Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Presbyterian Football in trouble? (may drop, go Pioneer
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Presbyterian Football in trouble? (may drop, go Pioneer
(11-16-2017 10:23 AM)Kaplony Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 08:05 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Gotta think NC A&T, UNC Central, South Carolina St, and Norfolk St will be looking at Hampton's choice to see how it goes

A 16 team Big South consisting of
North: Liberty, Longwood, Radford, Hampton, Norfolk St, High Point, NC A&T, UNC Central
South: Charleston Southern, USC Upstate, Presbyterian, Winthrop, South Carolina St, UNC Ashville, Gardner Webb, Campbell

With Football being a solid core of:
Hampton, Norfolk St, NC A&T, UNC Central, South Carolina St, Gardner Webb, Campbell, Charleston Southern w/ Kennesaw St and Monmouth as affiliates.

would be very stable and geographically friendly for everyone

South Carolina State has bigger problems than worrying about conferences.

Earlier this month they had to re-open the application period because they only received one application to fill 11 spots on the Board of Trustees. They have to have at least five or their accreditation is in jeopardy.

Not to mention the fact that due to budget cuts the football program could only recruit players from South Carolina in the last recruiting cycle, and they have to either extend HC Buddy Pough or replace him because his contract is up this year.

Oh wow
11-16-2017 11:03 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
You can break the MEAC down this way

1) Howard, FAMU, B-CU are viable D-I schools (Howard is a standout academically; Hampton fell in this group as well)
2) Norfolk State, NCCU, and AT are borderline D-I profiles (numbers look like D-II Cal State schools, but sustainable)
3) Delaware State has a D-II profile (D-I is a reach, but not a totally hopeless reach)
4) UMES, Savannah State, Coppin State have weak profiles even for D-II (marginal cash situations, should be cutting costs)
5) SC State is in really bad shape, somewhat similar to Chicago State

The first category are attractive candidates for other conferences. The rest are not really high value, and the bottom four schools are pretty much untouchable. The second category would have to work very hard to land anywhere, but it's not impossible, would just take time.

But yeah, if Howard goes, all of category 4 and 5 would be forced back down to D-II.
11-16-2017 01:03 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
NCCU and NCA&T would be in category 1 - enrollment close to 10K, research, doctoral programs, Professional schools, etc.

Savannah State is already dropping to DII.
11-16-2017 01:11 PM
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
(11-16-2017 01:03 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  You can break the MEAC down this way

1) Howard, FAMU, B-CU are viable D-I schools (Howard is a standout academically; Hampton fell in this group as well)
2) Norfolk State, NCCU, and AT are borderline D-I profiles (numbers look like D-II Cal State schools, but sustainable)
3) Delaware State has a D-II profile (D-I is a reach, but not a totally hopeless reach)
4) UMES, Savannah State, Coppin State have weak profiles even for D-II (marginal cash situations, should be cutting costs)

The first category are attractive candidates for other conferences. The rest are not really high value, and the bottom four schools are pretty much untouchable. The second category would have to work very hard to land anywhere, but it's not impossible, would just take time.

But yeah, if Howard goes, all of category 4 and 5 would be forced back down to D-II.

Nah, not really.

SC State's solution is to merge them with the other SC land-grant under one board. It would provide stabilization both financially and in leadership to SC State, would keep them out from under the overbearing thumb in Columbia, and would eliminate the ability of the SC legislature to use them as a political pawn as the state of SC can't stack the BOT at Clemson with political cronies by design. I would imagine that Clemson, unlike the USC system which would make them USC-Orangeburg, would even let them keep their own identity.
11-16-2017 01:30 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

(11-16-2017 01:11 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  NCCU and NCA&T would be in category 1 - enrollment close to 10K, research, doctoral programs, Professional schools, etc.

Savannah State is already dropping to DII.

The North Carolina schools lack deep endowment. I dropped FAMU to category 2 as well. That should fit better. Category 2 are all reasonably sized for D-I (FAMU, AT, NCCU, NSU), but the financial numbers and student mix is marginal. They really look like the profiles of D-II schools in the West, ignoring the HBCU part of the equation.

Savannah State is making a smart move. All of Category 4 & 5 should follow.

B-CU and Howard are attractive, with large endowments. They fully fit D-I profiles.
11-16-2017 01:33 PM
solohawks Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UNCW
FAMU and BCU would do very well geographically in the ASun for their programs other than football. Are there any MEAC schools the 2 really desire to play in football other than each other? If not the ASUN/Big South football combo may be appealing.
11-16-2017 03:12 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(11-16-2017 08:05 AM)solohawks Wrote:  Gotta think NC A&T, UNC Central, South Carolina St, and Norfolk St will be looking at Hampton's choice to see how it goes

A 16 team Big South consisting of
North: Liberty, Longwood, Radford, Hampton, Norfolk St, High Point, NC A&T, UNC Central
South: Charleston Southern, USC Upstate, Presbyterian, Winthrop, South Carolina St, UNC Ashville, Gardner Webb, Campbell

With Football being a solid core of:
Hampton, Norfolk St, NC A&T, UNC Central, South Carolina St, Gardner Webb, Campbell, Charleston Southern w/ Kennesaw St and Monmouth as affiliates.

would be very stable and geographically friendly for everyone

You forgot North Alabama.
11-16-2017 04:28 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

Seems numbers are off by different sites. UNC Central and A&T are listed a little over 10,000 students. Same with Jackson State, Texas Southern and Southern. Even Alabama State seems to be off a bit. The answers could be in between the highest and lowest. There are some HBCUs that have more students than some of the MEAC.
Clark Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Winston Salem State
Virginia State

Those four have more students than many. Langston in NAIA have a big growth recently as well. If they could move into the SWAC today? They would be third from last in students.
St. Phillips in Texas is the largest HBCU with students. I never even heard of them before.
11-16-2017 04:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(11-16-2017 04:42 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  

Seems numbers are off by different sites. UNC Central and A&T are listed a little over 10,000 students. Same with Jackson State, Texas Southern and Southern. Even Alabama State seems to be off a bit. The answers could be in between the highest and lowest. There are some HBCUs that have more students than some of the MEAC.
Clark Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Winston Salem State
Virginia State

Those four have more students than many. Langston in NAIA have a big growth recently as well. If they could move into the SWAC today? They would be third from last in students.
St. Phillips in Texas is the largest HBCU with students. I never even heard of them before.

And your point is ... ? None of this is relevant to the thread.

Winston-Salem State tried for D1 and it will be a long time IF they try again. Langston is growing but is still under 3,000. How are they going to move to the SWAC when they passed on an offer for D2. The only reason Langston has 10 sports is because indoor and outdoor track are counted separately. St. Phillips is out of the question since they are a community college with no athletic department.
11-16-2017 08:06 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-16-2017 08:06 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Clark Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Winston Salem State
Virginia State

Winston-Salem State tried for D1 and it will be a long time IF they try again. Langston is growing but is still under 3,000. How are they going to move to the SWAC when they passed on an offer for D2. The only reason Langston has 10 sports is because indoor and outdoor track are counted separately. St. Phillips is out of the question since they are a community college with no athletic department.

Last I saw, Langston is 3248 students total.

I am not saying they are, but schools like Bowie State, Virginia State and Fort Valley State might help out. Fort Valley State could be a bridge to the two Florida schools and the Alabama schools in the SWAC.

As it is, if I remember correctly, Langston was one of the founders of SWAC. They were thinking of moving to D2 a few years back.
11-16-2017 08:19 PM
Heelworld Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: UNC

Interesting, where does Morgan State fit in, you didn't include them?
11-17-2017 09:30 AM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(11-16-2017 08:19 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(11-16-2017 08:06 PM)AZcats Wrote:  

Clark Atlanta
Fort Valley State
Winston Salem State
Virginia State

Last I saw, Langston is 3248 students total.

I am not saying they are, but schools like Bowie State, Virginia State and Fort Valley State might help out. Fort Valley State could be a bridge to the two Florida schools and the Alabama schools in the SWAC.

As it is, if I remember correctly, Langston was one of the founders of SWAC. They were thinking of moving to D2 a few years back.

You have never posted a correct "fact", not even about the school you attended. Reputable sources, including the school website, state Langston enrollment under 3,000. As I posted before; Langston joined the SWAC in 1931, eleven years after the conference was founded. Yes, they thought about moving to D2 four years ago but they passed. Since they are not going D2, they certainly are not going to rejoin the SWAC.

You have used the reason "they fill a gap on the map" before. That is never a criteria for membership consideration. How else would those three schools help out? they already struggle financially in D2, there is no way they could afford D1.
11-17-2017 11:34 AM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2017 09:30 AM)Heelworld Wrote:  

Coppin State should be merged into Morgan State - they are only 6 miles apart
11-17-2017 12:22 PM
Fighting Muskie Online
Senior Chief Realignmentologist

I Root For: Ohio St, UC,MAC
(11-17-2017 12:22 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

What?! Why on earth would a state have two state HBCUs so close together? That makes no sense.

In reality Coppin St, Morgan St, UMES, Delaware St, and South Carolina St should all move to DII.

Howard, Norfolk St, NC Central, NC A&T, Florida A&M, and Bethune-Cookman could then migrate to regionally appropriate conferences.
11-17-2017 04:12 PM
dbackjon Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-17-2017 04:12 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  
(11-17-2017 12:22 PM)dbackjon Wrote:  

What?! Why on earth would a state have two state HBCUs so close together? That makes no sense.

In reality Coppin St, Morgan St, UMES, Delaware St, and South Carolina St should all move to DII.

Howard, Norfolk St, NC Central, NC A&T, Florida A&M, and Bethune-Cookman could then migrate to regionally appropriate conferences.

Morgan State was originally private, Coppin State was founded to be one of the State HBCU's. Maryland ended up buying Morgan State in the 30's.
11-17-2017 04:18 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
Presbyterian will transition to the Pioneer starting in 2021 and add new athletic programs ( likely M&W wrestling). In addition, it will be launching new majors and a Health Sciences and Pharmacy School.

http://www.presby.edu/about/2017/11/19/p...egic-plan/
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 06:15 PM by NoDak.)
11-19-2017 06:09 PM
TOPSTRAIGHT Offline
Heisman

I Root For: WKU
2021?? Drag it out--wow. Yes I know they have to consider players currently on scholarship,blah,blah--but...
11-19-2017 08:26 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Tow revenue games, in 2018 and 2019. They have to have 58 equivalent scholarships to qualify for those games. 2019 can be a JuCo heavy class, so they run out after 2020. They want to graduate as many of the players as they can, since they are thinking long term for donors to the school.

I think running Football for three years as scholarship, and those words about "new sports" almost partnered with "club sports" makes me think there is no immediate scholarship replacement. Wrestling is not in this announcement, and the room for scholarships wont be there for another three or four years. I have to think Men's Lacrosse or Men's and Women's swimming make more sense for this school based on the target demographic.

I noticed 4 of the bullets focused on medical field related major offerings, and 3 bullets were related to recruiting foreign students ("China Scholars", "United Nations", and living facilities on and off campus), while the others focused on post-PC placement, and shifting the emphasis of the curriculum to problems solving are designed to produce more alumni who donate large dollars. These are funding and sustainability points of emphasis.

It also means the Big South will have 8 schools for the next three years.
(This post was last modified: 11-19-2017 09:23 PM by Stugray2.)
11-19-2017 08:50 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(11-19-2017 08:50 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Tow revenue games, in 2018 and 2019. They have to have 58 equivalent scholarships to qualify for those games. 2019 can be a JuCo heavy class, so they run out after 2020. They want to graduate as many of the players as they can, since they are thinking long term for donors to the school.

I think running Football for three years as scholarship, and those words about "new sports" almost partnered with "club sports" makes me think there is no immediate scholarship replacement. Wrestling is not in this announcement, and the room for scholarships wont be there for another three or four years. I have to think Men's Lacrosse or Men's and Women's swimming make more sense for this school based on the target demographic.

I noticed 4 of the bullets focused on medical field related major offerings, and 3 bullets were related to recruiting foreign students ("China Scholars", "United Nations", and living facilities on and off campus), while the others focused on post-PC placement, and shifting the emphasis of the curriculum to problems solving are designed to produce more alumni who donate large dollars. These are funding and sustainability points of emphasis.

It also means the Big South will have 8 schools for the next three years.

So Stugray says Presbyterian will add m&w lacrosse instead of M&W wrestling. Wrong again.

http://www.clintonchronicle.com/sports/b...conference

Presbyterian becomes the first DI school to sponsor women's wrestling. There are a number of DIII, NAIA and maybe DII schools that sponsor it.
(This post was last modified: 12-08-2017 01:04 AM by NoDak.)
12-08-2017 12:29 AM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

Well, I guess you have an AD who wants it.
Can't see how that fits the profile of student the want to attract. Cross purposes IMO
12-08-2017 01:26 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.