Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

NIU/SDSU game thread
Bookmark and Share
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
RE: NIU/SDSU game thread
(10-01-2017 01:22 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 10:58 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Blake and Tears were beating those corners so badly on fly routes you have to dial up a deep ball again. The way Carey yelled at Santa I have to believe prior to the play he said - we are going deep, but only throw it if he's wide open. You can say keep running the ball....but you have no idea if Huff would have gotten stuffed on the next two downs. Because you're successful a few runs in a row, that doesn't mean "you can stuff it down their throats" all the way to the end zone. They were open on almost all of those deep routes. Take them. Trying to run 15 times without a hold or fumble isn't easy.

Why? To waste a down? Same crap against BC. The risk is higher than return. Like calling a TO with 35 seconds til half when 90 seconds earlier you were tryigng to runthe clock out!

If you think you can get an easy score, you take it. And while I would have liked them to continue to run it, I get the idea of taking a shot - if it's there. The plays not bad, but putting that decision in santas hands is bad. Huff was running great, but SDSU wasn't going to let you run Huff 10 straight times into the end zone on that drive without changing defenses. They had 8 in the box on that play. Probably would have been 9 on the next. A pass was coming on that drive at some point. That was when they chose to do it and the pass was horribly underthrown.
10-01-2017 02:24 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU
When we get to the red zone let's just bring Childers in automatically and run it in. When we have second and long or third and long, bring Santa back in. We should be able to run it in against the MAC teams we will be facing with Childers and Huff.
10-01-2017 02:37 PM
armour248 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(10-01-2017 01:43 PM)badmoonrising13 Wrote:  All this moron has ever done is make personal attacks with nothing to back it up. He is beyond disgusting. It's obvious the coaches made a huge mistake at the end but he wants to blame a kid who played his heart out. He's a disgusting idiot.

Are you still talking about me? I'm honored. I also have no idea when I've ever personally attacked anyone...player, coach or member of this board. It sounds like you have some serious mental or emotional issues. It's a football game. We lost. Go enjoy your family or friends for a few minutes and move on.
10-01-2017 02:37 PM
randyfensfanclub1 Offline
All American

(10-01-2017 02:24 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 10:58 AM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  Blake and Tears were beating those corners so badly on fly routes you have to dial up a deep ball again. The way Carey yelled at Santa I have to believe prior to the play he said - we are going deep, but only throw it if he's wide open. You can say keep running the ball....but you have no idea if Huff would have gotten stuffed on the next two downs. Because you're successful a few runs in a row, that doesn't mean "you can stuff it down their throats" all the way to the end zone. They were open on almost all of those deep routes. Take them. Trying to run 15 times without a hold or fumble isn't easy.

Why? To waste a down? Same crap against BC. The risk is higher than return. Like calling a TO with 35 seconds til half when 90 seconds earlier you were tryigng to runthe clock out!

If you think you can get an easy score, you take it. And while I would have liked them to continue to run it, I get the idea of taking a shot - if it's there. The plays not bad, but putting that decision in santas hands is bad. Huff was running great, but SDSU wasn't going to let you run Huff 10 straight times into the end zone on that drive without changing defenses. They had 8 in the box on that play. Probably would have been 9 on the next. A pass was coming on that drive at some point. That was when they chose to do it and the pass was horribly underthrown.

Who was "thinking" it was there? They have run this play a few times, namely vs. BC Cost them a down, field position and they missed a kick. High risk, low reward on a short field. Not an easy read/pass.
10-01-2017 03:14 PM
Rabid Squirrel Offline
Heisman

I Root For: NIU Huskies
(10-01-2017 03:14 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  

Who was "thinking" it was there? They have run this play a few times, namely vs. BC Cost them a down, field position and they missed a kick. High risk, low reward on a short field. Not an easy read/pass.

That's not really a high risk pass. A slant over the middle where line man could deflect it or someone can jump in front of the route, that's high risk. There was no over the top safety help(because they were coming up for run support). It's just your WR and 1 db trailing. The only way to screw it up is to terribly under throw it. Even if you under throw it a little bit, your WR can play defender. But to throw it short on a frozen rope like Santa did, that's worst case. It gave Tears no time to react to prevent the int.

I don't like the call, but I'm not going to crucify it either. As I said, the defense had just put an extra guy in the box on the play previous. it would have been difficult to run the ball all the way in. Anything you do with a young QB carries a xtra risk, but I think you'll see much better days ahead in conference play for Santa.
10-01-2017 03:35 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
The passion from our NIU fans online for this game was incredible.
Over 200 people were online,late at night.
NIU players and coaches can all hold their head up high. (Accept for the eye poke),
NIU played very well.
NIU won the game in several areas against a ranked team that hopefully will go undefeated and get an Access bowl slot.
It was incredible to play SDSU.
They are arguably potentially the best G6 team.
We improved from last year.
We improved from the first half.
When you play great teams they can punish you for mistakes.
SDSU's KO TD by their #2 receiver showed the depth of SDSU talent.
Their QB was excellent, their RB's amongst the finest around.
To have NIU playing in a large stadium infront of a national audience for two successive games
Is something to savor and appreciate.

I am really proud of this FB team and the progress they have shown.
This potentially barring injuries could be a great year.

Beating Nebraska and playing a great ranked team to the wire, are what memories are made of.
10-01-2017 04:17 PM
NIU84 Offline
1st String

sterling1man - you're almost poetic here :)

I am officially past the game now, it's history. 24 hour rule ended early for me. Have the eye gauge fallout playout, in the public eye (not a pun), apologize, punish him, and move on.

Kent State next? Let's pound them into submission...44-9...something like that.
10-01-2017 04:27 PM
MaddDawgz02 Offline
Banned

I Root For: any UT opponent
Now with 24 hours of separation and rewatching the game it is easier to be more rational. Imo, that end of half gift was huge and a huge part of the outcome. Milking clock is only a good idea when you can actually milk the clock. That was essentially a turnover by giving them an extra possession
10-01-2017 09:11 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-01-2017 09:11 PM)MaddDawgz02 Wrote:  Now with 24 hours of separation and rewatching the game it is easier to be more rational. Imo, that end of half gift was huge and a huge part of the outcome. Milking clock is only a good idea when you can actually milk the clock. That was essentially a turnover by giving them an extra possession

Yea, and both losses we gave up quick scores right before halftime. Not sure what's up with that.
10-01-2017 09:15 PM
Teamduh Offline
1st String

I Root For: NIU Northern Il
(10-01-2017 03:35 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  

That's not really a high risk pass. A slant over the middle where line man could deflect it or someone can jump in front of the route, that's high risk. There was no over the top safety help(because they were coming up for run support). It's just your WR and 1 db trailing. The only way to screw it up is to terribly under throw it. Even if you under throw it a little bit, your WR can play defender. But to throw it short on a frozen rope like Santa did, that's worst case. It gave Tears no time to react to prevent the int.

I don't like the call, but I'm not going to crucify it either. As I said, the defense had just put an extra guy in the box on the play previous. it would have been difficult to run the ball all the way in. Anything you do with a young QB carries a xtra risk, but I think you'll see much better days ahead in conference play for Santa.
The call was fine. The throw was 11 yards too short. If he throws to back endzone it is fine, either TD or incomplete. This is what you get with inexperienced QBs, uneven play. He will only improve from here.

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk
10-02-2017 12:29 PM
shack66 Offline
2nd String

(10-02-2017 12:29 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 01:22 PM)randyfensfanclub1 Wrote:  Why? To waste a down? Same crap against BC. The risk is higher than return. Like calling a TO with 35 seconds til half when 90 seconds earlier you were tryigng to runthe clock out!

The call was fine. The throw was 11 yards too short. If he throws to back endzone it is fine, either TD or incomplete. This is what you get with inexperienced QBs, uneven play. He will only improve from here.

+1 threw a button and receiver ran a go. I spears stops and comes back it's still a 50/50 ball and not needed at the time. Only option was to throw to Pilon or out the back of the end zone. Huff was also taking himself out on the drive. At least twice, tapped himself on the helmet. It's not known if he could have gone so many carries in a row or not. So many ifs. Jones was clearly not as effective as Huff. He did run for a first down on the drive, but my confidence is not as high with him end there to pound the ball without Huff.

The call was a run/pass play. Carry does not make the checks. If the D is stacked in the hole that was called and Huff got stuffed, you'd be all over Carry for running the ball too much and not mixing it up. The fault is on the execution not the coach. and would be on coach U more than Carry. Take you linch party elsewhere. You're not clear or consistent with your observation. Badmoon is related to Huff. So far he's doing awesome this year. That doesn't mean he didn't have issues in the past. If fact this is the first game this year that he ran with power. He's been tentative up till now. Good to see and I hope it continues. He also did a great job in protection this week. Something he has been lacking in the past. Great game by Huff.
10-02-2017 03:34 PM
NIUAlum90 Offline
All American

Don't give up opening TD, short 33 yards TD and pick 6 and we win 28-13.

Our team played their hearts out. We dominated them on Defense. We exposed their corner. Wonder if someone knocks them off this week?
10-04-2017 06:30 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

(10-02-2017 03:34 PM)shack66 Wrote:  
(10-02-2017 12:29 PM)Teamduh Wrote:  
(10-01-2017 02:24 PM)Rabid Squirrel Wrote:  If you think you can get an easy score, you take it. And while I would have liked them to continue to run it, I get the idea of taking a shot - if it's there. The plays not bad, but putting that decision in santas hands is bad. Huff was running great, but SDSU wasn't going to let you run Huff 10 straight times into the end zone on that drive without changing defenses. They had 8 in the box on that play. Probably would have been 9 on the next. A pass was coming on that drive at some point. That was when they chose to do it and the pass was horribly underthrown.

+1 threw a button and receiver ran a go. I spears stops and comes back it's still a 50/50 ball and not needed at the time. Only option was to throw to Pilon or out the back of the end zone. Huff was also taking himself out on the drive. At least twice, tapped himself on the helmet. It's not known if he could have gone so many carries in a row or not. So many ifs. Jones was clearly not as effective as Huff. He did run for a first down on the drive, but my confidence is not as high with him end there to pound the ball without Huff.

The call was a run/pass play. Carry does not make the checks. If the D is stacked in the hole that was called and Huff got stuffed, you'd be all over Carry for running the ball too much and not mixing it up. The fault is on the execution not the coach. and would be on coach U more than Carry. Take you linch party elsewhere. You're not clear or consistent with your observation. Badmoon is related to Huff. So far he's doing awesome this year. That doesn't mean he didn't have issues in the past. If fact this is the first game this year that he ran with power. He's been tentative up till now. Good to see and I hope it continues. He also did a great job in protection this week. Something he has been lacking in the past. Great game by Huff.

LOL!!! I'm relate to Huff and Santa!!!! 03-lmfao
10-05-2017 05:58 PM
McQuervo Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: SDSU
(10-04-2017 06:30 AM)NIUAlum90 Wrote:  Don't give up opening TD, short 33 yards TD and pick 6 and we win 28-13.

Our team played their hearts out. We dominated them on Defense. We exposed their corner. Wonder if someone knocks them off this week?

Really? That was a good game but really "Dominated?"

Doubt U Lower Nevada beats us but odder things have happened (they lost to Howard their first game).

Best of luck!
10-06-2017 10:57 AM
badmoonrising13 Offline
Hall of Famer

Long coached to the situation and gave SDSU the best chance to win. Pretty sure SDSU would have liked its chances had we even scored the TD and gave them 2:30 on the clock needing just a FG...
10-06-2017 11:34 AM
7 Offline
The Pride of the Midwest

(10-06-2017 10:57 AM)McQuervo Wrote:  
(10-04-2017 06:30 AM)NIUAlum90 Wrote:  Don't give up opening TD, short 33 yards TD and pick 6 and we win 28-13.

Doubt U Lower Nevada beats us but odder things have happened (they lost to Howard their first game).

Best of luck!

NIU dominated in every way other than the score.

Give SDSU credit, they found a way to win and that’s all that matters.
10-06-2017 12:33 PM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(10-06-2017 12:33 PM)7 Wrote:  

Best of luck!

NIU dominated in every way other than the score.

Give SDSU credit, they found a way to win and that’s all that matters.

And turnovers.
10-06-2017 01:19 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:

Best of luck!

I would love to see SDSU go undefeated and win by bigger margins then the victory over NIU.

Would help us NIU fans appreciate how good out FB team really is, and how greatly it has improved from last year.
10-06-2017 02:19 PM
sterling1man Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Boise State 21 SDSU 0 almost end of 2nd quarter.
T
10-14-2017 10:56 PM
DiehardHuskie Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: The Hard Way
Fresno pounded San Diego St last night, 27-3. Second loss in a row for the mighty Aztecs.
10-22-2017 10:39 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.