Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

AAC Member Shortcomings & How to Fix Them
rosewater Offline
Heisman

I Root For: cincy
RE: AAC Member Shortcomings & How to Fix Them
At this point, this is a stupid argument. Tulsa is pulling their weight in both of the revenue sports. They just need to work on the attendance issues. And on a personal level, who does not enjoy Panic's posts and I got many good suggestions from Tulsa posters about the spread offense. Now ECU and Tulane, you should be able to feel the eyes or Rosewater.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2017 07:13 AM by rosewater.)
07-24-2017 07:10 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CougarRed Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Houston
(07-23-2017 03:55 PM)_C2_ Wrote:  But Tulsa isn't exceedingly great in any revenue sport.

Since 2005 realignment, Tulsa has won 60% of their football games. Pretty salty. Good for 36th best in the nation. Among American schools, only Houston, Navy and Cincy have won more.

They were a fixture in the NCAA mens basketball tournament from 1982-2003, and have made two trips since UH last made it in 2010.

Their fan support is weak in football. But they compete in the revenue and Olympic sports. And their fan support in basketball is at least as good if not better than Houston's.

Tulane has much bigger problems than Tulsa in every area. I wouldn't lump those two together.
(This post was last modified: 07-24-2017 07:18 AM by CougarRed.)
07-24-2017 07:16 AM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
How can they fix their attendance issues? Tell everyone they're Oklahoma State? They'll have to win every game from here on out through all of eternity to draw more than they do.
07-24-2017 07:17 AM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2017 07:17 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  How can they fix their attendance issues? Tell everyone they're Oklahoma State? They'll have to win every game from here on out through all of eternity to draw more than they do.

Put out a good product at a reasonable price and people will attend. Houston had the same problem in 13/14. It can be fixed.
07-24-2017 07:51 AM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(07-24-2017 07:51 AM)rosewater Wrote:  
(07-24-2017 07:17 AM)_C2_ Wrote:  How can they fix their attendance issues? Tell everyone they're Oklahoma State? They'll have to win every game from here on out through all of eternity to draw more than they do.

Put out a good product at a reasonable price and people will attend. Houston had the same problem in 13/14. It can be fixed.

True. We averaged about 40,000 when we were winning 8 games per season.
07-24-2017 07:58 AM
AusTxPony Offline
1st String

I Root For: SMU
I support Tulsa athletics. They have often been in our league and have always put solid teams on the field in all sponsored sports. Small University, but solid. I'm happy they're with us in the AAC. This year is our turn to win a close one in football. See ya in Dallas, Canes.
07-24-2017 09:19 AM
Stookey57 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UConn, BC
You heard it here do not sleep on UConn football they will go six and six easily this year I'm sure absolutely Edsall knows UConn He knows how to win with powerful offensive lines that's what he's building up

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
07-24-2017 11:32 AM
TU77CAL82 Offline
2nd String

I Root For: Tulane
I don't believe that any other Tulane fans have posted here, so I'll share my thoughts.

Obviously, our biggest shortcoming in current times has been on-field performance. It's been rough, however; a change in university president, was followed by a change in athletic director, that then resulted in multiple coaching changes and an over 50% turnover in athletic department staff. That, coupled with major facilities upgrades ( even now we're told that fundraising is underway for a football operations facility) makes me believe that a foundation is in place for improvements all around in performance.)

To me, fan support is the next big challenge. Tulane has allowed what once was very strong support in SE Louisiana to erode away. A large part of that is due to the losing, but there are other factors. In the evolution from a more regional institution to a national university, the percentage of students from Louisiana has dropped to ridiculously low levels. I'm one of those Yankees who came to Tulane from far away, but still believe that the drop in 'local' attendance isn't healthy. It's self inflicted though. Almost all of us here in New Orleans know of kids who were qualified and wanted to attend Tulane, but were not admitted. I don't know if that will ever change, but it should, and it would help with local fan support. While there are plenty of locals (mostly fans of the school upriver) who believe Tulane to be elitist and full of trust fund kids, most New Orleanians are pretty loyal to local institutions and would welcome back a winner, if we can produce one.

A couple other things . . .
Last year's, Tulane's student body numbered 13,851 total. Not large by any means, but I wouldn't call it small either.

Someone posted in another thread that Tulane would not have been invited to this conference if Boise and SDSU had not changed their minds about joining here. Tulane was invited before those two bolted.
07-24-2017 01:32 PM
rosewater Offline
Heisman

(07-24-2017 11:32 AM)Stookey57 Wrote:  You heard it here do not sleep on UConn football they will go six and six easily this year I'm sure absolutely Edsall knows UConn He knows how to win with powerful offensive lines that's what he's building up

zzzzz zzzzzz
07-24-2017 03:58 PM
Bearcats#1 Offline
Ad nauseam King

I Root For: Pony94
(07-24-2017 11:32 AM)Stookey57 Wrote:  You heard it here do not sleep on UConn football they will go six and six easily this year I'm sure absolutely Edsall knows UConn He knows how to win with powerful offensive lines that's what he's building up

LOL you guys say this every year....and then reality hits
07-24-2017 06:13 PM
HuskyU Offline
Big East Overlord

I Root For: UCONN
(07-24-2017 06:13 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

Diaco said that's ridiculous.
07-24-2017 06:25 PM
UofMemphis Away
Official MT.org Ambassador of Smack

I Root For: Univ of Memphis

Donators

try beating Holy Cross first...then we'll talk...
07-24-2017 06:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Hurricane Drummer Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa
(07-24-2017 06:13 PM)Bearcats#1 Wrote:  

I wonder what the the over/under is for UCONN getting 6 wins vs ECU having a Heisman trophy winner?
07-24-2017 06:27 PM
TU4ever Offline
All American

I Root For: Tulsa

Lol again why you are working at walmart.

There are a million people plus in green country (the tulsa and immediate surrounding area) quite sure we can find 40,000 to attend. We averaged 30,000+ in the early 90s when we were really good and had a smaller population. Our biggest problem has been program instability and marketing. Too many coaches who leave as the momentum builds. Tulsa should be very good this year. A win at ok state and we will average 26 or 27k this year in our 28,500 stadium.

You literally seem to struggle with history. Houston and SMU were invited after the raiding of the big east occured. What teams east of houston/dallas was the big east going to get? Geographically speaking having one pair of outliers in the west wasn't huge. When the core of the big east began to rush to the exits having smu and houston out west all alone suddenly became a big deal.

Further when Houston and SMU were added there were back channel discussions of a football only invite to tulsa, which the administration quickly shut down. We had been independent in football before and wanted our teams in the same conference all sports. Not saying it would have happened then but football only invite was never an option in TU's eyes. Once the mass exit was started TU is a no brainer add.
(This post was last modified: 07-25-2017 11:32 AM by TU4ever.)
07-25-2017 11:30 AM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(07-24-2017 06:26 PM)UofMemphis Wrote:  

try beating Holy Cross first...then we'll talk...

I hear that ShereKhan will be live-blogging the game.
07-25-2017 11:39 AM
ecumbh1999 Offline
Keeper of the Code

I Root For: East Carolina
(07-14-2017 01:30 PM)NBPirate Wrote:  1. Getting rid of Jeff Lebo
2. Getting rid of Jeff Compher

03-lmfao03-weeping

The Damn truth!!!!!!
07-29-2017 01:29 AM
Philly Brian Offline
2nd String

I Root For:
For Temple attendance continues to be a problem. In all reality we should avg somewhere around 35k. But in most seasons we come in around 26k.
Perhaps there is no real solution.
One thing that we do know is that the opponent matters. Penn State and Notre Dame crowds brought in big crowds of 66k or more despite the tix prices being doubled for those games.
One thing that we have never tried is play on campus. We know from other schools that this would be the ideal setup.
Bball in recent seasons has averaged around 6k. If the team can return to being a national powerhouse, I would expect that to increase to at least 8k. That would be 8k in a 10k building which would be 80% full which would be very good.
07-29-2017 03:00 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.