Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Dr. Garrey Carruthers Announces July, 2018 Retirement
Bookmark and Share
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CSUB
Dr. Garrey Carruthers Announces July, 2018 Retirement
Surprised this wasnt posted yet, here or the Ags board.

http://krwg.org/post/nmsu-chancellor-dr-...retirement

So, any potential fallout on the school or the conference...based on speculation of who his replacement may be?
08-03-2017 05:00 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
RE: Dr. Garrey Carruthers Announces July, 2018 Retirement
(08-03-2017 05:00 PM)RunnerBall Wrote:  Surprised this wasnt posted yet, here or the Ags board.

http://krwg.org/post/nmsu-chancellor-dr-...retirement

So, any potential fallout on the school or the conference...based on speculation of who his replacement may be?

It wasn't posted on the NMSU board here, because it is being discussed on other ag sites.
08-03-2017 05:19 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Lopes87 Online
1st String

I Root For: GCU
This is a good think for NMSU right?
08-04-2017 02:36 PM
Advertisement

NotANewbie Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Tennesse, NMSU
(08-04-2017 02:36 PM)Lopes87 Wrote:  This is a good think for NMSU right?

That remains to be seen.

Carruthers has stabilized things after a predecessor who botched a number of things, including the NMSU application to the MWC, as well as relations with state politicians. He supported athletics pretty well, but failed to come out and put his full weight behind that support, leaving a window of doubt, but on the whole was supportive.

Institutionally he has lead through some rough budget decisions, attempting to do the least damage with cuts as he could. Of course each of us has an opinion as to how well he did that. He has also smoothed some water politically, but as yet we have not seen a turn toward a substantial bolstering of state funding.

So, whether it is a good thing or not hinges very much on who is hired to replace him and how well that individual does to strengthen support for the university.
(This post was last modified: 08-04-2017 10:50 PM by NotANewbie.)
08-04-2017 05:10 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

Why so you ask that?

Most past presidents have only alienated the Fan base, donors, students, faculty, BOR and local politicians. They have also only done so much to try to get noticed for a bigger job elsewhere or utterly failed while only damaging my university.

We've had someone who has cared about moving NMSU forward. Who has the knowledge to navigate the BS NM Politics. Not everything he did was popular, but he cares about NMSU.

It will be hard to find someone with his passion.

At this point I hope it is the current Provost. He was a finalist when GC became the prez. Worked at NMSU for 2 decades before taking a Dean job at CU Denver. Also GC suggested that NMSU should just promote from within when he became Prez. So NMSU could get what it wants in a Prez and not some outsider who will end up alienating everyone. We'll see who applies and it is a year away from GC's retirement. Plenty of time to do a proper search, as long as Santa Fe keeps its nose out of it.
08-04-2017 08:49 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

NuMexAg Offline
2nd String

I Root For: NMSU
(08-04-2017 08:49 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  

Why so you ask that?

Most past presidents have only alienated the Fan base, donors, students, faculty, BOR and local politicians. They have also only done so much to try to get noticed for a bigger job elsewhere or utterly failed while only damaging my university.

We've had someone who has cared about moving NMSU forward. Who has the knowledge to navigate the BS NM Politics. Not everything he did was popular, but he cares about NMSU.

It will be hard to find someone with his passion.

At this point I hope it is the current Provost. He was a finalist when GC became the prez. Worked at NMSU for 2 decades before taking a Dean job at CU Denver. Also GC suggested that NMSU should just promote from within when he became Prez. So NMSU could get what it wants in a Prez and not some outsider who will end up alienating everyone. We'll see who applies and it is a year away from GC's retirement. Plenty of time to do a proper search, as long as Santa Fe keeps its nose out of it.

I think Carruthers has done a good job.

He brought a lot of stability and initiated some reforms that were (and are) sorely needed (though not always popular with everyone). He also had to deal with a very difficult financial situation with the state's economy in shambles. And CP pointed out - he was always for NMSU first - not trying to find the next job up the ladder. I think he will be missed.
08-04-2017 09:41 PM
Lopes87 Online
1st String

I Root For: GCU
Im just wondering how you guys feel. No dig at all just wondering thats all.
08-05-2017 12:20 AM
Advertisement

CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

(08-05-2017 12:20 AM)Lopes87 Wrote:  Im just wondering how you guys feel. No dig at all just wondering thats all.

Sorry if I sounded testy. Dealt with 2 UNM fans at work who were saying some ****.
08-05-2017 11:37 AM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
From the outside IMO Carruthers and Moccia have done a decent job with considering the resources available to them. I like the decision that was made to go independent in football rather than FCS like Idaho did, the decision to stay in the WAC (for now), instead of jumping to the Horizon or some other conference just because. I like the coaching hires under the Carruthers and Moccia admin. However, my company does lot's of business with NMSU and I am on campus all the time and have to talk to lot's of people and many people in high and low places cannot stand Carruthers without going into detail why. Even with Moccia many who were in the 6th Man club before and other business people can't stand Moccia either. It's hard to be the guy(s) in charge cause someone is always going to be pissed off. When my wife graduated with her master's banking degree from banking school the graduation was at NMSU and Carruthers was the key note speaker. I found him great and talked to him one on one as well and the guy knows his stuff. I was recently impressed that Carruthers had the balls to say a state like New Mexico with limited resources and funding needs to get rid of all the little regional public schools like WNMU (sorry Frank), New Mexico Highlands and Eastern New Mexico. Those extra 14000 students from those 3 schools would help the two major colleges (UNM & NMSU) and perhaps millions of extra dollars in funding that those 3 small schools are eating up. Carruthers and Moccia have a tough job and not all their decisions are not going to be popular, especially with people who don't really have all the facts like they do when making certain decisions.
08-06-2017 12:57 PM
Advertisement

Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
(08-06-2017 12:57 PM)dancingNMSUaggie Wrote:  From the outside IMO Carruthers and Moccia have done a decent job with considering the resources available to them. I like the decision that was made to go independent in football rather than FCS like Idaho did, the decision to stay in the WAC (for now), instead of jumping to the Horizon or some other conference just because. I like the coaching hires under the Carruthers and Moccia admin. However, my company does lot's of business with NMSU and I am on campus all the time and have to talk to lot's of people and many people in high and low places cannot stand Carruthers without going into detail why. Even with Moccia many who were in the 6th Man club before and other business people can't stand Moccia either. It's hard to be the guy(s) in charge cause someone is always going to be pissed off. When my wife graduated with her master's banking degree from banking school the graduation was at NMSU and Carruthers was the key note speaker. I found him great and talked to him one on one as well and the guy knows his stuff. I was recently impressed that Carruthers had the balls to say a state like New Mexico with limited resources and funding needs to get rid of all the little regional public schools like WNMU (sorry Frank), New Mexico Highlands and Eastern New Mexico. Those extra 14000 students from those 3 schools would help the two major colleges (UNM & NMSU) and perhaps millions of extra dollars in funding that those 3 small schools are eating up. Carruthers and Moccia have a tough job and not all their decisions are not going to be popular, especially with people who don't really have all the facts like they do when making certain decisions.

The point about consolidating is really good and something I have been advocating in my native Ohio, and something Illinois clearly needs to do.

What most people do not understand is that small local school piles on extra overhead costs, from facilities to high end paid staff (Presidents, Department heads) that replicate what is done in other campuses. This is why in California I advocate doubling the size of UC Davis rather than opening another UC. But the concept of economy of scale is lost on many people. And those local schools Presidents, Department Heads and their staffs make up a 24x7x365 lobby to continue funding those schools. Closing them down is a as difficult as closing military bases; which is why congress created a special committee to determine which ones to close and the congress only gets to vote up or down on the whole package -- don't allow any one of them to hold bills hostage. [/soapbox]

I have to agree with the NMSU alumni here, GC was good overall for the school, and stabilizing things is what they needed before they can move forward. His predecessor -- and I will not mention Barbara Coulture by name -- was amazingly terrible. She managed to piss off all the MWC schools with here presentation. Before that they actually had an outside shot. Had GC and Moccia been in charge at that time, I think there was a chance they might have been invited.

[Image: DDlW7XMXkAAC2UT.jpg]
(This post was last modified: 08-08-2017 01:43 AM by Stugray2.)
08-08-2017 01:42 AM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

[Image: DDlW7XMXkAAC2UT.jpg]
[/quote]

Those crazy Irish!
My wife's lineage is ....Irish. 03-idea
08-08-2017 11:02 AM
RunnerBall Offline
Special Teams

LCS: Meeting with regents led to Carruthers' retirement

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/edu...d55f7cd385

and

Lawmakers to NMSU regents: Keep Carruthers

http://www.lcsun-news.com/story/news/edu...579985001/
(This post was last modified: 08-23-2017 07:34 PM by RunnerBall.)
08-23-2017 07:30 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.