Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CUSA offseason baseball thread
Bookmark and Share
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

I Root For: Southern Miss
Question CUSA offseason baseball thread
Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

Should have some scheduling news over the next few months. LSU was the first to release their schedule, with others to follow in the coming weeks. Things really pick up in September and October. Working on a CUSA scheduling sheet that includes all 12 conference teams. Not much yet, but have a couple USM and LaTech games filled.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1...sp=sharing

Also working on a returning production sheet. This is going to change over the fall and winter, since only one team has released their official roster for 2018 (MTSU). The current sheet assumes that all non-seniors that weren't drafted will return for 2018. Obviously, this isn't going to happen, because of transfers/departures. But it should give people a decent idea of what teams lose/return for 2018.

I used innings pitched as the metric for returning production on the mound. I used "bases earned" as the metric for returning production at the plate. The formula is total bases + HBP + BB + SB - GIDP - CS. Not perfect, but I feel like this should be fairly reliable.

[Image: O0g76uX.png]

[Image: wx48kIj.png]
(This post was last modified: 08-17-2017 12:40 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-12-2017 06:42 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

eaglebeaver Offline
Heisman

I Root For: southern miss
RE: CUSA offseason baseball thread
(08-12-2017 06:42 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

Should have some scheduling news over the next few months. LSU was the first to release their schedule, with others to follow in the coming weeks. Things really pick up in September and October. Working on a CUSA scheduling sheet that includes all 12 conference teams. Not much yet, but have a couple USM and LaTech games filled.

Also working on a returning production sheet. This is going to change over the fall and winter, since only one team has released their official roster for 2018 (MTSU). The current sheet assumes that all non-seniors that weren't drafted will return for 2018. Obviously, this isn't going to happen, because of transfers/departures. But it should give people a decent idea of what teams lose/return for 2018.

I used innings pitched as the metric for returning production on the mound. I used "bases earned" as the metric for returning production at the plate. The formula is total bases + HBP + BB + SB - GIDP - CS. Not perfect, but I feel like this should be fairly reliable.

[Image: jm0hAsX.png]

[Image: XGJR9o8.png]

Boring Satdee huh Beagle?04-cheers
08-12-2017 07:32 PM
Volkmar Offline
All American

I Root For: U.T.S.A.
I'm not the biggest baseball fan in the world, but you just might be (lol). Impressive that you're already starting spreadsheets and stuff this far removed from the upcoming season.
08-12-2017 09:09 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
owl at the moon Offline
Eastern Screech Owl

I Root For: rice,smu,uh,unt
Lots to digest there, but let's start by underlining Marshall's returning pitching. 98.5% of innings pitched returning. Let that sink in.

I don't know how often - if ever - you'll see a college team in ANY sport return 98.5% of ANYTHING.
08-13-2017 07:04 AM
RonBurgundy Offline
Channel 4 News Team

I Root For: Louisiana Tech
We're gonna be terrible next year. Returning next to nothing.
08-13-2017 06:01 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 06:01 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  We're gonna be terrible next year. Returning next to nothing.

You guys have a couple of JUCO transfers I like. Ben Stiglets is a JCJC guy that led the MACJC in ERA and WHIP. Not going to K a lot of guys but will get groundballs and won't walk anyone. Logan Robbins is another JCJC product that's going to log some serious innings for Tech. He's more of a strikeout guy than Stiglets.

I think Stiglets/Robbins/Griffen is a pretty competent rotation in this league. Don't think you guys have the offense or pitching depth to make a real run at the regular season title or a regional. But I'd bet on Tech making it to Biloxi somewhere in the 4-6 seed range.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 08:53 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-13-2017 08:52 PM
Advertisement

Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
Awesome thread! Always like to see some baseball talk!!

Charlotte has a nice OOC schedule so far for the 2018 season.

ECU will come to Charlotte for a weekend as part 2 of the H&H.

Arkansas will come to Charlotte for a weekend as the 1st part of a H&H.

Niners will travel to UGa for a weekend as a return trip from their visit here 2 years ago.

That's 3 pretty good weekends!
08-13-2017 09:07 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 09:07 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  Awesome thread! Always like to see some baseball talk!!

Niners will travel to UGa for a weekend as a return trip from their visit here 2 years ago.

Wow, that's outstanding. ECU and Arkansas playing you guys in a weekend series (in Charlotte, no less) is awesome.

Any idea of the dates for those games? Might put in a TBA part of the scheduling spreadsheet for games with no date yet.
(This post was last modified: 08-13-2017 09:20 PM by BeagleUSM.)
08-13-2017 09:18 PM
XYZ Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Various
(08-12-2017 06:42 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Only 188 days until first pitch! Ha.

[Image: jm0hAsX.png]

[Image: XGJR9o8.png]

FIU is another school that has very few returning next season but has a large group of talented young players coming in especially on the mound. They did lose alot of recruits to the draft on offense as well as a couple to JUCO but still should be a good young team, though offensively will likely struggle. In a couple years though they should be back as a regional caliber team.
08-13-2017 09:35 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-13-2017 09:35 PM)XYZ Wrote:  FIU is another school that has very few returning next season but has a large group of talented young players coming in especially on the mound. They did lose alot of recruits to the draft on offense as well as a couple to JUCO but still should be a good young team, though offensively will likely struggle. In a couple years though they should be back as a regional caliber team.

Agreed. Melendez is going to overhaul that roster and will have that program very competitive in a few years.

I like their frontline pitching. Tyler Myrick and Nick MacDonald were solid in 2017 as freshman. Very curious to see how Logan Allen and Christian Santana develop. That was a big deal getting both of them to sign.
08-13-2017 11:01 PM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
Construction of the rally alley at ODU started last Thursday and will be ready for opening day. Should make it an even better place to watch a game.

[Image: PATCCIQMRVMBION.20160617153010.jpg]

http://www.odusports.com/ViewArticle.dbm...=211022091
(This post was last modified: 08-14-2017 07:16 AM by Monarchist13.)
08-14-2017 07:12 AM
Advertisement

eagle04 Offline
All American

(08-13-2017 06:01 PM)RonBurgundy Wrote:  We're gonna be terrible next year. Returning next to nothing.

That's the downside of bringing in a heavy JUCO class. I knew several of those kids from my coaching days and they were talented. But when you get top heavy with JUCO guys you eventually get to this point where you have a very, very, inexperienced team.
08-14-2017 08:11 AM
Mr. Bojangles Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CHARLOTTE
(08-13-2017 09:18 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 09:07 PM)Mr. Bojangles Wrote:  Awesome thread! Always like to see some baseball talk!!

Wow, that's outstanding. ECU and Arkansas playing you guys in a weekend series (in Charlotte, no less) is awesome.

Any idea of the dates for those games? Might put in a TBA part of the scheduling spreadsheet for games with no date yet.

No dates that I know of yet. These series were announced last year in a release:

http://charlotte49ers.com/news/2016/9/13...eries.aspx
08-14-2017 08:29 AM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Couple Berryballers not returning for 2018. Spreadsheet has been updated to reflect these changes.

http://www.hattiesburgamerican.com/story...574816001/
08-17-2017 12:39 PM
FIU Panther Fan Offline
1st String

I Root For: FIU
We are very happy with how the draft went. FIU was able to keep the following draftees out of High School...

Gabriel Rodriguez, OF, Toa Alta (PR) - Twins - 11th Round
Abdiel Layer, SS, Colegio Angle David HS (PR) - Brewers - 13th Round
Christian Santana, RHP, American Heritage - Brewers - 15th Round
Logan Allen, LHP, University HS - Orioles - 16th Round
Jose Garcia, C, Doral Academy Charter - Red Sox - 38th Round
Joe Sanchez, LHP, Terra Environmental Research Institute - Braves - 39th Round

And those are only the drafted players, there are some pretty good ones that were not drafted and are now in class. FIU's 2017 class fell to #5 in the Nation once the draft and JUCO were taken into consideration.

We also got Austin Shenton, JUCO route who was drafted in the 34th Round in 2016. It's going to be interesting to see how quickly the freshmen acclimate to college ball, hopefully by the end of the year they'll be seasoned enough to make a bit of a run. Go F I U!

(08-13-2017 11:01 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(08-13-2017 09:35 PM)XYZ Wrote:  FIU is another school that has very few returning next season but has a large group of talented young players coming in especially on the mound. They did lose alot of recruits to the draft on offense as well as a couple to JUCO but still should be a good young team, though offensively will likely struggle. In a couple years though they should be back as a regional caliber team.

Agreed. Melendez is going to overhaul that roster and will have that program very competitive in a few years.

I like their frontline pitching. Tyler Myrick and Nick MacDonald were solid in 2017 as freshman. Very curious to see how Logan Allen and Christian Santana develop. That was a big deal getting both of them to sign.
08-17-2017 02:51 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dahbeed Offline
Heisman

I Root For: wku toppahs!!!
(08-17-2017 12:39 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Couple Berryballers not returning for 2018. Spreadsheet has been updated to reflect these changes.

You're obviously one of the smes on baseball if you're already calculating stuff like this.

Give me your breakdown on Western. Do we have any hope for optimism? I don't see any. I wasn't sold on this guy when we got him and aside from him getting new turf put in all I've seen him do is have 2 teams in a row lay down on him like I've never seen at Western baseball.
08-17-2017 04:38 PM
Advertisement

BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

(08-17-2017 04:38 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  
(08-17-2017 12:39 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  Couple Berryballers not returning for 2018. Spreadsheet has been updated to reflect these changes.

You're obviously one of the smes on baseball if you're already calculating stuff like this.

Give me your breakdown on Western. Do we have any hope for optimism? I don't see any. I wasn't sold on this guy when we got him and aside from him getting new turf put in all I've seen him do is have 2 teams in a row lay down on him like I've never seen at Western baseball.

Pawlowski has had some success at his other stops. Won 64% of his games at CoC and 57% at Auburn. Won a regional at CoC in 2006 and hosted a regional at Auburn in 2010 (eliminated USM, actually). So, he's had some success. I don't know what's happened in 2016 and 2017 at WKU.

WKU is in the top half of both of the returning production charts, so they should contend for one of the 8 spots in Biloxi. Not sure what kind of players you guys are bringing in for 2018. If you bring in a bunch of good JUCO players, that can often provide a big boost (see LaTech in 2016).
08-17-2017 09:38 PM
waltgreenberg Online
Legend

I Root For: Rice Owls

The Parliament Awards
(08-17-2017 09:38 PM)BeagleUSM Wrote:  
(08-17-2017 04:38 PM)dahbeed Wrote:  

Pawlowski has had some success at his other stops. Won 64% of his games at CoC and 57% at Auburn. Won a regional at CoC in 2006 and hosted a regional at Auburn in 2010 (eliminated USM, actually). So, he's had some success. I don't know what's happened in 2016 and 2017 at WKU.

WKU is in the top half of both of the returning production charts, so they should contend for one of the 8 spots in Biloxi. Not sure what kind of players you guys are bringing in for 2018. If you bring in a bunch of good JUCO players, that can often provide a big boost (see LaTech in 2016).

Returning production stats mean little if a team's production was lacking in 2017.
08-17-2017 09:49 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

Yeah, but returning crappy players beats not returning crappy players (unless you are bringing in a bunch of stud freshman and JUCOs).
08-17-2017 09:57 PM
BeagleUSM Offline
Thrillsville

USM playing Tulane twice in midweek action. 3/14 in New Orleans and 5/1 in Hattiesburg.

http://tulanegreenwave.com/schedule.aspx?schedule=1235
08-24-2017 03:06 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.