Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Rothstein | Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team
Bookmark and Share
Transic_nyc Offline
1st String

I Root For: Return To Stability
Rothstein | Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team
https://www.fanragsports.com/rothstein-b...11th-team/

Quote:The Big East could be expanding to a 20-game conference schedule sometime in the near future. However, such a change is only likely if the heralded conference if able to add an 11th team into the fold, a source has informed FanRag Sports.

The league currently has 10 teams and plays its conference schedule by way of a double round-robin format.

“The double round-robin format is ideal,” one source told FanRag Sports. “That needs to be kept in place.”

FanRag Sports reported on Sunday that Big Ten head coaches have already voted in favor of going to a 20-game league schedule. As a result, such a shift is expected to begin during the 2018-19 season. Additionally, the ACC has already announced that it will go to 20 games during the 2019-20 season. FanRag Sports also reported last winter that the Big East and the UConn Huskies had initial talks regarding a potential partnership, but needed to find a solution and a new home for the Huskies’ football program.

It is also worth noting that Big East Media Day is scheduled for Wednesday at Madison Square Garden.
10-17-2017 04:58 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
RE: Rothstein | Big East could play 20 conference games if it adds 11th team
At media day, it wasn't a topic. Don't think there is any substance to Rothstein's story.
10-18-2017 04:51 PM
kmdhoya Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
It's probably not going to happen, but after playing two Big East teams last week (Creighton and Villanova), there were some more articles about Gonzaga being a candidate for Big East expansion.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/de...ed-or-the/

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/gonz...e997f.html
(This post was last modified: 12-11-2017 06:49 PM by kmdhoya.)
12-11-2017 10:22 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(12-11-2017 10:22 AM)kmdhoya Wrote:  It's probably not going to happen, but after playing two Big East teams last week (Creighton and Villanova), there were some more articles about Gonzaga being a candidate for Big East expansion.

http://www.spokesman.com/stories/2017/de...ed-or-the/

http://www.omaha.com/creighton/blog/gonz...e997f.html

IMO, it would be easier for Gonzaga to have a scheduling agreement with the Big East (home/home each year) than it would be more full membership.
12-11-2017 10:05 PM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
01-07-2018 12:59 PM
kmdhoya Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Georgetown
The Big East should remain at 10 members. The round robin is a nice format. The conference should aim to get 5 teams (50%) into the NCAA tournament each year.

UConn should wait to see that the next TV deal is with the AAC conference and wait/hope for an eventual invite to either the ACC or BIG conferences.
01-08-2018 09:17 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

(01-08-2018 09:17 AM)kmdhoya Wrote:  The Big East should remain at 10 members. The round robin is a nice format. The conference should aim to get 5 teams (50%) into the NCAA tournament each year.

UConn should wait to see that the next TV deal is with the AAC conference and wait/hope for an eventual invite to either the ACC or BIG conferences.

The Big East will only expand if it proves to provide more value to their TV deal, and/or it is a member that fits the profile of conference. While UConn is not a Catholic/Private university, it has a ton of history with five of the current members, and a decent history with a 6th (Marquette). The Big East would not hold back an opportunity to invite UConn because it is a state university. Nothing will be decided before 2020, which is when the American's TV deal ends. The earliest movement will be next year, when the AAC will (most likely) learn of its upcoming deal.

The tides can change quickly, but the way things are trending, my guess is that UConn is in the Big East for non-football in 2020-21. If UConn makes a basketball coaching change after the season, it could be the spark necessary to get things back on track (instead of a change in conference affiliation). However, the facts and figures do not lie: attendance against schools like UCF, USF, Tulane, Houston, SMU, Tulsa and East Carolina are not what they were against Villanova, Georgetown, Seton Hall, Providence and St. Johns. The proximity and geography of rivals cannot be understated. It increases fan and recruiting interest, not to mention cuts down substantially on travel (for basketball and other sports).

If UConn Football was successful in the American (which it hasn't been), or UConn Men's Basketball was still near the top of the American (which it hasn't been), this wouldn't even be under consideration. However, UCF has improved its image, brand and reputation. So has Houston. As has SMU. Even Tulane appears to be making strides improving as an athletic program in the American. With the rise of these programs, by law of averages, someone has to fall - and this has unquestionably been UConn. Memphis has really struggled in basketball, but football is booming. Cincinnati is still very strong in basketball (football is rebuilding). These programs have immensely benefited from a conference association with UConn, and UConn's only tunnel to success in the reconfigured American was to be at the top in both sports (for perception purposes). In this regard, UConn's affiliation with the American in 2013 was a lose/lose proposition: if it won (in these sports), it would not have been treated as big wins, but rather as a favorite winning against inferior/called-up competition; if it had lost (which it has been), it gives growth and development perception to those programs, who would end up elevating their respective programs (which has also happened).

UConn, along with ECU, is really the only program that is at the bottom in both football and men's basketball. That never happened in the old Big East. Unless that changes next year in both sports, I would anticipate UConn looking at all options in terms of improving its athletic programs (whether thats new coaches, new resources, new conference affiliations, etc.).
(This post was last modified: 01-08-2018 02:34 PM by GoldenWarrior11.)
01-08-2018 02:31 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Online
Legend

I Root For: Sports
I don't know how much travel would be helped being in the Big East.

This year- UConn travels to-
Tulsa
New Orleans
Memphis
Philly
Orlando
Wichita
Greenville, NC
Cincy
Houston

take Philly and Cincy out of the mix because they're duplicated in the Big East....

So-
Tulsa, New Orleans, Memphis, Orlando, Wichita, Greenville, Houston
vs
Newark, Omaha, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Providence, Washington DC, Chicago, New York City
but 18 vs 20 conference games would make it where the AAC group would have in all likely hood another home game. So the travel costs are pretty much nothing.

I think UConn will absolutely look at a coaching change before making any conference moves.
01-08-2018 02:53 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

UConn is a geographic outlier in the AAC. There are 4 current Big East schools within the radius of what is UConn-to-Temple - their closest school in the American. For Providence's nine conference road games this year, they travel 6,350. UConn, in comparison, travels 10,440 miles. Houston (only) travels 7,568 miles. Providence only makes two 1,000 mile trips in the Big East (Marquette and DePaul). UConn takes six (Tulsa, New Orleans, Memphis, Orlando, Wichita and Houston).
01-08-2018 03:01 PM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-08-2018 03:01 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  UConn is a geographic outlier in the AAC. There are 4 current Big East schools within the radius of what is UConn-to-Temple - their closest school in the American. For Providence's nine conference road games this year, they travel 6,350. UConn, in comparison, travels 10,440 miles. Houston (only) travels 7,568 miles. Providence only makes two 1,000 mile trips in the Big East (Marquette and DePaul). UConn takes six (Tulsa, New Orleans, Memphis, Orlando, Wichita and Houston).

Isn't Omaha over 1000 miles? I would sure think so.
01-08-2018 03:06 PM
Advertisement

Huskypride Offline
New Kid on the Block

I Root For: Competitive FB
(01-08-2018 02:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I don't know how much travel would be helped being in the Big East.

This year- UConn travels to-
Tulsa
New Orleans
Memphis
Philly
Orlando
Wichita
Greenville, NC
Cincy
Houston

take Philly and Cincy out of the mix because they're duplicated in the Big East....

So-
vs
Newark, Omaha, Indianapolis, Milwaukee, Providence, Washington DC, Chicago, New York City
but 18 vs 20 conference games would make it where the AAC group would have in all likely hood another home game. So the travel costs are pretty much nothing.

I think UConn will absolutely look at a coaching change before making any conference moves.

we are a good coach away from being back on top
01-08-2018 03:58 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
(01-08-2018 02:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  So-
vs

Travel's still better - Newark, New York, and Providence are all bus trips of 3 hours or less, while Washington is a shuttle flight shorter than any of the AAC cities named (and is still busable for non-revenue sports if you want). It's basically the four Midwestern BE cities versus the entire non-duplicated AAC in terms of notable travel.

(01-08-2018 02:53 PM)stever20 Wrote:  I think UConn will absolutely look at a coaching change before making any conference moves.

This seems likely. Agreed.

(01-08-2018 03:58 PM)Huskypride Wrote:  we are a good coach away from being back on top

For the short term, maybe. Part of what makes Ollie struggling so problematic, besides the obvious, is that as an alum with a NC under his belt already he would have been much harder to poach than normal. If UConn starts shopping for the best guy available regardless (which it looks like they need to do, so I'm not saying it's the wrong approach) like Dan Hurley or someone similar they run the risk of becoming a stepping stone job with their conference affiliation. Now, it's not the worst thing because it means your coach did well enough to be desirable, but it's going to be a hit to UConn's perception of itself if they're turning over MBB coaches every five years to the likes of Rutgers and Pitt.
(This post was last modified: 01-09-2018 09:55 AM by Bogg.)
01-09-2018 09:48 AM
GoldenWarrior11 Online
Heisman

Another legitimate question for UConn to consider long-term is - if the priority is football - whether or not being in the American is the best conference for their football program to reach both regional and national success. To be clear, the AAC is the top G5 football conference hands down. They will always be the favorite to grab that NY6 G5 bid, and they routinely have a few programs that are knocking on the door of the top-25. However, how does UConn compete against UCF, USF, Houston, SMU and Memphis now? They don't have the recruiting areas those schools do, and they have unquestionably leap-frogged them in the pecking order for a potential P5-invite if/when that day ever comes.

I am not advocating for UConn to the MAC for football or even UConn as an independent, but an honest question for UConn administration to consider, once again long-term, is how do they compete with these growing and expanding new programs? The Northeast simply is not a hotbed for football recruits, and what will stop the good ones from wanting to go South (where football is king) and play in Florida or Texas?
01-09-2018 10:44 AM
stever20 Online
Legend

(01-09-2018 10:44 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Another legitimate question for UConn to consider long-term is - if the priority is football - whether or not being in the American is the best conference for their football program to reach both regional and national success. To be clear, the AAC is the top G5 football conference hands down. They will always be the favorite to grab that NY6 G5 bid, and they routinely have a few programs that are knocking on the door of the top-25. However, how does UConn compete against UCF, USF, Houston, SMU and Memphis now? They don't have the recruiting areas those schools do, and they have unquestionably leap-frogged them in the pecking order for a potential P5-invite if/when that day ever comes.

I am not advocating for UConn to the MAC for football or even UConn as an independent, but an honest question for UConn administration to consider, once again long-term, is how do they compete with these growing and expanding new programs? The Northeast simply is not a hotbed for football recruits, and what will stop the good ones from wanting to go South (where football is king) and play in Florida or Texas?

the problem for UConn with football is they're in a catch 22 situation. You may very well be right about that- BUT the AAC is really so far ahead of everyone else except for maybe the MWC(and they're at least somewhat ahead of the MWC)- that winning the MAC is in large part meaningless. We saw last year that a 2 loss AAC team had a real shot to beat an undefeated MAC team.
01-09-2018 11:04 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.