Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Diesel Memorial Project wrapping up
Bookmark and Share
HuskieFootball Addict Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU, NIU, NIU
Diesel Memorial Project wrapping up
As 2017 comes to a close, we will be wrapping up our fundraising for the Diesel Memorial sculpture.
For anyone who may not know, the life size bronze sculpture has been installed on the west side of Huskie Stadium in the grassy area between the west grandstand & the Yordon Center. It looks amazing & if you have not yet seen it - be sure to go by & high five with Diesel anytime you are at NIU.

Our initial costs for the project we estimated at $25,000. Thankfully, we ended up coming in at $20,000 for the sculpture & some additional cost for the plaque that was mounted on the base.

At this time, we are just $850 short of paying off our debt completely. Looking for a last minute tax deduction? The Diesel Memorial Project is a not for profit 501 C (3) .

Thanks to all of you who have supported the memorial - it really turned out even better than we ever could have imagined! Merry Christmas & Happy New Year to everyone. GO HUSKIES!!!

https://www.gofundme.com/uqs9qmrn
12-18-2017 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

huskie1stdown Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU
RE: Diesel Memorial Project wrapping up
Is the statue still going to be moved around or is this where it always will be?
I would like to see it outside the convo on game day.
12-18-2017 04:10 PM
HuskieJohn Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
Great job!
12-18-2017 04:38 PM
Advertisement

bikechuck Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU Huskies
HFA, what a wonderful thing to have done for NIU. Thank you and your team that led this project for your leadership, your confidence and your persistence.
12-19-2017 01:58 PM
sarasotahuskie Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Donators
Yes, great job.

Sent from my SM-T820 using CSNbbs mobile app
12-19-2017 07:20 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(12-18-2017 04:10 PM)huskie1stdown Wrote:  Is the statue still going to be moved around or is this where it always will be?
I would like to see it outside the convo on game day.

Thanks for asking about this. Originally, yes - NIU wanted it to be movable. But they changed their minds & decided it was best to mount it permanently.

It is in a permanent location mounted on a concrete base on the west side of Huskie Stadium.

I am very proud to have been a part of this project. Working with HuskieBob - Bob Smith, Tom Bonnevier, Rick Radek & Renee Bemis has been a real privilege. This sculpture is a gift to all Huskie fans for many years to come. It took many people to make it happen. Thanks to all who donated & supported our efforts. 04-cheers
12-20-2017 12:19 PM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-20-2017 12:19 PM)HuskieFootball Addictpid='14914780 Wrote:  I am very proud to have been a part of this project. Working with HuskieBob - Bob Smith, Tom Bonnevier, Rick Radek & Renee Bemis has been a real privilege. This sculpture is a gift to all Huskie fans for many years to come. It took many people to make it happen. Thanks to all who donated & supported our efforts. 04-cheers

Adding thanks and appreciation to Huskie Football Addict all of you (above in bold) from the initial idea to the many steps in between. Stopped by the bank today in order to get the needed amount down to $600, so challenge to everyone who is convinced I'm always negative.....it's your turn.
12-20-2017 10:47 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

(12-20-2017 10:47 PM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-20-2017 12:19 PM)HuskieFootball Addictpid='14914780 Wrote:  I am very proud to have been a part of this project. Working with HuskieBob - Bob Smith, Tom Bonnevier, Rick Radek & Renee Bemis has been a real privilege. This sculpture is a gift to all Huskie fans for many years to come. It took many people to make it happen. Thanks to all who donated & supported our efforts. 04-cheers

Adding thanks and appreciation to Huskie Football Addict all of you (above in bold) from the initial idea to the many steps in between. Stopped by the bank today in order to get the needed amount down to $600, so challenge to everyone who is convinced I'm always negative.....it's your turn.

uiniu57- thank you THANK YOU!!! 04-bow 04-cheers That was an awesome thing to do. And at the bank directly so no loss of fees to go fund me!
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2017 09:48 AM by HuskieFootball Addict.)
12-21-2017 09:48 AM
uiniu57 Offline
All American

I Root For: Amanda Sauer
(12-21-2017 09:48 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  uiniu57- thank you THANK YOU!!! That was an awesome thing to do. And at the bank directly so no loss of fees to go fund me!

Appreciate but didn't really expect this kind note from you especially when my intent was to emphasize the gratitude to you specifically and everyone else who made this wonderful idea a reality.
But I figure I'll use this forum to say Merry Christmas to you, everyone on the Dog Pound (including those who that believe I'm not positive enough) and all of Huskie Nation.
Best wishes to coach Carey and everyone in the NIU football program as well as all of our athletes, so many of whom will be sacrificing much of the holiday to proudly represent Northern Illinois athletics.
12-23-2017 09:52 AM
Advertisement

Heisman

(12-23-2017 09:52 AM)uiniu57 Wrote:  
(12-21-2017 09:48 AM)HuskieFootball Addict Wrote:  uiniu57- thank you THANK YOU!!! That was an awesome thing to do. And at the bank directly so no loss of fees to go fund me!

Appreciate but didn't really expect this kind note from you especially when my intent was to emphasize the gratitude to you specifically and everyone else who made this wonderful idea a reality.
But I figure I'll use this forum to say Merry Christmas to you, everyone on the Dog Pound (including those who that believe I'm not positive enough) and all of Huskie Nation.
Best wishes to coach Carey and everyone in the NIU football program as well as all of our athletes, so many of whom will be sacrificing much of the holiday to proudly represent Northern Illinois athletics.

04-cheers Happy New Year
01-02-2018 02:56 PM
Heisman

As a final note for a great accomplishment made in 2017 - the Diesel Memorial Project - I wanted to let everyone know that the total cost amount of the Diesel bronze sculpture ended up at $20,000. Over all we were just a few hundred short of what we needed ( amazing! great job everyone who donated!) & some very generous folks on the Board of Directors made up the difference.

There is a plaque that is mounted on the base of the sculpture. The plaque - for those who are not in the area to see it reads:
Diesel, beloved member of our Huskie family, became a symbol of N.I.U. football when he was shown giving his "High Five" after a Huskie score during a nationally televised game on November 13, 2013. Between 2005 and 2013, Diesel patrolled the sidelines and helped celebrate scores in virtually every home, away and Bowl game the Huskies played.
This Memorial was made possible through the donations of hundreds of N.I.U. Alumni, Corporate sponsors, students, and fans.
Dedicated October 26, 2017.

I hope to see many many pictures of fans & kids on facebook high fiving with Diesel. Be sure to tag Diesel H when you share your pictures. Thanks all.

GO HUSKIES! 04-cheers
01-02-2018 03:24 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.