Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

CBS SPORTS TO REMAIN HOME OF ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL CLASSIC THROUGH 2028
msm96wolf Offline
All American

I Root For:
RE: CBS SPORTS TO REMAIN HOME OF ANNUAL ARMY-NAVY FOOTBALL CLASSIC THROUGH 2028
(05-18-2017 01:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-18-2017 01:38 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I found this from the original Navy joining the Big East. You have to think there must have been an extension clause that allowed Navy to keep the game. Only question is it one time only or renewable end of each contract? I find it ironic, Aresco represented CBS at that time.

From the article

"The Army-Navy game remains on that second Saturday in December," he said.

Gladchuk also said that Navy's television deals with CBS and CBS Sports Network had to be accommodated by the Big East.

"Partnership with CBS was one of the reasons this agreement took a little time to finalize," he said.

CBS owns the TV rights to the Army-Navy game and Navy's home games against Notre Dame through 2018. Navy has a separate deal with CBS Sports Network for the TV rights to its other home games that runs through 2017.

"We have a great relationship with the academies, and our deals will be grandfathered for the length of our contracts" said Mike Aresco, executive vice president for programming at CBS Sports.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/sto...tball-2015

Im telling you, Aresco has been saying for years that the Army-Navy game would be part of the new package---and it may be. Just because its been renewed separately doesn't necessarily mean the money isn't going into the shared pot (similar to Boise's ESPN deal). Of course, it also doesn't mean it IS going into the same pot either. Just don't know yet. My inclination is to think it is not being shared---but I base that more on a prior AAC history of negative outcomes when it comes to media more than any real facts.

AC, I agree with you that Aresco has infered that Army/Navy would be part of the TV package.

Please note, I simply was saying you think the contract may have had an extension clause since most do. Not saying there was one but if Aresco is the wheeler and dealer everyone says he is, you have to think when he was at CBS he made it the best possible deal for them. You would also think, since he made the comments in the article, he should know the contract. From the article, it sounded like the Big East/AAC was getting nothing from the existing contract.

You think Aresco would be out in front of this to keep the AAC fans from wondering. I can't think of any Power Conference that would allow a team to play an OOC rival and not have it shared in the confernece. You think Aresco would address it sooner than later.
05-18-2017 03:03 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
goodknightfl Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For:
(05-18-2017 01:38 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  I found this from the original Navy joining the Big East. You have to think there must have been an extension clause that allowed Navy to keep the game. Only question is it one time only or renewable end of each contract? I find it ironic, Aresco represented CBS at that time.

From the article

Gladchuk also said that Navy's television deals with CBS and CBS Sports Network had to be accommodated by the Big East.

"Partnership with CBS was one of the reasons this agreement took a little time to finalize," he said.

CBS owns the TV rights to the Army-Navy game and Navy's home games against Notre Dame through 2018. Navy has a separate deal with CBS Sports Network for the TV rights to its other home games that runs through 2017.

"We have a great relationship with the academies, and our deals will be grandfathered for the length of our contracts" said Mike Aresco, executive vice president for programming at CBS Sports.

Im telling you, Aresco has been saying for years that the Army-Navy game would be part of the new package---and it may be. Just because its been renewed separately doesn't necessarily mean the money isn't going into the shared pot (similar to Boise's ESPN deal). Of course, it also doesn't mean it IS going into the same pot either. Just don't know yet. My inclination is to think it is not being shared---but I base that more on a prior AAC history of negative outcomes when it comes to media more than any real facts.

Exactly It is/was not part of ESPN deal and is due to be renegotiated.
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 06:03 PM by goodknightfl.)
05-18-2017 03:29 PM
Kittonhead Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Beat Matisse
Not good news for the AAC contract, IMO.

07-coffee3
05-19-2017 07:09 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
(05-19-2017 07:09 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Not good news for the AAC contract, IMO.

07-coffee3

Well, it's not good news, but it's also not terrible news either. It's one less block that Aresco can argue with networks to say they are deserving of substantial raise. The AAC will, however, get the every-other-year matchup of ND/Navy, but that alone isn't enough to demand such an increase.

At the end of the day, the highest rated matchups the AAC has offered have been OOC matchups (Houston/OU, Houston/UL, Temple/ND, etc.). If the argument for more money is that the AAC can bring eyeballs when playing big-time opponents, I feel that the AAC is due for a let-down. The AAC needs to start getting better viewership and attendance from within the conference slate, and not depend on big OOC matchups to drive perception.
05-19-2017 07:54 PM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-19-2017 07:54 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  
(05-19-2017 07:09 PM)Kittonhead Wrote:  Not good news for the AAC contract, IMO.

07-coffee3

Well, it's not good news, but it's also not terrible news either. It's one less block that Aresco can argue with networks to say they are deserving of substantial raise. The AAC will, however, get the every-other-year matchup of ND/Navy, but that alone isn't enough to demand such an increase.

At the end of the day, the highest rated matchups the AAC has offered have been OOC matchups (Houston/OU, Houston/UL, Temple/ND, etc.). If the argument for more money is that the AAC can bring eyeballs when playing big-time opponents, I feel that the AAC is due for a let-down. The AAC needs to start getting better viewership and attendance from within the conference slate, and not depend on big OOC matchups to drive perception.
I doubt the AAC will get the ND/Navy games when Navy is the 'home' team.
05-19-2017 08:33 PM
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston

07-coffee3

To be fair, we had 32 games per Aresco that were over 1 million viewers over the last 3 seasons. I havent done a 3 season audit, but I did count them back in 2015 and I know the million+ viewer games that season were split 50-50 between OOC and conference games. So, while the OOC games are certainly a significant part of the viewing draw---the conference has proven capable of drawing interest for its better "in conference" matchups.
(This post was last modified: 05-19-2017 08:38 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-19-2017 08:34 PM
cotton1991 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Memphis
(05-19-2017 08:33 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

07-coffee3

I doubt the AAC will get the ND/Navy games when Navy is the 'home' team.

The top AAC games for viewership in 2016--OK-Houston, 5.6 million, Memphis-Houston, 3.06 million, Houston-Louisville, 2.4 million, Navy-Notre Dame, 2.4 million, and Temple-Navy 2.0
05-19-2017 09:55 PM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

I Root For: USF/Georgetown
(05-18-2017 01:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im telling you, Aresco has been saying for years that the Army-Navy game would be part of the new package---and it may be. Just because its been renewed separately doesn't necessarily mean the money isn't going into the shared pot (similar to Boise's ESPN deal). Of course, it also doesn't mean it IS going into the same pot either. Just don't know yet. My inclination is to think it is not being shared---but I base that more on a prior AAC history of negative outcomes when it comes to media more than any real facts.

.... so if Navy isn't sharing this renewal money with the AAC, that would be yet another Aresco failure.

But I agree at this point it's an "if", because as you say we don't know for sure whether Navy is sharing or not. But if they aren't ...
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 07:50 AM by quo vadis.)
05-20-2017 05:50 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-18-2017 03:03 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  

From the article

AC, I agree with you that Aresco has infered that Army/Navy would be part of the TV package.

Please note, I simply was saying you think the contract may have had an extension clause since most do. Not saying there was one but if Aresco is the wheeler and dealer everyone says he is, you have to think when he was at CBS he made it the best possible deal for them. You would also think, since he made the comments in the article, he should know the contract. From the article, it sounded like the Big East/AAC was getting nothing from the existing contract.

You think Aresco would be out in front of this to keep the AAC fans from wondering. I can't think of any Power Conference that would allow a team to play an OOC rival and not have it shared in the confernece. You think Aresco would address it sooner than later.

Let's think about Aresco's modus as commissioner these past 5 years: If anything happens that can possibly, even in the most tenuous way, be touted as some kind of positive for the AAC, he trumpets it to high heaven.

But, if something happens that is negative, he either ignores it until somehow cornered point-blank by an interviewer, or else pooh-poohs it as trivial despite its apparent negative nature. But he doesn't seem to go out of his way to proactively talk about it.

Which makes his silence so far ominous. Sure, as Attackcoog says, maybe Navy is sharing their share of the dough with the rest of us, we just don't know. But IMO, Aresco's silence is ominous.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 06:13 AM by quo vadis.)
05-20-2017 05:55 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-20-2017 05:55 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  

From the article

Let's think about Aresco's modus as commissioner these past 5 years: If anything happens that can possibly, even in the most tenuous way, be touted as some kind of positive for the AAC, he trumpets it to high heaven.

But, if something happens that is negative, he either ignores it until somehow cornered point-blank by an interviewer, or else pooh-poohs it as trivial despite its apparent negative nature. But he doesn't seem to go out of his way to proactively talk about it.

Which makes his silence so far ominous. Sure, as Attackcoog says, maybe Navy is sharing their share of the dough with the rest of us, we just don't know. But IMO, Aresco's silence is ominous.

To be fair, no commissioner talks about he financial details of tv deals. That said, I doubt the money is being shared. I agtee---if this were a positive for future revenue, Aresco would have said so (though he would not have said what the amount is). In a related note I find interesting---I've not heard a peep about the amount CBS is paying. i bet we'd have a number to kick around if McMurphy was still employed.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 09:05 AM by Attackcoog.)
05-20-2017 09:03 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-20-2017 09:03 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

From the article

To be fair, no commissioner talks about he financial details of tv deals. That said, I doubt the money is being shared. I agtee---if this were a positive for future revenue, Aresco would have said so (though he would not have said what the amount is). In a related note I find interesting---I've not heard a peep about the amount CBS is paying. i bet we'd have a number to kick around if McMurphy was still employed.

Really? They might not tell us the fine-grained details, but they do tell us something. E.g. there is usually an announcement such as "the PAC signed a deal with ESPN that will pay the conference $2 B over 10 years, or an average of $20m per school per year". We get that information. And e.g., how do we know how the B1G and SEC and PAC, etc. split their TV and bowl money? Because they've told us. I don't see anything 'proprietary' about whether Navy's share of the Army-Navy contract is being shared by the conference or does it all go to Navy.

Like you, I'd be interested in the $$$ of the new Army/Navy deal as well. Could give us new info about the direction of rights fees generally.
(This post was last modified: 05-20-2017 10:45 AM by quo vadis.)
05-20-2017 09:17 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-20-2017 09:17 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-18-2017 01:43 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  Im telling you, Aresco has been saying for years that the Army-Navy game would be part of the new package---and it may be. Just because its been renewed separately doesn't necessarily mean the money isn't going into the shared pot (similar to Boise's ESPN deal). Of course, it also doesn't mean it IS going into the same pot either. Just don't know yet. My inclination is to think it is not being shared---but I base that more on a prior AAC history of negative outcomes when it comes to media more than any real facts.

Really? They might not tell us the fine-grained details, but they do tell us something. E.g. there is usually an announcement such as "the PAC signed a deal with ESPN that will pay the conference $2 B over 10 years, or an average of $20m per school per year". We get that information. And e.g., how do we know how the B1G and SEC and PAC, etc. split their TV and bowl money? Because they've told us. I don't see anything 'proprietary' about whether Navy's share of the Army-Navy contract is being shared by the conference or does it all go to Navy.

Like you, I'd be interested in the $$$ of the new Army/Navy deal as well. Could give us new info about the direction of rights fees generally.

No. I can't remember any such announcement. The number typically leaks out, but it's usually not announced by the conference. Sports articles will certainly give an amount, but I don't remember a conference press release or press conference doing so. They usually speak in vague generalities like "gives us financial security", "best deal in the country", "competitive deal", "similarly positioned", "on a par with" etc.
05-21-2017 12:46 AM
quo vadis Offline
Legend

(05-21-2017 12:46 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-18-2017 03:03 PM)msm96wolf Wrote:  AC, I agree with you that Aresco has infered that Army/Navy would be part of the TV package.

No. I can't remember any such announcement. The number typically leaks out, but it's usually not announced by the conference. Sports articles will certainly give an amount, but I don't remember a conference press release or press conference doing so. They usually speak in vague generalities like "gives us financial security", "best deal in the country", "competitive deal", "similarly positioned", "on a par with" etc.

OK, but even if so, that wouldn't preclude Aresco telling us what we want to know, which is whether Navy's cut of the new contract money will be shared with the rest of the AAC or whether they keep it all. No specific numbers are needed for that.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 07:36 AM by quo vadis.)
05-21-2017 07:35 AM
Attackcoog Offline

(05-21-2017 07:35 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  
(05-21-2017 12:46 AM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(05-20-2017 05:55 AM)quo vadis Wrote:  Let's think about Aresco's modus as commissioner these past 5 years: If anything happens that can possibly, even in the most tenuous way, be touted as some kind of positive for the AAC, he trumpets it to high heaven.

OK, but even if so, that wouldn't preclude Aresco telling us what we want to know, which is whether Navy's cut of the new contract money will be shared with the rest of the AAC or whether they keep it all. No specific numbers are needed for that.

Correct. While I don't have definitive proof or a link, I'm fairly certain the other AAC teams wont be seeing any benefit from the Army-Navy game. If it were a revenue boost or if it were being shared, Aresco would have said something to that effect (as his track record has been to promote any positive development for the conference).
05-21-2017 09:34 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.