Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
So who goes to the Summit?
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: So who goes to the Summit?
(07-18-2017 10:27 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  Chicago State will not be in the WAC once the contract expires. The more recent budget trouble is only the most recent issue Chicago State has had. They do not belong in D1 and once the WAC sends them packing they will no longer be in D1.

Agree with you 100%. SoCalBobcat has zero evidence, but he won't budge. So we just have to leave him to his guess, until it happens, and he then admits he was wrong.

(07-18-2017 10:48 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  From what I can tell, at no time have Augustana or the Summit even talked, maybe I'm missing an article, please provide the link.

There may well have been talks behind closed doors that will never be made public.

I just think there's no way in heck that SDSU would let either of the Sioux Falls private schools ever get in on that great basketball tournament with an awesome facility that goes on every year now and likely will be there for foreseeable future.
07-18-2017 11:18 AM
Find all posts by this user
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootbal...s_201.html

I brought this up to show that the big population growth are not in Kansas or Iowa.

The map show signs of heavy populated growth in North Dakota, South Dakota (which includes Black Hills State area), Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, western Oklahoma (includes SW Oklahoma State area), Omaha/Lincoln-Nebraska area, Minnesota (includes Minn. State-Mankato and Minn.-Duluth areas), Idaho, Washington (Central Washington University area is the biggest growth), Arkansas (including Pope County where Arkansas Tech is located), Colorado Mesa area have a surge.

Biggest lost of population.

West Texas area
Northeastern New Mexico
Eastern Colorado
Kansas
Iowa
Eastern Arkansas
Louisiana
Western Mississippi
eastern Nebraska
Rural North Dakota and South Dakota
RuraL Montana

It depends on which schools from D2 in the area. Central Washington University to the Big Sky might work since it is one of the fastest growing region in Washington of the whole state of Washington to look at. It looks like everybody is leaving the cornfield region of the plain states to other states.
07-18-2017 11:43 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
jacksfan29 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: So Dak St/CU
(07-18-2017 11:18 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 10:27 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  Chicago State will not be in the WAC once the contract expires. The more recent budget trouble is only the most recent issue Chicago State has had. They do not belong in D1 and once the WAC sends them packing they will no longer be in D1.

Agree with you 100%. SoCalBobcat has zero evidence, but he won't budge. So we just have to leave him to his guess, until it happens, and he then admits he was wrong.

(07-18-2017 10:48 AM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  From what I can tell, at no time have Augustana or the Summit even talked, maybe I'm missing an article, please provide the link.

There may well have been talks behind closed doors that will never be made public.

I just think there's no way in heck that SDSU would let either of the Sioux Falls private schools ever get in on that great basketball tournament with an awesome facility that goes on every year now and likely will be there for foreseeable future.

I doubt there were every any talks. When the Augustana AD mentioned they had been contacted about going D1 he was referencing the Sioux Falls media. The Summit has never contacted Augustana and never would. And you are right. SDSU and USD would both say no way. The state is way too small for three D1 schools.

I just want NoDak to post the article. As usual he seems to be taking an article and pretending it says something it does not.
07-18-2017 12:23 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(07-18-2017 11:43 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootbal...s_201.html

I brought this up to show that the big population growth are not in Kansas or Iowa.

The map show signs of heavy populated growth in North Dakota, South Dakota (which includes Black Hills State area), Wyoming, Montana, Colorado, western Oklahoma (includes SW Oklahoma State area), Omaha/Lincoln-Nebraska area, Minnesota (includes Minn. State-Mankato and Minn.-Duluth areas), Idaho, Washington (Central Washington University area is the biggest growth), Arkansas (including Pope County where Arkansas Tech is located), Colorado Mesa area have a surge.

West Texas area
Northeastern New Mexico
Eastern Colorado
Kansas
Iowa
Eastern Arkansas
Louisiana
Western Mississippi
eastern Nebraska
RuraL Montana

It depends on which schools from D2 in the area. Central Washington University to the Big Sky might work since it is one of the fastest growing region in Washington of the whole state of Washington to look at. It looks like everybody is leaving the cornfield region of the plain states to other states.

You should study the map again and figure out everything you have wrong.
07-18-2017 12:54 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(07-18-2017 10:39 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Western Washington was on the list for a possible WAC expansion a few years ago. Western Washington went 25-6 in men's basketball and went to the tournament.

Central Washington went 14-12 last year, and they played an exhibition game against Washington State in men's basketball losing 81-76. They seem to be able to compete at the D1 levels at all sports.

03-lmfao
Wow, losing an exhibition by 5 points to a team that had a losing record in 2016-17. I guess we should expect to see CWU win every national championship in every sport from now on.
07-18-2017 01:12 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
(07-18-2017 12:23 PM)jacksfan29 Wrote:  

I doubt there were every any talks. When the Augustana AD mentioned they had been contacted about going D1 he was referencing the Sioux Falls media. The Summit has never contacted Augustana and never would. And you are right. SDSU and USD would both say no way. The state is way too small for three D1 schools.

I just want NoDak to post the article. As usual he seems to be taking an article and pretending it says something it does not.

About as anal retentive post as ever posted here. The SDSU President was at least formerly the head of the Summit expansion committee. The Augie President knows his phone number.

Already posted it somewhere here and not going to repost for some anal retentive poster.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 02:07 PM by NoDak.)
07-18-2017 01:59 PM
ARSTATEFAN1986 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Arkansas State
(07-18-2017 11:43 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  http://www.pennlive.com/pennstatefootbal...s_201.html

West Texas area
Northeastern New Mexico
Eastern Colorado
Kansas
Iowa
Eastern Arkansas
Louisiana
Western Mississippi
eastern Nebraska
RuraL Montana

Population loss in East Arkansas....Jonesboro had about 32,000 when I lived there in the mid 1980's to over 72,000 now. Paragould has gone from less than 17,000 in 1990 to over 28,000 now. Truman, Pocahontas, Batesville/Southside area have grown. Again...you lack understanding.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 02:17 PM by ARSTATEFAN1986.)
07-18-2017 02:16 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(07-18-2017 02:16 PM)ARSTATEFAN1986 Wrote:  

West Texas area
Northeastern New Mexico
Eastern Colorado
Kansas
Iowa
Eastern Arkansas
Louisiana
Western Mississippi
eastern Nebraska
RuraL Montana

Population loss in East Arkansas....Jonesboro had about 32,000 when I lived there in the mid 1980's to over 72,000 now. Paragould has gone from less than 17,000 in 1990 to over 28,000 now. Truman, Pocahontas, Batesville/Southside area have grown. Again...you lack understanding.

If you look at the map again? The dark purple is the biggest lost of population. It does not cover the cities that you mentioned. It is along the border with Mississippi except around Memphis, and than an area that touches the Tennessee and Missouri border.
07-18-2017 02:26 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU

Where is the evidence that this is their last season in the WAC? A quote from anyone other than someone wishing or predicting it on a board.
07-18-2017 03:13 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

You want a quote from a WAC commish or AD saying "Yeah, we're planning to boot Chicago State out after next year"??

There is no such thing, in any conference, before the fact. That's why it's on you, as the defender, to come up with solid evidence supporting their inclusion.
(This post was last modified: 07-18-2017 03:16 PM by MplsBison.)
07-18-2017 03:16 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(07-18-2017 03:16 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  You want a quote from a WAC commish or AD saying "Yeah, we're planning to boot Chicago State out after next year"??

There is no such thing, in any conference, before the fact. That's why it's on you, as the defender, to come up with solid evidence supporting their inclusion.

I don't know why it is on me since no one has said anything about them leaving, but here is evidence that they are not leaving:

http://www.themonitor.com/sports/article...48a3d.html

This article was from October 17, 2016. This from the article:

Hurd said he’s visited Chicago State as recently as the past couple weeks. He believes their WAC membership is secure.

“My conversations with Chicago State indicate that the institution is committed to remaining at the Division I level, it’s committed to the WAC, and as it moves on, it’s internally structuring itself so it can handle the challenges that it has from a budget situation and from an enrollment situation,” Hurd said. “Obviously, those have to improve. But I don’t have any reason to believe today that they won’t improve.”

Now that the Illinois State budget has been approved and there will be money flowing to schools in Illinois, the issues that Chicago State faces can be addressed. One thing not mentioned in this article is "the contract." It only comes up on this board.
07-18-2017 11:42 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
Nice like Bobcat. Had not seen that quote. noted.

However the Lucy administration, a continuation of the Watson regime, of that article is no longer running the show.

1. Trustee Nikki Zollar resigned her position on the Board.
2. Associate Vice President of Human Resources Renee Mitchell resigned
3. Police Chief Patricia Walsh no longer works at Chicago State
4. General Counsel Patrick Cage no longer works at Chicago State
5. Interim Vice President of Administration and Finance and former Interim President Cecil Lucy no longer works at Chicago State

There are still a number of Watson holdovers remaining, most notably and most toxic Provost Angela Henderson. But the support system of cronies have been stripped down and her hold is tenuous. Trustee Marshall Hatch has yet to resign as well, and so is assistant provost Yvonne Davila (amazingly incompetent Zollar crony). If the new administration can get rid of Henderson, then the path will be clear for reform to begin.

At some point the new administration will focus on Athletics. But to date they have made no commitment.

As for the money flowing, the most important for Chicago state is MAP, as 95% of their students are on this aid. There is however no indication that any lost funds from prior years will be restored to any Illinois schools. (There was no sudden increase in tax receipts, just a budget to distribute the money coming in more along the lines of priorities rather than emergency needs). I don't see how that translates to athletics, which right now absorbs almost $1500 a year per student to operate, almost 5x the norm. There are no donations, almost zero ticket sales and other merchandise to offset costs. The administration will certainly look at this very soon.

When the new administration says they will continue in the WAC I will believe it. But the words of an old Watson holdover like interim AD Diddy means nothing. Cecil Lucy no longer controls the purse strings.
07-19-2017 02:14 AM
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
(07-18-2017 11:42 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  One thing not mentioned in this article is "the contract." It only comes up on this board.

Well, here due to it appearing on Chicago State BoT minutes...
07-19-2017 08:40 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(07-19-2017 02:14 AM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Nice like Bobcat. Had not seen that quote. noted

As for the money flowing, the most important for Chicago state is MAP, as 95% of their students are on this aid. There is however no indication that any lost funds from prior years will be restored to any Illinois schools. (There was no sudden increase in tax receipts, just a budget to distribute the money coming in more along the lines of priorities rather than emergency needs). I don't see how that translates to athletics, which right now absorbs almost $1500 a year per student to operate, almost 5x the norm. There are no donations, almost zero ticket sales and other merchandise to offset costs. The administration will certainly look at this very soon.

When the new administration says they will continue in the WAC I will believe it. But the words of an old Watson holdover like interim AD Diddy means nothing. Cecil Lucy no longer controls the purse strings.

Stu, all schools in Illinois will be receiving their MAP money for Fiscal Year 2017, which ended on June 30th, and for Fiscal Year 2018, which began July 1st. The state is releasing $400 million in MAP money. All schools are getting their funding owed from FY 17, which is $23 million for Chicago State. The state of Illinois has increased the state income tax by 32% to pay for the spending, effective July 16th. That is raising about $5 billion per year.

It is going to take time for the new board to implement changes and improvements. They are operating on a reduced budget of $79 million this year, down from $106 million two years ago. They eliminated about 300 jobs over the past two years.

Athletics have not been affected and in fact they just got a commitment from a 3 star guard from Chicago. Athletics are the least of their problems at Chicago State and being D1 and a member of the WAC is seen as helpful at this point in time.
07-19-2017 09:28 AM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(07-18-2017 11:42 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  I don't know why it is on me since no one has said anything about them leaving

Because, as I just explained, there can't be any public quotes about them being evicted before the fact. It doesn't work that way.

The WAC commish isn't going to come out in public months before the fact and say "Yeah Chicago St is gonna get canned, were done with their a__es."

(07-18-2017 11:42 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  http://www.themonitor.com/sports/article...48a3d.html

This article was from October 17, 2016. This from the article:

Hurd said he’s visited Chicago State as recently as the past couple weeks. He believes their WAC membership is secure.

“My conversations with Chicago State indicate that the institution is committed to remaining at the Division I level, it’s committed to the WAC, and as it moves on, it’s internally structuring itself so it can handle the challenges that it has from a budget situation and from an enrollment situation,” Hurd said. “Obviously, those have to improve. But I don’t have any reason to believe today that they won’t improve.”

Now that the Illinois State budget has been approved and there will be money flowing to schools in Illinois, the issues that Chicago State faces can be addressed. One thing not mentioned in this article is "the contract." It only comes up on this board.

Ok fine, guess what -- your argument has a heartbeat. It's not dead.

You however cannot pretend that Chicago St doesn't have massive structure issues, in terms of enrollment and just surviving as a school. How can a public school with enrollment dropping from ~8k to ~3k even dare to talk about needing to spend $10M to stay in NCAA DI athletics??

The NAIA would be much more appropriate for their situation.

(07-19-2017 09:28 AM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  It is going to take time for the new board to implement changes and improvements. They are operating on a reduced budget of $79 million this year, down from $106 million two years ago. They eliminated about 300 jobs over the past two years.

And spending $10M/year on athletics would be prudent for such a school???? Not a chance in h_ll.

Glad they got a 3 star bball player. A coach can tell a player whatever he wants ... the coach doesn't control what happens to the school. If CSU leaves the WAC, then that player will be allowed to transfer and be eligible immediately.
07-19-2017 11:06 AM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(07-19-2017 11:06 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(07-18-2017 11:42 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  Ok fine, guess what -- your argument has a heartbeat. It's not dead.

You however cannot pretend that Chicago St doesn't have massive structure issues, in terms of enrollment and just surviving as a school. How can a public school with enrollment dropping from ~8k to ~3k even dare to talk about needing to spend $10M to stay in NCAA DI athletics??

The NAIA would be much more appropriate for their situation.

[quote='SoCalBobcat78' pid='14453299' dateline='1500474497']
It is going to take time for the new board to implement changes and improvements. They are operating on a reduced budget of $79 million this year, down from $106 million two years ago. They eliminated about 300 jobs over the past two years.

And spending $10M/year on athletics would be prudent for such a school???? Not a chance in h_ll.

Glad they got a 3 star bball player. A coach can tell a player whatever he wants ... the coach doesn't control what happens to the school. If CSU leaves the WAC, then that player will be allowed to transfer and be eligible immediately.

Your numbers on athletic spending are off. Chicago State spent $5.4 million on athletics in 2015-2016:

https://ope.ed.gov/athletics/#/

They will probably go back to their 2015-2016 athletic budget number of $6.2 million. Chicago State has enrollment and mismanagement issues. The new board and new administrative leadership will be focused on fixing these issues. The new state budget has helped improve the CSU financial situation and they can now spend money on recruitment and retention of students. I don't see how dropping down in Athletics will help with recruitment and retention of students. Besides, schools without football don't drop down from D1. Schools with football rarely drop down from D1.

The enrollment issues are not just with Chicago State. EIU got killed by the state budget crisis and saw their enrollment drop 13% this past year and their freshman enrollment drop by 25%. EIU in May was considering dropping four sports. No decision was made, but because they have men's soccer in the Summit, they could make a financial decision to drop men's soccer and that puts the Summit below six in men's soccer. I think it is obvious that Fort Wayne wants in to the Horizon. That league is made for them from a travel standpoint. If that happens, then who goes to the Summit (back to the Post Subject)? Does Denver and Oral Roberts start looking around?
07-23-2017 04:53 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-23-2017 04:53 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The enrollment issues are not just with Chicago State. EIU got killed by the state budget crisis and saw their enrollment drop 13% this past year and their freshman enrollment drop by 25%. EIU in May was considering dropping four sports. No decision was made, but because they have men's soccer in the Summit, they could make a financial decision to drop men's soccer and that puts the Summit below six in men's soccer. I think it is obvious that Fort Wayne wants in to the Horizon. That league is made for them from a travel standpoint. If that happens, then who goes to the Summit (back to the Post Subject)? Does Denver and Oral Roberts start looking around?

Very interesting regarding EIU. So in essence, the Summit is on it's deathbed if it loses EIU men's soccer, or IPFW, or WIU, or Omaha, or ORU or Denver. No baseball or men's soccer team are available within two years, as DII transitions take longer then that.

One sport can save them and that's football, if it adds from the west. But there are so many posters here that would absolutely deny that logical answer. UND didn't join to be in a deathbed conference.
(This post was last modified: 07-23-2017 07:38 PM by NoDak.)
07-23-2017 07:23 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(07-23-2017 07:23 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 04:53 PM)SoCalBobcat78 Wrote:  The enrollment issues are not just with Chicago State. EIU got killed by the state budget crisis and saw their enrollment drop 13% this past year and their freshman enrollment drop by 25%. EIU in May was considering dropping four sports. No decision was made, but because they have men's soccer in the Summit, they could make a financial decision to drop men's soccer and that puts the Summit below six in men's soccer. I think it is obvious that Fort Wayne wants in to the Horizon. That league is made for them from a travel standpoint. If that happens, then who goes to the Summit (back to the Post Subject)? Does Denver and Oral Roberts start looking around?

Very interesting regarding EIU. So in essence, the Summit is on it's deathbed if it loses EIU men's soccer, or IPFW, or WIU, or Omaha, or ORU or Denver. No baseball or men's soccer team are available within two years, as DII transitions take longer then that.

One sport can save them and that's football, if it adds from the west. But there are poster here that would absolutely deny that logical answer. UND didn't join to be in a deathbed conference.

But those schools in the west are already in a FB centric conference...

...or UND just wanted to be in conference with other members that are slashing athletics budgets and reducing its sports offering. Seems like UND made the right move as they find themselves with like company.
07-23-2017 07:39 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

(07-23-2017 07:39 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  

One sport can save them and that's football, if it adds from the west. But there are poster here that would absolutely deny that logical answer. UND didn't join to be in a deathbed conference.

...or UND just wanted to be in conference with other members that are slashing athletics budgets and reducing its sports offering. Seems like UND made the right move as they find themselves with like company.
If UND was really serious about slashing athletic costs, it would have cut FCOA, as it was the only Big Sky school that fully offers it. But the costs were non-revenue sports that it should have cut when it moved up. No athletically serious Big Sky school offers 21 sports. Yeah, we used to and Sac St still does.
07-23-2017 07:45 PM
SDHornet Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Sac State
(07-23-2017 07:45 PM)NoDak Wrote:  
(07-23-2017 07:39 PM)SDHornet Wrote:  

If UND was really serious about slashing athletic costs, it would have cut FCOA, as it was the only Big Sky school that fully offers it. But the costs were non-revenue sports that it should have cut when it moved up. No athletically serious Big Sky school offers 21 sports. Yeah, we used to and Sac St still does.

Most of the BSC offers the bare minimum sports required of FCS...and none of them are breaking any doors down on a path to FBS, or whatever an athletically serious school means.
07-23-2017 07:56 PM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.