Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Garbage Religion
Kaplony Offline
Palmetto State Deplorable

I Root For: Newberry
RE: Garbage Religion
(10-06-2017 12:39 PM)Ohio Poly Wrote:  
(10-06-2017 12:06 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:34 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Wasn't the Vegas shooter a Christian.

Nice try, but he was an atheist. Also, a registered Democrat.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

NRA guy.

Link?
10-06-2017 01:50 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
umbluegray Offline
Legend

I Root For: The Tigers!
You don't have to be religious to follow a moral code.

However, there is no basis for an objective moral code in a naturalistic world or atheistic world view.
10-06-2017 02:20 PM
BobcatEngineer Offline
1st String

I Root For: OHIO
"Nobody exists on purpose, nobody belongs anywhere, everybody's gonna die. Come watch TV."
10-06-2017 02:38 PM
ken d Offline
Heisman

I Root For: college sports
(10-06-2017 12:06 AM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  
(10-05-2017 08:34 PM)cb4029 Wrote:  Wasn't the Vegas shooter a Christian.

Nice try, but he was an atheist. Also, a registered Democrat.

Do you have any evidence for that statement?
10-06-2017 06:58 PM
ken d Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2017 02:20 PM)umbluegray Wrote:  You don't have to be religious to follow a moral code.

However, there is no basis for an objective moral code in a naturalistic world or atheistic world view.

What makes you think atheists are any less moral than god-believers?
10-06-2017 07:00 PM
Jjoey52 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ISU
Garbage Religion
Because they do not have absolute guidelines to follow and are not accountable to a supreme being.

(This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 07:34 PM by Jjoey52.)
10-06-2017 07:32 PM
stinkfist Online
laughing at MSM meltdown

I Root For: StL Blues & USM
(10-06-2017 07:32 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Because they do not have absolute guidelines to follow and are not accountable to a supreme being.

that's subjective thin ice you're skating on now.....

you don't want me to tee off with a 1-iron on that sentiment....

sometimes it's simply better to let it go.....
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 07:42 PM by stinkfist.)
10-06-2017 07:40 PM
ken d Offline
Heisman

(10-06-2017 07:32 PM)Jjoey52 Wrote:  Because they do not have absolute guidelines to follow and are not accountable to a supreme being.

Then why do some god-believers hold different moral values than other god-believers? And why can't atheists hold the same moral values as some god-believers? For that matter, how do you know which of the conflicting moral values god-believers, even adherents of the same religion, are the right ones?

All any of us can know are which moral values we believe in. And, of course, each of us believes our values are the "right" ones, or we wouldn't believe in them.
10-06-2017 08:51 PM
stinkfist Online
laughing at MSM meltdown

I Root For: StL Blues & USM
(10-06-2017 08:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Then why do some god-believers hold different moral values than other god-believers? And why can't atheists hold the same moral values as some god-believers? For that matter, how do you know which of the conflicting moral values god-believers, even adherents of the same religion, are the right ones?

All any of us can know are which moral values we believe in. And, of course, each of us believes our values are the "right" ones, or we wouldn't believe in them.

XACLY!

it's sad that many of the god fearing believe those that don't are malicious at heart...

nothing could be further from the truth....

I could easily argue religion has caused more strife and suffering throughout humanity than any concept of non-belief....
10-07-2017 12:23 AM
geosnooker2000 Offline
I got Cleopatra in the basement

I Root For: Tiger Football
(10-06-2017 08:51 PM)ken d Wrote:  

Because they are "buffet Christians". "I'll have a little of the forgiveness, a little of the Love Your God, but no thanks to the Love Thy Neighbor As Thy Self." If you come at the Bible from any denomination, you should come away with the same moral code as every other denomination, minus the mistakes OF the particular denominations.

For instance: Alcohol. I attend a Baptist church. I am a "Baptist" in membership, but not so much in philosophy. One of the tenants of The Southern Baptist Church is NO ALCOHOL WHAT SO EVER. But Jesus changed water into wine at the wedding. Now, I've sat in several services over my lifetime SMH over the pastor trying to explain to the congregation that "no, no, Jesus just turned that into grape juice." But the scripture says "Do not become drunk with wine, wherein is excess, but be filled with the Spirit..." It doesn't say Do not drink wine. It says do not become DRUNK with wine.

So I see the Southern Baptist Convention as wrong on this detail. Pretty much the only think I think they got wrong. They are trying to put their own moral code on the Bible. But if you JUST READ THE BIBLE, you and everybody else (who just reads the Bible - instead of relying on their pastor or priest to tell them what to think) will arrive at a lot closer agreement to each other on a common moral code.

Is there something specific you can name that people of different outlooks (faith vs. atheism vs. agnostic) do not agree on?

I can think of one. Abortion. People who do not believe in God would have no reason to think of morality with regard to killing a baby before it has been born.

Damn... it's late. I'm rambling. We beat the CHIT Out of UConn tonight... Signing off.
10-07-2017 02:34 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2017 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.