Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

OT: Does App St miss FCS?
Bookmark and Share
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
RE: OT: Does App St miss FCS?
For us in FCS, the playoff run last year is the absolute best we could hope for outside of hosting the semifinal. I think we would have comparable excitement for a good regular season FBS home schedule with natural rivals.

So for me, the tipping point is that there is a chance at some post-season success IN ADDITION to the regular season games in FBS. For us in FCS, last year is the best it can be. Not that it wasn't good, but the ceiling is just lower.
07-14-2017 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
2Buck Offline
All American

I Root For: James Madison
Why do folks continually relegate us to the SB or CUSA indefintely? ODU is already being brought up as a future candidate for AAC. So many of you sell us short, probably because you know no better.

Each year we play one FBS team and it's always an away game. This year ODU has UNC at home and VT on the road, and App St has Wake Forest at home and UGA on the road. If we worked up to something similar, had an FCS matchup with W&M, RU, Delaware, etc... and then a home and home with ODU, App St, etc depending on our conference I almost don't care what conference we play in. Then 10 or 20 years from now maybe we're in a conference with some AAC teams and playing in a filled 40k+ stadium.

As for the playoffs, yes it's been very exciting. But is it really any more exciting than a DII or DIII team winning their playoffs and championship when our subdivision is full of schools we've outgrown? We're going to face competition and battle no matter what level we play at, I for one rather compete with our peers and get national coverage. I'd rather shoot for a Top 25 ranking than another FCS championship.

What probably frustrates me most is that if we were already FBS we wouldn't be waiting for a phone call from a new regional conference- we'd be among the schools leading the damn thing and helping to decide who gets the phone call.
07-14-2017 02:05 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

It was pointed out the VT fan base doesn't get overly excited today when looking at ECU on their schedule. That series began when both teams were G5 and that's no longer the case. Tech moved up. This is now a lopsided series that I equate to our playing a Southern Conference or Patriot team. Both are a perceived notch below us to the point most of our fans say, at the minimum, we should get 2 for 1 deals when playing a team from either of those conferences. I would venture to say most Tech fans probably feel ECU deals should be 2 for 1's.

I'm squarely in the corner of placing a huge importance on the regular season and against teams with similar support we give to our Dukes. I liked our run last year in the post season, but got very little out of the games that got us there. Furthermore, I don't put nearly the emphasis on having home games as I do the overall schedule of teams we will compete against whether it be in BFS or as the guest of another team.

I want our boys playing in front of 20K plus every weekend of the season. They deserve it and ask anyone of them if that's important and you'll get 100% resounding yes. I work with a young man who played for the Dukes. He was on the field at Duke, in College Park, in Blacksburg, and Chapel Hill (2011). Without reservation those four games were the highlight each season. Often he comes to work sporting something JMU, though not as avid of a fan as most of us, he does go to a couple games each season and was in Frisco. I asked him what games he's going to go to this season and Homecoming was the only one mentioned. Then I said what about ECU. Response with a huge smile, "I didn't know they were on the schedule and for sure he'd make that game."

JMU Nation deserves better than playing half our games in front of less than 8K and "that's all I got to say about that".
07-14-2017 03:00 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-14-2017 03:00 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  JMU Nation deserves better than playing half our games in front of less than 8K and "that's all I got to say about that".

https://youtu.be/NcOTZeZ3_40?t=138
07-14-2017 03:09 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

(07-14-2017 11:18 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  For us in FCS, the playoff run last year is the absolute best we could hope for outside of hosting the semifinal. I think we would have comparable excitement for a good regular season FBS home schedule with natural rivals.

So for me, the tipping point is that there is a chance at some post-season success IN ADDITION to the regular season games in FBS. For us in FCS, last year is the best it can be. Not that it wasn't good, but the ceiling is just lower.

Well said.
07-14-2017 03:35 PM
brizzock Offline
Galactic Overlord

Also, I don't know if the "in-state rivals" of W&M/UR mean as much to those of us who aren't sitting in-state, or who have never lived in state other than to go to JMU. People typically "hate" the other teams because they're living/working around fans of the other teams.

Regional versus National.
07-14-2017 03:39 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-14-2017 11:18 AM)HyperDuke Wrote:  For us in FCS, the playoff run last year is the absolute best we could hope for outside of hosting the semifinal. I think we would have comparable excitement for a good regular season FBS home schedule with natural rivals.

Agreed except would state:
"For us in FCS, the playoff run last year is the absolute best we could hope for outside of hosting better OOC than CCSU & Morehead and/or playing @ a powerhouse I-AA or 2 I-A (esp 12 game season) and hosting the semifinal."

While JMU has been ready, and should have already, moved up to G5, we could hope for more while still in I-AA besides hosting the semis. Some examples: UD is @ NDSU 2018 and hosting 2019. Montana and EWU have had a home and home with NDSU (NDSU @ EWU this season). YSU is in driving distance, etc, etc..
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2017 05:14 PM by BDKJMU.)
07-14-2017 05:13 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

I agree BDK
07-14-2017 07:47 PM
JmuDukes4Life Offline
Bench Warmer

OT: Does App St miss FCS?
(07-14-2017 07:47 PM)HyperDuke Wrote:  I agree BDK

I hate this, I agree also
07-14-2017 07:53 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-14-2017 05:13 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  

Agreed except would state:
"For us in FCS, the playoff run last year is the absolute best we could hope for outside of hosting better OOC than CCSU & Morehead and/or playing @ a powerhouse I-AA or 2 I-A (esp 12 game season) and hosting the semifinal."

While JMU has been ready, and should have already, moved up to G5, we could hope for more while still in I-AA besides hosting the semis. Some examples: UD is @ NDSU 2018 and hosting 2019. Montana and EWU have had a home and home with NDSU (NDSU @ EWU this season). YSU is in driving distance, etc, etc..

+ as far as this season:
-chance at a #1 or #2 seed.
-chance to become back to back national champs.
-chance to become the 1st JMU football team to go undefeated 15-0.
-chance to become the only 4th I-AA ever to go 15-0 (others were 89' GSU, 96' Marshall, 2013 NDSU).
-chance to become the 1st I-AA team ever to go 15-0 vs an All Div I schedule. The 3 above all played a Div 2, (+ GSU and Marshall didn't play a I-A).

Bottom line is JMU can accomplish a lot more next season than just hosting the semis..
(This post was last modified: 07-14-2017 09:59 PM by BDKJMU.)
07-14-2017 08:30 PM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

Sure, but as a fan, those stat accomplishments don't juice me up more than playing games vs. FBS natural rivals.
07-14-2017 09:45 PM
Dukeman2 Offline
Special Teams

"FCS is for students, FBS is for alumni", Ronald Carrier circa 1998
07-15-2017 05:57 AM
GaryMatthews Offline
2nd String

(07-15-2017 05:57 AM)Dukeman2 Wrote:  "FCS is for students, FBS is for alumni", Ronald Carrier circa 1998

Uncle Ron really was forward thinking, given the terms "FCS" and "FBS" weren't used until 2006.
07-15-2017 06:10 AM
HyperDuke Offline
Hall of Famer

"I frequently lie in my daily life."
-Dukeman2
07-15-2017 06:43 AM
NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
(07-13-2017 08:17 PM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 07:46 PM)AppManDG Wrote:  I pushed for a move back to 1A/ FBS since we were kicked down in 1982. The folks I know think it was the best thing that has ever happened to App. You never hear the SoCon mentioned any more and most couldn't tell you who won it last year. There was a lot of brainwashing done by the Borkowski/Laney administration. Thei8r main fear factor points were we would have to cut sports, which we haven't. Would have to raise student fees excessively, hasn't happened. Most importantly would have to sacrifice academics in order to attract the talent to play FBS. Just the opposite has been true. 2016 class ave GPA was 3.53 & 2017 was 3.47. Jerry Moore pushed anti-moveup rhetoric out of selfish reasons of wanting to keep his job. When he was shown the door it split fan base. It was a rocky start and a lot of "I told you so's" were being tossed around. However, since half way through the '15 season we're 28-5 with 3 coming to National Runner up Clemson, # 9 Tennessee (in OT) & #25 Miami. These days the naysayers are nowhere to be found. Without question it's the best thing we've ever done.

Sent from my XT1254 using CSNbbs mobile app

But, have you been successful?
If you believe App St is not successful, what would App St have to accomplish to be successful? Of course they have been successful.
07-16-2017 07:45 PM
MonarchManiac Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Old Dominion
No.

Book it.
07-17-2017 02:15 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.