because every one still had their gloves on! It was too cold to take them off.

The UNC team went to their team bus, which was parked just past the end line, for half-time. I don't believe the visiting dressing room had heat yet.

The student section was still pretty packed, even as cold as it was. Everybody stood for most of the game, so we could keep jumping up and down to keep warm

Good Times!
01-13-2018 03:17 PM
bubbadog57 Offline
1st String

In the discussion of W&M's great centers, many of whom we never saw play, let's not forget the likes of Chet Giermak (it was Markus who broke his Tribe career scoring record and Giermak led the nation in scoring one year), Bill Chambers (who was MVP of the old Southern Conference Tourney when the SC had the ACC teams and still holds the NCAA record for rebounds), and the SC POY, Jeff Cohen, who scored 2003 points for W&M and led W&M twice to victories over the great West Virginia teams of Jerry West and Rod Thorn.

Big Nate is and will be a great player, but he has to do it for a career like these other guys did.
01-14-2018 07:24 AM
wmmii Offline
1st String

(01-13-2018 03:17 PM)billymac Wrote:  
(01-13-2018 09:36 AM)namtrag Wrote:  Speaking of history, there is an old black and white picture that ran in the Flat Hat of the first game at the Hall. The end without seats was open (maybe the big door had not been installed yet), and i think it was a winter game against UNC. The Flat Hat article may have been about the 10th anniversary of the Hall opening, as it was sometime during my attendance years 1979-83.

Yeah...and it was ICE COLD! It was really funny, because when the crowd applauded, it sounded muffled (sort of clump, clump, clump), because every one still had their gloves on! It was too cold to take them off.

The UNC team went to their team bus, which was parked just past the end line, for half-time. I don't believe the visiting dressing room had heat yet.

The student section was still pretty packed, even as cold as it was. Everybody stood for most of the game, so we could keep jumping up and down to keep warm

Good Times!

Game was played 12/5/1970. Remember watching it on TV as I arrived as a freshman the next fall to the College.

The Hall was built back when the ACC was mostly a basketball focus conference and President Pascall had made a deal if we built it that we would get the next invite into the ACC. Sadly President Graves and the leaders that followed did not move forward or Tribe sports would be different today.
01-18-2018 12:23 PM
WillaMary08 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WillaMary
01-30-2018 04:39 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2018 04:39 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Excellent article on Knight:

http://collegeinsider.com/brian-mull/c40...lliamsburg
From the article:
So, the question remains, will he stay at William & Mary? It’s a question that crosses Shaver’s mind, but he’s not concerned.

Knight, who plans to enter the college’s esteemed business school next year and has a serious girlfriend at W&M, is comfortable on campus. He’s a fan favorite in the community and is enjoying his current career arc.

“I don’t plan on leaving this school,” he said. “The degree from here, it’s a great school, plus the camaraderie I’ve built here. I don’t think I’ll be able to build that anywhere else, the quality of friends that I have here and quality of the coaching staff I don’t think I’d find at many other schools and I don’t plan on going to look for it. My role would be different and I like my role on this team.”

01-30-2018 04:49 PM
mrjoolius Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-30-2018 04:49 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  
(01-30-2018 04:39 PM)WillaMary08 Wrote:  Excellent article on Knight:

http://collegeinsider.com/brian-mull/c40...lliamsburg
From the article:
So, the question remains, will he stay at William & Mary? It’s a question that crosses Shaver’s mind, but he’s not concerned.

Knight, who plans to enter the college’s esteemed business school next year and has a serious girlfriend at W&M, is comfortable on campus. He’s a fan favorite in the community and is enjoying his current career arc.

“I don’t plan on leaving this school,” he said. “The degree from here, it’s a great school, plus the camaraderie I’ve built here. I don’t think I’ll be able to build that anywhere else, the quality of friends that I have here and quality of the coaching staff I don’t think I’d find at many other schools and I don’t plan on going to look for it. My role would be different and I like my role on this team.”

All sounds like music to my ears and some great advertising for potential recruits.
(This post was last modified: 01-30-2018 05:57 PM by mrjoolius.)
01-30-2018 05:55 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

If THE tournament happens this year (as Nathan says "speak it into existence"), I can't help but believe at least one high quality big will jump into the 2018 recruiting class based on Nathan's example, and hopefully Drew Peterson will forego post grad and make the leap, also.

Thought it was an interesting comment by Tony regarding the prospect of playing Nathan as a #4.

01-30-2018 06:02 PM
TribePride91 Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M Tribe
Wow, that is a great article. I have no idea how the next 5 weeks are going to go, but to say that all of these guys on the 2017-18 team have impressed me would be an understatement. They appear to be a great group willing to play for each other. They also appear to want to play well very badly, but yet appear to be loose. I hope that our 2 games at home against Towson and Northeastern keep them confident in the future but never cocky. Nathan has made such enormous strides from last year. So has Connor and Justin. Matt has had an excellent first year as well. Finally, David has a chance to lead and has done extremely well for the most part. I hope they can stay focused each week for the next 5. It has been a very fun and exciting ride so far.
01-30-2018 06:28 PM
LeadBolt Offline
All American

This team has greatly exceeded my expectations to date. Their play early is where I hoped it would be toward the end of the season. Nathan is a large part of that with his improved play from last year. If they continue to progress, well this could be our Star Trek season, Boldly going where no W&M team has ever gone before.
01-30-2018 07:37 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.