Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

QBs
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I Root For: Rice

The Parliament AwardsNew Orleans BowlFootball GeniusCrappiesDonatorsDonators
QBs
We have 6 QBs on the roster. I wonder which one will start in Sydney.

Robbie Blosser Fr.
Sam Glaesman RS Fr.
J. T. Granato RS So. 1L
Evan Marshman Fr
Miklo Smalls Fr
Jackson Tyner RS So. 1L

I am not sure who ended the Spring as #1, but with three true freshmen in the mix, it is anybody's guess who will be our starter. I hope one of these guys can step up and take control, and make a difference. If one can, he could have 3 to 4 years of play ahead of him.

I don't have a favorite at this time.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 05:53 PM by OptimisticOwl.)
07-07-2017 05:51 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: rice
RE: QBs
(07-07-2017 05:51 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  We have 6 QBs on the roster. I wonder which one will start in Sydney.

Robbie Blosser Fr.
Sam Glaesman RS Fr.
J. T. Granato RS So. 1L
Evan Marshman Fr
Miklo Smalls Fr
Jackson Tyner RS So. 1L

I am not sure who ended the Spring as #1, but with three true freshmen in the mix, it is anybody's guess who will be our starter. I hope one of these guys can step up and take control, and make a difference. If one can, he could have 3 to 4 years of play ahead of him.

Even at worst, the ages seem to say that no matter who earns the spot, they will could have up to 3 years of experience in their Rice career.

3 freshman -- up to 4 years.
RS freshman -- same.
RS Soph -- up to 3 years.

Hope the QB coaches are up to snuff.
07-07-2017 06:05 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-07-2017 06:05 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 05:51 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  We have 6 QBs on the roster. I wonder which one will start in Sydney.

Robbie Blosser Fr.
Sam Glaesman RS Fr.
J. T. Granato RS So. 1L
Evan Marshman Fr
Miklo Smalls Fr
Jackson Tyner RS So. 1L

Even at worst, the ages seem to say that no matter who earns the spot, they will could have up to 3 years of experience in their Rice career.

RS freshman -- same.

Yeah, i hedged a bit in the unlikely case of a current RS Soph starting two years and then deciding to graduate.

But we have a deep well here. Maybe we need to not lock in one guy for the season, as we have done so often in the past. But we also do not need to have two or three guys sharing the minutes as we did in 2009.
07-07-2017 06:08 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

(07-07-2017 06:08 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Robbie Blosser Fr.
Sam Glaesman RS Fr.
J. T. Granato RS So. 1L
Evan Marshman Fr
Miklo Smalls Fr
Jackson Tyner RS So. 1L

RS freshman -- same.

Yeah, i hedged a bit in the unlikely case of a current RS Soph starting two years and then deciding to graduate.

But we have a deep well here. Maybe we need to not lock in one guy for the season, as we have done so often in the past. But we also do not need to have two or three guys sharing the minutes as we did in 2009.

Without trying to sound like Eeyore -- I dont think it will matter if all you are looking at is this season. Hate to say, but the hole is deep enough that we should expect about the same result next season.

So, the coaching decisions *now* need to be planning for season after next in this regard.

But given DB job and contract considerations, I hope DB makes his coaching decisions for that year. But I wont hold my breath on that regard.
(This post was last modified: 07-07-2017 06:25 PM by tanqtonic.)
07-07-2017 06:23 PM
Advertisement

owl40 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Owls
Would like to see Glaesman and Smalls battle it out. We saw Granato and Tyner last year and what they can do. Unless there has been some material improvement that we missed in Spring and in last few C-USA games, they can be serviceable but not a breakthrough....and we need a breakthrough. Need someone athletic who can keep D honest w/ Stewart and Walters doing most of the heavy lifting.

DB made the bold call to go w/ McH against Texas in his RS frosh season against upperclassman competition. So there is precedent. I hope he goes w/ the better athletes who can make plays. Smalls looks very exciting with the highest ceiling but it is against DFW HS competition, not Stanford.
07-07-2017 07:41 PM
franklyconfused Offline
Special Teams

(07-07-2017 06:23 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  So, the coaching decisions *now* need to be planning for season after next in this regard.

Given the virtually guaranteed Thanksgiving Stanford loss, we should have already been looking ahead at developing a QB when we were 1-7 and out of bowl eligibility. Even then, we continued to play only Stehling through FAU, Charlotte, and into the UTEP game, and we only pulled him because of the injury. The only explanation I can get for that is Bailiff continued to believe that Stehling was the best right then (probably true) and that he felt he had to get as close as possible to a best case 4-8 to save his job (2017 was a problem for "future-David Bailiff" to deal with, if it came to him).
07-07-2017 08:43 PM
tanqtonic Offline
Hall of Famer

That was my feeling on his QB decision as well. He played to gain himself, not gain the team.

Too bad he will probably have the same attitude this year as opposed to the real rebuilding job that needs to be addressed. This program is what would be perfectly termed a Silicon Valley rebuild. Raze it to the essentials and build for the long term.

But my guess is that isn't in the cards with DB at the helm and thrashing like a mackerel bleeding out in a school of mako sharks. And that is precisely why someone new has to brought in, in order to have the leeway to do the massive rebuild that has to happen *if* this program isnt going to be a 'cute memory cost' on the endowment.
07-07-2017 09:05 PM
Advertisement

OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

(07-07-2017 06:23 PM)tanqtonic Wrote:  
(07-07-2017 06:08 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  

Robbie Blosser Fr.
Sam Glaesman RS Fr.
J. T. Granato RS So. 1L
Evan Marshman Fr
Miklo Smalls Fr
Jackson Tyner RS So. 1L

RS freshman -- same.

Without trying to sound like Eeyore -- I dont think it will matter if all you are looking at is this season. Hate to say, but the hole is deep enough that we should expect about the same result next season.

So, the coaching decisions *now* need to be planning for season after next in this regard.

But given DB job and contract considerations, I hope DB makes his coaching decisions for that year. But I wont hold my breath on that regard.

I disagree to some extent. We always need to be trying to win this season, this game.of course you have to be planning and preparing for future games and seasons, to, but it has to be a balance - you cannot totally abandon one for the other.
07-07-2017 09:18 PM
OptimisticOwl Offline
Legend

I hope this doesn't devolve into just another Bailiff thread. I was wanting to talk QBs.
07-07-2017 09:43 PM
wrysal Offline
1st String

New Orleans Bowl
(07-07-2017 09:43 PM)OptimisticOwl Wrote:  I hope this doesn't devolve into just another Bailiff thread. I was wanting to talk QBs.

I was hoping to hear a lot of good things about Glaesmann in the spring, but I didn't hear much of anything good or bad about anybody in the spring - very quiet.

I saw Smalls play, and he had much better size and height than I expected. He's also very athletic, was also the starting safety, and returned punts. I won't detail the negative thing I heard. I think he might be the winner this fall, assuming a fair fight.
07-08-2017 09:19 AM
Advertisement

westsidewolf1989 Offline
Heisman

I would guess Smalls, potentially Glaesmann, although I had heard he had some back injury issues. Texas 6A high school football (which they both played) is a whole 'nother animal compared to TAPPS and 3A ball that Granato and Tyner respectively faced. Maybe the new QB coach can work wonders, but Clement/McHargue/Jackson (IMO, the three best QBs of the Bailiff era) were all products of top-level public high school competition.
07-08-2017 10:03 AM
davidw Offline
Special Teams

don't forget the #1 defensive tackle in the country, and one of the top 5 offensive tackles, played here at Houston Episcopal.

I think the DT went to Fla State, and the OT signed with Stanford.
07-08-2017 12:00 PM
talon owl Offline
Chicken Fingers Justin

I Root For: The OE Arrrrrgh

New Orleans BowlThe Parliament Awards
And that's SPC not TAPPS
07-08-2017 03:16 PM
RiceLad15 Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Rice Owls
At this point I'd be more excited for the season if we were starting Granato's cat.
07-08-2017 07:26 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.