Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ESPN sleaze?
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
ESPN sleaze?
Looking at the schedule this week and ESPN has blanks by all the Big 12 games for its TV. Looking at the schedule, it appears they have chosen not to list Fox or FS1. They do have CBSSN games listed.

Now its possible Fox is really late with its schedule, but it seems just like ESPN being a jerk and providing poor information to its customers.
10-02-2017 05:30 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Mav Offline
1st String

I Root For: Omaha
RE: ESPN sleaze?
Now Big 12 fans get to feel how hockey fans felt since the mid-2000s.
10-02-2017 06:26 PM
PirateTreasureNC Offline
G's up, Ho's Down ; )

I Root For: ECU Pirates,
(10-02-2017 05:30 PM)bullet Wrote:  Looking at the schedule this week and ESPN has blanks by all the Big 12 games for its TV. Looking at the schedule, it appears they have chosen not to list Fox or FS1. They do have CBSSN games listed.

Now its possible Fox is really late with its schedule, but it seems just like ESPN being a jerk and providing poor information to its customers.

I have noticed they are late on having those 10 day tv windows listed in their scoreboards.

Conspiracy? I could actually believe it.
10-02-2017 07:12 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(10-02-2017 05:30 PM)bullet Wrote:  Looking at the schedule this week and ESPN has blanks by all the Big 12 games for its TV. Looking at the schedule, it appears they have chosen not to list Fox or FS1. They do have CBSSN games listed.

ESPN's website is not picking on the Big 12. They don't identify Fox or FS1 TV coverage for any of the college football games. It just happens that, for this Saturday, there are 4 Big 12 games, 1 on Big Fox and the other 3 on FS1.

For whatever reason, this doesn't extend to pro sports -- ESPN's NFL and MLB listings are showing the TV outlet for all games.

Speculation: The reason for the omission on the CFB listings is that Fox doesn't permit ESPN's website to use video clips from Fox/FS1 CFB games.
10-02-2017 08:51 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
I’m ok with a company not advertising their competitors product.
10-02-2017 10:39 PM
TodgeRodge Offline
All American

I Root For: Todge
they have done this for years including NBC ND games and games on any Fox channel or any other channel

as stated above why let people know where to find the game if they are too stupid to find it themselves
10-02-2017 11:26 PM
Advertisement

tcufrog86 Offline
All American

I Root For: TCU & Wisconsin
Just went to ESPN and on the CFB scoreboard they show Fox by the OU vs. ISU game, FS1 by the TCU vs. WVU game, etc... Must have just been late getting them put up there.
10-03-2017 08:12 AM
BadgerMJ Offline
All American

I Root For: Wisconsin / ND
Gamesmanship - the art of winning games by using various ploys and tactics to gain a psychological advantage.

That's all it is. The Eastcoast Sports Programming Network "inadvertently" leaves Fox/FS1 off their list of games.

People express outrage and come up with conspiracy theories when in reality it's most likely nothing more than a little "dig" at the competition.
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 08:18 AM by BadgerMJ.)
10-03-2017 08:17 AM
orangefan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Syracuse
I find it interesting that they list ACC games on Raycom and RSNs as ACCNE, the same reference they use for games shown on ACC Network Extra, ESPN's ACC streaming service..
(This post was last modified: 10-03-2017 10:37 AM by orangefan.)
10-03-2017 10:35 AM
Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
(10-03-2017 10:35 AM)orangefan Wrote:  I find it interesting that they list ACC games on Raycom and RSNs as ACCNE, the same reference they use for games shown on ACC Network Extra, ESPN's ACC streaming service..

That's because they only tell you how to view them through the WatchESPN app... you may be able to get the game on an antenna, but they won't tell you how.

Honestly, I'm ok with that. If you can't figure it out without help, go to theacc.com
10-03-2017 12:47 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
I grew up watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson and when a star was on the show who appeared in a TV show that was on ABC or CBS, you never once heard uttered that you could watch Happy Days on ABC or All in the Family on CBS. It was simply "on another network" on whatever night.

Now I'm not sure what the dust up is here because my ESPN app tells me that the Big 12 has one game on Fox and three games on FS1 come Saturday. The Pac-12 has two on Pac-12 Network, one on Fox, one on FS1 and one on ESPN. The B1G has three on BTN, one on Fox, two on ABC and one on ESPN2.
10-03-2017 02:02 PM
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-03-2017 08:12 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  Just went to ESPN and on the CFB scoreboard they show Fox by the OU vs. ISU game, FS1 by the TCU vs. WVU game, etc... Must have just been late getting them put up there.

I remember TCU having an incredible run during an era when TCU played in a conference (MWC) that didn’t have a tv contract with ESPN. TCU was boycotted by ESPN until they got into the Big 12. I remember telling my brother about how good TCU was one year (2009 or 2010) and he said he didn’t know that, I said watch sportscenter on Saturday and see them show highlights of the top 25 teams that played that day. He did. He told me he was amazed when ESPN simply showed the score of two top 10 teams with no highlights. It was either TCU vs BYU or Utah. He said he’d never seen that before. I told him ESPN does that all the time to TCU.
I made a lot of money on 2 bowl games:
2008 Sugar Bowl-Alabama vs Utah. Utah blew them out.
2010 Rose Bowl-Wisconsin vs TCU. TCU won.
I made money because I bet on the better team, but no one else realized they were better because ESPN refused to show their highlights.
10-03-2017 08:51 PM
CAJUNNATION Offline
1st String

I Root For: Western Civilization
(10-03-2017 02:02 PM)arkstfan Wrote:  I grew up watching the Tonight Show with Johnny Carson....

Same here.

One of the best days of my life is when my parents let me keep a small black and white TV in my room. Went to sleep every weeknight watching Johnny.
10-06-2017 02:51 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-03-2017 08:51 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(10-03-2017 08:12 AM)tcufrog86 Wrote:  Just went to ESPN and on the CFB scoreboard they show Fox by the OU vs. ISU game, FS1 by the TCU vs. WVU game, etc... Must have just been late getting them put up there.

I remember TCU having an incredible run during an era when TCU played in a conference (MWC) that didn’t have a tv contract with ESPN. TCU was boycotted by ESPN until they got into the Big 12. I remember telling my brother about how good TCU was one year (2009 or 2010) and he said he didn’t know that, I said watch sportscenter on Saturday and see them show highlights of the top 25 teams that played that day. He did. He told me he was amazed when ESPN simply showed the score of two top 10 teams with no highlights. It was either TCU vs BYU or Utah. He said he’d never seen that before. I told him ESPN does that all the time to TCU.
I made a lot of money on 2 bowl games:
2008 Sugar Bowl-Alabama vs Utah. Utah blew them out.
2010 Rose Bowl-Wisconsin vs TCU. TCU won.
I made money because I bet on the better team, but no one else realized they were better because ESPN refused to show their highlights.

Yea I made money on that Wisconsin TCU game too. I watched TCU that year and they seemed to be very underrated.
10-06-2017 07:34 PM
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
(10-02-2017 06:26 PM)Mav Wrote:  Now Big 12 fans get to feel how hockey fans felt since the mid-2000s.

Yep.

When ESPN made the decision to pursue the NBA, they also made the decision to cut the NHL off at its knees.

From a pure business standpoint it makes sense. The NBA and the NHL are direct competitors. Their seasons are almost identical and they are competing for eyeballs every single night.

The NBA is more popular than the NHL and there’s no disputing that fact. However, if you went by ESPN’s coverage, you would believe that the NHL is a dead or dying league and that’s just not true.

However, ESPN simply will not talk about the NHL unless something bad happens, at which point they are all too happy to talk about the NHL. It’s really strange to be at an NHL game and see Sidney Crosby – the LeBron James of the NHL – do something amazing like record a five point night – which is basically the equivalent of James scoring 50–60 points in a game – and it gets a only a cursory mention on ESPN, if it even gets that much attention.

It’s going to get worse in the coming years because the best player in the league for the next 10–12 years is going to be Edmonton center, Connor McDavid. However, he plays for Canadian franchise and they are simply not going to cover a Canadian franchise, no matter how good McDavid eventually becomes.

That is where the Big 12 is right now and it is bolony and it is vicious.
(This post was last modified: 10-06-2017 09:17 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
10-06-2017 09:14 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(10-06-2017 11:22 PM)BKTopper Wrote:  Ball State: a buildable brand, famous alum in David Letterman who pimps them out constantly, had that amazing season in (09? 08?), non "directional" name, one horse town that needs a hero (Muncie, IN), 3rd largest FBS school in the state, no pulse in bball despite being in IN...

No offense Sir, but what do your last 4 posts have to do with the topic “espn sleaze”—?
10-06-2017 11:41 PM
Advertisement

Hokie Mark Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: VT, ACC teams
There are so many threads which call ESPN sleazy (or worse) because they don't promote games on other networks. What about the Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12 being sleazy for splitting their games in order to extract more money out of ESPN and Fox? Isn't that just as sleazy? How can one be a business decision without both being treated that way?
01-wingedeagle
10-08-2017 07:48 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-08-2017 07:48 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  There are so many threads which call ESPN sleazy (or worse) because they don't promote games on other networks. What about the Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12 being sleazy for splitting their games in order to extract more money out of ESPN and Fox? Isn't that just as sleazy? How can one be a business decision without both being treated that way?
01-wingedeagle

ESPN is supposed to provide information. That is their business. But they choose not to provide that information apparently until late in the week. It would be like the NY Post not providing information on the Jets because the Giants advertise with them and the Jets only advertise on the NY Times.
10-08-2017 10:08 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(10-08-2017 10:08 AM)bullet Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 07:48 AM)Hokie Mark Wrote:  There are so many threads which call ESPN sleazy (or worse) because they don't promote games on other networks. What about the Big Ten, Big XII and Pac-12 being sleazy for splitting their games in order to extract more money out of ESPN and Fox? Isn't that just as sleazy? How can one be a business decision without both being treated that way?
01-wingedeagle

ESPN is supposed to provide information. That is their business. But they choose not to provide that information apparently until late in the week. It would be like the NY Post not providing information on the Jets because the Giants advertise with them and the Jets only advertise on the NY Times.

You seem to be under the impression that ESPN's goal is to act in the public good.

Sometimes ESPN's actions result in public goods (such as ESPN3 - a godsend). But that's just a byproduct of them attempting to maximize their profit.
10-09-2017 05:40 PM
bullet Offline
Legend

(10-09-2017 05:40 PM)Captain Bearcat Wrote:  
(10-08-2017 10:08 AM)bullet Wrote:  
01-wingedeagle

You seem to be under the impression that ESPN's goal is to act in the public good.

Sometimes ESPN's actions result in public goods (such as ESPN3 - a godsend). But that's just a byproduct of them attempting to maximize their profit.

You don't seem to understand customer service. If their website leaves out information, they are providing poor service to their customers. And they NEED the website to be successful.
10-09-2017 10:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.