Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Sports Illustrated knows food gives Houston a shout out...
C0|db|00ded Offline
Instrument of Pain

I Root For: Wichita State
RE: Sports Illustrated knows food gives Houston a shout out...
(07-06-2017 08:00 AM)DownOnRohs Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 09:45 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  Signs your athletic program might be in trouble: 1) You finally make it into Sports Illustrated and all they mention is your city's great dining options.

[Image: GU71NQSIN.3]

[Image: 12covv24_wichst_promo.jpg]

[Image: 15covwichita.jpg]

T

...03-cool

Signs you're new to this whole relevance thing

The new, big thing. There's worse places to be as a program.

T

...03-cool
07-06-2017 08:39 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
willhclark Offline
1st String

I Root For: Houston Cougars
I like Pass and Provisions
07-06-2017 11:47 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-05-2017 07:57 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  http://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaur...267026.php

... yes, these two ^^^ Houston eateries are good but I won't name them the two best here in Houston, IMHO

Houston has so many great restaurants, I couldn't even come up with a top 5 list.

What say you... Can you come up with a top two best eateries in your city... If so, can you name them?!?

Impossible to limit to 2
07-06-2017 12:42 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
CornellCoog Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Cornell
(07-05-2017 11:28 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 10:09 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  I love Mia's but haven't hit up the other two. My last trip to Dallas was to visit my friend's new place in Deep Ellum (Easy Sliders) and to attend Morrissey at the Majestic. The Joule was nice.

Curious what you thought of the Majestic? IMO one of the coolest​ venues in Texas. I was supposed to go to that Morrissey show but missed it. Heard it was great.

The Majestic was incredible. Such a cool venue for a concert like that. I had tickets for his Houston show at the new White Oak Music Hall but when the show got moved to some generic venue down in Sugar Land I decided to hit up Dallas instead. No regrets. Walked from the Joule to the Majestic, cut a good show, and the ubered out to Deep Ellum to check out my Camp friend's first brick and mortar joint. Her food trucks are often in the end zone at Ford Stadium for SMU games.
07-06-2017 02:59 PM
Moody Magic Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: SMU
(07-06-2017 02:59 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 11:28 PM)Moody Magic Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 10:09 PM)CornellCoog Wrote:  I love Mia's but haven't hit up the other two. My last trip to Dallas was to visit my friend's new place in Deep Ellum (Easy Sliders) and to attend Morrissey at the Majestic. The Joule was nice.

Curious what you thought of the Majestic? IMO one of the coolest​ venues in Texas. I was supposed to go to that Morrissey show but missed it. Heard it was great.

The Majestic was incredible. Such a cool venue for a concert like that. I had tickets for his Houston show at the new White Oak Music Hall but when the show got moved to some generic venue down in Sugar Land I decided to hit up Dallas instead. No regrets. Walked from the Joule to the Majestic, cut a good show, and the ubered out to Deep Ellum to check out my Camp friend's first brick and mortar joint. Her food trucks are often in the end zone at Ford Stadium for SMU games.

Sounds like a good night. Deep Ellum has made a nice comeback. In the 80s & 90s it had a 6th Street vibe but slowly started getting rough and eventually became very dangerous. Bars, restaurants and shops slowly started moving back in and DART put a trail/rail stop in about seven years ago. Still has a grunge feel, kind of the anti-uptown. Cool neighborhood with a ton of history. In the 20s it was known for its jazz and blues scene.
07-06-2017 04:41 PM
BigHouston Offline
STRONG

I Root For: HOUSTON, USC Trojans
(07-06-2017 12:42 PM)panama Wrote:  
(07-05-2017 07:57 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  http://m.chron.com/entertainment/restaur...267026.php

... yes, these two ^^^ Houston eateries are good but I won't name them the two best here in Houston, IMHO

Houston has so many great restaurants, I couldn't even come up with a top 5 list.

What say you... Can you come up with a top two best eateries in your city... If so, can you name them?!?

Impossible to limit to 2

Totally agree with you, panama

... for big cities top 2 isn't enough to call it a list, we would need a top 20 list minimum.
07-06-2017 05:11 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(07-06-2017 05:11 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  
(07-06-2017 12:42 PM)panama Wrote:  

Impossible to limit to 2

Totally agree with you, panama

... for big cities top 2 isn't enough to call it a list, we would need a top 20 list minimum.
It's like local TV shows or magazines will list best Mexican, or BBQ or Italian and most of the time it's places I would not set foot in. Just too many options. In big cities you can do a top 20 per cuisine.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk
07-06-2017 10:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
8BitPirate Offline
A Man of Wealth and Taste

I Root For: ECU
(07-05-2017 09:45 PM)C0|db|00ded Wrote:  Signs your athletic program might be in trouble: 1) You finally make it into Sports Illustrated and all they mention is your city's great dining options.

[Image: GU71NQSIN.3]

[Image: 12covv24_wichst_promo.jpg]

[Image: 15covwichita.jpg]

T

...03-cool

Trump did one of these with a Time cover too...
07-06-2017 10:35 PM
Carolina_Low_Country Offline
1st String

I Root For: Go Pirates
Sam Jones BBQ
Dickinson Ave Public House
07-07-2017 03:47 PM
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston

I'm sorry, I can't hear anyone whose school doesn't have a football program. 03-wink
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 11:08 AM by coogrfan.)
07-10-2017 11:08 AM
coogrfan Offline
All American

I Root For: Houston
(07-05-2017 10:43 PM)BigHouston Wrote:  In no particular order

HOUSTON
1. Vic & Anthony's Steakhouse
2. Lupe Tortilla's Mexican Restaurant
3. Local Pours River Oaks
4. Peli Peli Galleria
5. Ninfas Mexican Restaurant
6. Houston's

I'm sure others from Houston can list other great Restaurants too.

A few off the top of my head in no particular order:

Ritual
Crawfish & Noodles
Himalaya
Coltivare
Southern Goods
Dak & Bop
Liberty Kitchen
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 11:13 AM by coogrfan.)
07-10-2017 11:12 AM
TheOrigamiJimmyChin Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: My wife
A few good ones in my vicinity, off the top of my head:

Frenchy's (only the original on Scott Street, of course)
Original Timmy Chan's (on Scott @ OST, of course)
#1 Chicken and Rice (Almeda & Blodgett)
Navy Seafood (you buy we fry) (Scott St @ Noah)
Rice Kitchen (Holly Hall)
Chettinad (Holly Hall)
Tayeb Mandi Grill (Holly Hall & Almeda)
Hunan Takee Outee Restaurant (Almeda)
Sleepy's Po-Boys (S Main)

AND...a special RIP to Guy's Meat Market, closing last week after 80 years (60 years on OST)

Yes, I am very fat.
(This post was last modified: 07-10-2017 01:27 PM by TheOrigamiJimmyChin.)
07-10-2017 01:26 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
yeah, I'd hope that a city of 2+ million would have a few good places to eat.
07-10-2017 02:03 PM
aTxTIGER Offline
Carrot Dude Gave Me 10% Warning

I Root For: Fire Jose!!!!!

Donators

T

...03-cool

Perhaps they could do a story on the Applebees on E 13th St.
07-10-2017 02:19 PM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
I was a big fan of Peska in Houston although I think it has closed temporarily.
07-10-2017 02:21 PM
SMUleopold Offline
1st String

I Root For: Guess, genius..
Actually, I will say that's the great thing about this conference - with most of the schools located in cities there are usually a ton of places to eat and things to do.

Since Dallas is covered I will give a shout out to my hometown Memphis.

1. Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen - Memphis's darling. A combination of Deep South and Italian, it is genuinely unique and delicious. Started by a couple of guys I went to High School with, this restaurant has been featured in New York Times and every foodie magazine you can imagine. Also take a look at Hog and Hominy, their latest project.
2. Gus's Fried Chicken - Memphis's candidate for World's Greatest Fried Chicken. Literally addictive - may have been the leading factor in the death of Larry Finch, god rest his soul. Extra: Also happens to be located right next to Gibson's doughnuts - try the Oreo or Maple Bacon.
3. Central BBQ - there are more BBQ joints in Memphis than you can shake a stick at (Corky's, Rendevous, Germantown Commissary) here is a solid one that's reasonably priced. Plenty of other things on the menu than just ribs, they're all good. Also have three locations. Also, if you are looking for a quick BBQ fix and want a traditional sandwich Memphis-style (the slaw on the sandwich) I'd recommend a quick trip through Top's BBQ. It's basically a run-down fast food BBQ chain but I think they are pretty good, especially when you packing up to drive out.
4. Soulfish Cafe - For catfish and hushpuppy lovers. The fish is fresh, the hushpuppies are fantastic, and, again, reasonable prices and three locations.

And, the if-you-have-the-guts-to-go-to-it contribution: Coletta's Italian has a BBQ pizza that's AMAZING. Only problem is it's not in the best part of town. Just sayin'. But it has me getting homesick just thinking about it.

Aaaaaaand now I'm hungry :)
07-11-2017 03:40 AM
aTxTIGER Offline

Donators
(07-11-2017 03:40 AM)SMUleopold Wrote:  Actually, I will say that's the great thing about this conference - with most of the schools located in cities there are usually a ton of places to eat and things to do.

Since Dallas is covered I will give a shout out to my hometown Memphis.

1. Andrew Michael Italian Kitchen - Memphis's darling. A combination of Deep South and Italian, it is genuinely unique and delicious. Started by a couple of guys I went to High School with, this restaurant has been featured in New York Times and every foodie magazine you can imagine. Also take a look at Hog and Hominy, their latest project.
2. Gus's Fried Chicken - Memphis's candidate for World's Greatest Fried Chicken. Literally addictive - may have been the leading factor in the death of Larry Finch, god rest his soul. Extra: Also happens to be located right next to Gibson's doughnuts - try the Oreo or Maple Bacon.
3. Central BBQ - there are more BBQ joints in Memphis than you can shake a stick at (Corky's, Rendevous, Germantown Commissary) here is a solid one that's reasonably priced. Plenty of other things on the menu than just ribs, they're all good. Also have three locations. Also, if you are looking for a quick BBQ fix and want a traditional sandwich Memphis-style (the slaw on the sandwich) I'd recommend a quick trip through Top's BBQ. It's basically a run-down fast food BBQ chain but I think they are pretty good, especially when you packing up to drive out.
4. Soulfish Cafe - For catfish and hushpuppy lovers. The fish is fresh, the hushpuppies are fantastic, and, again, reasonable prices and three locations.

And, the if-you-have-the-guts-to-go-to-it contribution: Coletta's Italian has a BBQ pizza that's AMAZING. Only problem is it's not in the best part of town. Just sayin'. But it has me getting homesick just thinking about it.

Aaaaaaand now I'm hungry :)

Soulfish....ewww. 03-wink

Other than the places above:

Porcellinos or Cafe 1912 for brunch

Beauty shop, Flight, Catherine and Mary's, Lafayettes, Restaurant Iris, etc etc etc
07-11-2017 07:06 AM
justin_sane15 Offline
1st String

I Root For: UH and Texas St
(07-10-2017 01:26 PM)TheOrigamiJimmyChin Wrote:  Rice Kitchen (Holly Hall)

Oh man, that brings me back. Still the absolute best Mongolian Beef I have had anywhere.
07-11-2017 08:38 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.