Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Changes to the men's basketball tournament
Bookmark and Share
FoUTASportscaster Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UTA
Changes to the men's basketball tournament
Looks old like the NCAA is finally taking into account that winning on the road is harder.

This change might have helped UTA secure an at-large last year.

http://www.cbssports.com/college-basketb...t-process/03-cloud9
07-14-2017 06:52 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

Tealblood Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: CCU
RE: Changes to the men's basketball tournament
Over due
07-15-2017 10:39 AM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

I Root For: South Alabama
I'd love to see this lead to more P5's hitting the roads to take on Belt'ish teams but somehow I'm a bit skeptical if that is what their whole goal is in the end with this new selection update...that's the skeptical side talking. The optimistic side says we'll see Bama, Louieville, etc., traveling to take one from UTA, Little Rock, etc. I'll just hang up and listen for a couple of years to see what happens here.
07-15-2017 01:21 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

SkullyMaroo Offline

(07-15-2017 01:21 PM)airtroop Wrote:  I'd love to see this lead to more P5's hitting the roads to take on Belt'ish teams but somehow I'm a bit skeptical if that is what their whole goal is in the end with this new selection update...that's the skeptical side talking. The optimistic side says we'll see Bama, Louieville, etc., traveling to take one from UTA, Little Rock, etc. I'll just hang up and listen for a couple of years to see what happens here.

If a system exists where they truly penalize teams that never leave home for OOC and power conference teams get left out they will change their scheduling. Unfortunately, while this doesn't hurt us, I'm not sure it quite helps us much either. I think this will just lead to a lot more neutral site/tournament type games where they still have the advantage. It would probably even turn into tournaments in places like NC, KY, FL, where teams like UNC, Louisville, UK, UF, and FSU are considered nothing more than another "neutral" team with no home court advantage, which we know would be BS.
07-15-2017 06:36 PM
Heisman

I could see that happening Skully, but looking at a typical "top" level school, there are roughly two games away from home in non-conference play. That'd be a lot of tournament to play or host. And that assumes schools like Saint John's have the ability to set-up two tournaments a year.

But as I see it, and interpret from the article, this is nothing more than a matrix, as the flawed RPI formula is still in effect. The article basically said there will be road and home columns. Not sure how neutral effects the ranking there.

Regardless, the change can only help everyone not in a P5, even if just from a seeding perspective. As Georgia State and Little Rock have shown, the Belt's best can hang with anyone.
07-15-2017 08:47 PM
Advertisement

airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

And that's the biggest change I can see coming - "better" seeding for the non-power teams, meaning more 1st round losses for the MTSU's and Little Rocks in the tourney. Hope it's not that way but I'm always suspicious when the "big boy" conferences are applauding a new NCAA rule, change, etc. Are these new methods just meant to ensure an all "big boy" Sweet Sixteen" perhaps?
07-16-2017 12:06 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
All this is going to do is place more value on the Preseason tournaments at a Neutral location. You'll see a few more of those money makers pop up for the big schools over the Thanksgiving Week.

Maybe some lower level P5's who can't get invited to those tournaments might play a G5 road game every now and then, but the only Non Power schools who might benefit are the schools whose RPI is strong enough that a top team could be attracted to come play on the road. SMU, UCF could benefit from this. Not UTA.
07-16-2017 02:10 PM
Advertisement

Heisman

Theyt don't play many road games anyway, not in OOC. May help come conference, but the RPI wouldn't have hurt them there either.

I think the biggest benefactors will be the top schools of the "next level: of conferences, like the SBC, CUSA, MVC and OVC. UTA was very borderline last year. That little bump could have been enough. Of course, that assumes the scheduling stays the same. It didn't change much in baseball so who knows how much effect there will be in basketball, if any.

And I don't see better seeding as a bad thing. Yes Georgia State beat a 3 seed, but that isn't as common as a 5, 6 or even a 7 going down.

Still a lot of unknowns, but I think this is a step in the right direction.
07-16-2017 05:01 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(07-16-2017 05:01 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Theyt don't play many road games anyway, not in OOC. May help come conference, but the RPI wouldn't have hurt them there either.

I think the biggest benefactors will be the top schools of the "next level: of conferences, like the SBC, CUSA, MVC and OVC. UTA was very borderline last year. That little bump could have been enough. Of course, that assumes the scheduling stays the same. It didn't change much in baseball so who knows how much effect there will be in basketball, if any.

And I don't see better seeding as a bad thing. Yes Georgia State beat a 3 seed, but that isn't as common as a 5, 6 or even a 7 going down.

You are saying this, but for 2 straight years now the Selection Committee has essentially ignored the Mid Major. I'm not sure they are going to completely change their philosophy on that front.
07-16-2017 07:39 PM
airtroop Offline
Sun Belt Nationalist

(07-16-2017 07:39 PM)chiefsfan Wrote:  
(07-16-2017 05:01 PM)FoUTASportscaster Wrote:  Theyt don't play many road games anyway, not in OOC. May help come conference, but the RPI wouldn't have hurt them there either.

You are saying this, but for 2 straight years now the Selection Committee has essentially ignored the Mid Major. I'm not sure they are going to completely change their philosophy on that front.

WORD. Until I see this benefitting the "mid-majors" to the cost of the "majors", I'll be riding in the same boat as you are.
07-17-2017 02:13 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.