CFB today with an 8-team playoff
micahandme Offline
2nd String

I Root For: PSU
RE: CFB today with an 8-team playoff
(11-10-2017 03:22 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 12:13 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 12:12 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 07:06 AM)micahandme Wrote:  As long as college athletes are indentured servants to their universities (isn't that what the "pay for play" people always tell us?), they will do what their schools tell them to do.

And if playoff loser "Team X" is on television (even if they don't care to be there and are giving 50%, which I doubt happens), fans and bored Americans will watch.

Speaking of thick skulls :), I'm wondering when you will realize that this isn't about competition...it's about television entertainment. The bowls have NEVER meant anything. You're telling yourself that they did...and that they do currently. They don't.

Play on...

Did Fournette and McCaffery do what their schools told them to do last year? Nope. And this would be that times 50.

Did LSU and Stanford cancel their bowl games because of it? NO. Because the Sun and Citrus bowls pay a lot of money and ABC and CBS get a lot of viewers.

You don't get it. That's a whole lot different. The comment though was that the athletes will do what their schools tell them to do. And nothing could be further from the truth-as we've seen. This dumb ass message board proposal has no chance in hell of passing. NONE.

Dude...I've shown you respect...even though you're wrong. Please do the same towards me. If you are so confident in your opinion, why do you need to denigrate me?

I know you probably listen to a lot of NFL shows who make a big deal out of the "college stars are going to skip bowls" narrative...but here in the real world, each team only has a handful of guys with 1st round/2nd round potential. Yes, my Saquon Barkley or maybe even Mike Gesicki might skip our meaningless bowl game this year...but the other 100 athletes on PSU's roster won't. Might that make a difference in the ratings for TV...sure. But 3.1 million people watching PSU vs. TCU in the Cotton Bowl (for example) might not be 3.9 million...but it's still 3.1 million people.
11-10-2017 11:45 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(11-10-2017 11:45 PM)micahandme Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 03:22 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 12:13 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 12:12 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 07:06 AM)micahandme Wrote:  As long as college athletes are indentured servants to their universities (isn't that what the "pay for play" people always tell us?), they will do what their schools tell them to do.

And if playoff loser "Team X" is on television (even if they don't care to be there and are giving 50%, which I doubt happens), fans and bored Americans will watch.

Speaking of thick skulls :), I'm wondering when you will realize that this isn't about competition...it's about television entertainment. The bowls have NEVER meant anything. You're telling yourself that they did...and that they do currently. They don't.

Play on...

Did Fournette and McCaffery do what their schools told them to do last year? Nope. And this would be that times 50.

Did LSU and Stanford cancel their bowl games because of it? NO. Because the Sun and Citrus bowls pay a lot of money and ABC and CBS get a lot of viewers.

You don't get it. That's a whole lot different. The comment though was that the athletes will do what their schools tell them to do. And nothing could be further from the truth-as we've seen. This dumb ass message board proposal has no chance in hell of passing. NONE.

Dude...I've shown you respect...even though you're wrong. Please do the same towards me. If you are so confident in your opinion, why do you need to denigrate me?

I know you probably listen to a lot of NFL shows who make a big deal out of the "college stars are going to skip bowls" narrative...but here in the real world, each team only has a handful of guys with 1st round/2nd round potential. Yes, my Saquon Barkley or maybe even Mike Gesicki might skip our meaningless bowl game this year...but the other 100 athletes on PSU's roster won't. Might that make a difference in the ratings for TV...sure. But 3.1 million people watching PSU vs. TCU in the Cotton Bowl (for example) might not be 3.9 million...but it's still 3.1 million people.

The thing is, your proposal would see EVERY single guy who was going pro sit out the bowl game. EVERY last one. And it wouldn't just be the 1st round guys. It would be EVERY single one of them. There's a reason why you don't see 3rd place games in the NCAA tourney any longer. Because once you've lost in a playoff, you don't play again. This ain't double elimination NCAA baseball.

There's a reason why they had to put in provisions to make sure CCG losers didn't fall too far in the bowl pecking orders by the way. Because CCG losers were radioactive to bowls. This would be like that x a billion.
11-10-2017 11:56 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

and tell me. If the players do what the schools tell them, than how can Fournette and McCaffery sit out last years bowl games? Bottom line is they can't.
11-10-2017 11:58 PM
RUScarlets Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Rutgers
Most of the years when ND is in the hunt for the BCS and now playoff, you don't get a flat out eliminator game like this for both schools involved this late in the year. Gives the committee a pass to let ND decide it on the field vs a top ACC school that is also in contention. I think ND should start a series with VT and Clemson down the road although you never know who's going to be good in a given year.
(This post was last modified: 11-11-2017 08:16 AM by RUScarlets.)
11-11-2017 08:12 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

(11-10-2017 11:58 PM)stever20 Wrote:  and tell me. If the players do what the schools tell them, than how can Fournette and McCaffery sit out last years bowl games? Bottom line is they can't.

The schools simply say that any underclassman who won't play in the bowl game loses his scholarship. Seniors or early entrants into the draft...well, that's their call. But again, I think that everybody who's not a 1st round pick will want another chance to showcase himself for scouts.

That said, the only way I would concede defeat on this issue is if NFL scouts start advising 2nd round-7th round players to skip bowls. And then, after a low-round picking skipping, the NFL team still picks them without qualms. But at this point, most guys still want to be seen by the pros...and running backs are the most likely to see injuries which will crush their futures.
11-12-2017 12:05 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(11-12-2017 12:05 PM)micahandme Wrote:  
(11-10-2017 11:58 PM)stever20 Wrote:  and tell me. If the players do what the schools tell them, than how can Fournette and McCaffery sit out last years bowl games? Bottom line is they can't.

The schools simply say that any underclassman who won't play in the bowl game loses his scholarship. Seniors or early entrants into the draft...well, that's their call. But again, I think that everybody who's not a 1st round pick will want another chance to showcase himself for scouts.

That said, the only way I would concede defeat on this issue is if NFL scouts start advising 2nd round-7th round players to skip bowls. And then, after a low-round picking skipping, the NFL team still picks them without qualms. But at this point, most guys still want to be seen by the pros...and running backs are the most likely to see injuries which will crush their futures.

I just think the players would do it on their own. I don't think you understand the let down that these guys would have. And also everyone in their inner circle will be in their ears to not play.

And I think watch and see this years bowl season. i think we're going to see a lot more guys skipping the bowl games.
11-14-2017 11:56 AM
micahandme Offline
2nd String

(10-27-2017 08:42 AM)micahandme Wrote:  I'm generally NOT in favor of an 8-team playoff. Overall, I worry that it’ll dilute the regular season…and CFP has the BEST regular season in American sports.

But if the fervor ever grows enough for an 8-team playoff, here's the best way to go about it.

Have a quarterfinal at home stadiums of highest seeds, but NOT the week after the CCGs. The lower seeds could not pull off the travel that fast...the media would want to build up the hype for the games longer. It makes the higher seeds get a HUGE advantage (a few extra million revenue off the field; a rowdy, excited stadium to help on the field).

The main "problem" with this model is the "bowl placement issue." Bowl games traditionally are set in early December...and the bowls fall like dominos. The lower bowls don't want to set THEIRS, until they can see what the higher bowls get.

To resolve this, I think you simply save a spot for quarterfinal losers in the New Year's Six (Seven*). Would this kill some fan travel to bowl games? Absolutely. But bowls are mostly about TV viewership anyway...so I don't think this is a deal breaker. You are still keeping the top 13-15 teams in the country in games versus each other. Would teams be LESS motivated to play in the bowl game after losing the quarterfinal? Absolutely...but it's another chance to play a football game and get free travel/perks to a nice vacation destination.

Teasing it out below off of last year's seeding...interested in your thoughts on what the discussion would be TODAY if this was the model.

Quarterfinals...Friday Dec 16 and Saturday Dec 17.
#8 WMU (G5 rep) at #1 Alabama (SEC champ) (8pm FRIDAY)
#7 OU (Big 12 champ) at #2 Clemson (ACC champ) (1pm SAT)
#6 Michigan (at-large) at #3 OSU (at-large) (5pm SAT)
#5 Penn State (Big Ten champ) at #4 Washington (Pac12 champ) (9pm SAT)

BOWL GAMES
Orange—#11 Florida State (ACC). vs. CFP loser
Rose—#8 Wisconsin (Big Ten) vs. #9 USC (Pac12)
Cotton—#10 Colorado (at-large) vs. CFP loser
Sugar—#14 Auburn (SEC) vs. #12 Oklahoma State (Big 12)

*Citrus—CFP loser vs. CFP loser

CFP Semifinals
Peach and Fiesta. 1/8 winner vs. 4/5 winner. 2/7 winner vs. 3/6 winner.

All of this can be announced on Selection Sunday..so the entire bowl schedule can be set, except for the 5 bowls affected by the results of the quarterfinal.
Then later...to be determined by quarterfinal results...

*to allow for a place for all quarterfinal losers and continue conference guarantees, an additional bowl will need to be created in the New Year’s Six (now Seven)

I know we have to wait a bit for the CFP committee to release their opinions...but here's what my format would look like.

Friday, Dec. 15
#8 UCF (G5) at #1 Clemson (ACC) 8pm
Saturday, Dec. 16
#6 USC (Pac-12) at #3 Georgia (SEC) 12:30pm
#7 PSU (at-large) at #2 Oklahoma (Big 12) 4:30pm
#5 Alabama (at-large) at #4 Ohio State (Big Ten) 8:30pm

Bowls Announced on Dec. 3
Citrus--CFP loser vs. CFP loser
Peach--Auburn (SEC) vs. Michigan State (at-large)
Orange--Miami (ACC) vs. Wisconsin (Big Ten)
Fiesta--Washington (Pac-12) vs. Notre Dame (at-large)
Cotton--CFP loser vs. CFP loser

Teams with a gripe from the at-large spots? Wisconsin 12-1 (only one loss versus Penn State's two), Auburn 10-3 (beat Alabama, two losses versus playoff teams), Washington 10-2 (two close road losses).
12-03-2017 03:59 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.