NewTimes Offline
All American

I Root For: Flames & Canes
RE: Regional Conference?
(07-13-2017 09:11 AM)Bobcat2013 Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 07:27 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 08:17 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  
(07-12-2017 11:17 AM)WesternSkillet Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 05:46 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think a conference ranging from Virginia to Florida would offer a great combination of proximity and recruiting areas.

Marshall, ODU, Liberty, App State, Charlotte, WKU

MTSU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, FIU, FAU

Protected crossovers would be WKU-MTSU, App State-Georgia Southern, Liberty-Coastal Carolina. It isn't compact enough to be hurtful like the MAC but not spread too thin. Olympic sports have travel partners and schedules to avoid the long distance conference mates if they aren't desirable.

MAC is a double edge sword. They have lower travel costs (bus league) but it is a congested conference (does not help recruiting). Liberty has a higher ceiling IMO.

We agree about the MAC and Liberty's ceiling. However, Liberty must walk and even crawl before it can run. Liberty won't just jump up to the Alabama and Ohio State level. I think independence is better than most G5 conferences but our non-football sports are suffering in the Big South.
Agree on both points. Would LU we better off, at the current time, playing in the SBC in FB? Not really. It was a good move for App St and the GA's but not for LU. LU is uniquely in the position to be an indy and play a competitive schedule of G5 and P5 schools. The SBC often bemoans the lack of P5 schools having home games with P5 teams.

The sooner that LU can relocate the olympic sports from the BSC the better. At present it provides LU an acceptable league to keep the sports while LU FB transitions to FBS. But an active effort should be made to relocate the other sports to a more predominate league, even if travel is involved. In whatever the requirements are for all or a portion of the sports being in multiple leagues, that should be a priority in having them achieving a better conference(s). LU, when full FBS in FB, and remaining in the BSC still gives the perception and identify of being a mid to low level FCS program. Not a FBS school.

If all you're worried about is casual perception then the Big South isn't a bad spot. Not because it's a great league but because y'all will always be in a position to win it in every sport and make the NCAAs which looks good to casuals. As long as your football is FBS then you will be known as a "D1" school to the casuals that see your games and highlights on ESPN and bet on your bowl game come bowl season. Most people aren't even aware of what FCS is. I had honestly never even heard of it until I got to TXST and I was a sportsaholic in high school.

Of course you want your teams to improve and get better so obviously you want another conference, but where you're at right now doesn't seem too bad. From an outside perspective.

Regarding your P5 home games how many do y'all have? I remember being impressed by a few of the names y'all got. We've only had 1 P5 game in 2012 and our next wont be until 2022 against Baylor, and then another in 2024 against Arizona State, but we've had some name G5s like Navy and UH too and SMU in 2020 I think.
The LU upcoming FBS schedule:
Liberty's Future Football Schedules
Sept. 1 vs. Old Dominion
Sept. 8 at Army
Sept. 15 vs. Norfolk State
Sept. 22 vs. North Texas
Sept. 29 at New Mexico
Oct 6 at New Mexico State
Oct. 13 vs. Troy
Oct. 20 vs. Idaho State
Nov. 3 at UMass
Nov. 10 at Virginia
Nov. 17 at Auburn
Nov. 24 vs. New Mexico State
Aug. 31 vs. Syracuse
Sept. 14 vs. Buffalo
Sept. 28 vs. New Mexico
Oct. 5 at New Mexico State
Oct. 26 at Rutgers
Nov. 9 at BYU
Nov. 23 at Virginia
Nov. 30 vs. New Mexico State
Also:
TBA at UMass
Sept. 5 at Virginia Tech
Also:
TBA at Syracuse
Sept. 25 at Syracuse
Oct. 9 at North Texas
Nov. 13 at Ole Miss
Nov. 27 vs. Army
Sept. 17 at Wake Forest
Oct. 22 vs. BYU
Sept. 16 at Buffalo
Aug. 30 vs. Wake Forest
Sept. 20 at Army
Sept. 3, 4 or 5 at Wake Forest
Nov. 28 vs. Army
Sept. 11 vs. Virginia
Updated as of 5/26/17

Most agree this is a very strong schedule. Especially one accomplished so quickly and so late. P5 home games underlined with Army being highlighted, well because it's Army and will be a great game and atmosphere.
07-13-2017 02:17 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Regional Conference?
(07-13-2017 07:27 AM)NewTimes Wrote:  The sooner that LU can relocate the olympic sports from the BSC the better. At present it provides LU an acceptable league to keep the sports while LU FB transitions to FBS. But an active effort should be made to relocate the other sports to a more predominate league, even if travel is involved. In whatever the requirements are for all or a portion of the sports being in multiple leagues, that should be a priority in having them achieving a better conference(s). LU, when full FBS in FB, and remaining in the BSC still gives the perception and identify of being a mid to low level FCS program. Not a FBS school.

Where would you have us go? There aren't too many upgrade conference options out there?
A10? They already have 14 teams.
Big East? Yep, keep dreamin'.
Horizon? Can't imagine it.
Southern? Is it that much better?
07-14-2017 05:47 AM
army56mike Offline

I Root For: Liberty & UofL
Regional Conference?
(07-10-2017 08:23 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I like it as well but would change the divisions. Crossover Rival and not have more than one state in a division.

Ga South - Ga State
App State - Charlotte
Liberty - ODU
FIU - FAU
WKU - Marshall
MTSU - Coastal

I like these divisions as well. I am really not a big fan of permanent crossover rivals. The only way I'd like that is if there are 9 conference games. I want to play all conference teams at least every other year.
07-18-2017 05:37 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(07-18-2017 05:37 AM)army56mike Wrote:  
(07-10-2017 08:23 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I like it as well but would change the divisions. Crossover Rival and not have more than one state in a division.

Ga South - Ga State
App State - Charlotte
Liberty - ODU
FIU - FAU
WKU - Marshall
MTSU - Coastal

I like these divisions as well. I am really not a big fan of permanent crossover rivals. The only way I'd like that is if there are 9 conference games. I want to play all conference teams at least every other year.

I think permanent crossovers are only necessary if both schools want it. This imaginary regional conference may not need it as the divisions could be split to make it unnecessary. The Big Ten has Indiana-Purdue as the only locked cross-division rivalry while everyone else rotates.
07-18-2017 09:07 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: JMU
(07-18-2017 09:07 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Ga South - Ga State
App State - Charlotte
Liberty - ODU
FIU - FAU
WKU - Marshall
MTSU - Coastal

I think permanent crossovers are only necessary if both schools want it. This imaginary regional conference may not need it as the divisions could be split to make it unnecessary. The Big Ten has Indiana-Purdue as the only locked cross-division rivalry while everyone else rotates.

WKU and MTSU are locked at the hip. You'd be better to put Charlotte with Coastal (much closer), and Appy with Marshall (two very similar schools in how they allocate their athletic budget and still a bus ride). You don't make rivals out of schools who have to fly to each other and that is what was done with MTSU/Coastal and they have nothing in common.
07-21-2017 12:57 AM
GE and MTS Offline

I Root For: Liberty/Penn St
(07-21-2017 12:57 AM)BleedingPurple Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 09:07 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  

Ga South - Ga State
App State - Charlotte
Liberty - ODU
FIU - FAU
WKU - Marshall
MTSU - Coastal

WKU and MTSU are locked at the hip. You'd be better to put Charlotte with Coastal (much closer), and Appy with Marshall (two very similar schools in how they allocate their athletic budget and still a bus ride). You don't make rivals out of schools who have to fly to each other and that is what was done with MTSU/Coastal and they have nothing in common.

I agree which is why i posted this alignment earlier in the thread:

(07-10-2017 05:46 PM)GE and MTS Wrote:  I think a conference ranging from Virginia to Florida would offer a great combination of proximity and recruiting areas.

Marshall, ODU, Liberty, App State, Charlotte, WKU

MTSU, Georgia Southern, Georgia State, Coastal Carolina, FIU, FAU

Protected crossovers would be WKU-MTSU, App State-Georgia Southern, Liberty-Coastal Carolina. It isn't compact enough to be hurtful like the MAC but not spread too thin. Olympic sports have travel partners and schedules to avoid the long distance conference mates if they aren't desirable.

I don't have Charlotte and Coastal together and they have maybe played once ever right? Not a big deal either way since this probably won't happen regardless but it's the summer and we need something to pass the time.
07-21-2017 05:52 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.