Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Is it just me?
Dr. Isaly von Yinzer Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Common Sense
Is it just me?
Is it just me or is it beginning to feel like Baylor and Penn State are developing an epic rivalry for most out of control university?

It's like watching the university equivalent of the Thrilla in Manila. Every time you think you have seen the haymaker to end all haymakers, yet another inexplicable scandal pops up and re-draws the map.

It's almost impressive how brazenly out of control and perspectiveless the fans and administers at both universities have shown themselves to be.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 06:33 PM by Dr. Isaly von Yinzer.)
05-17-2017 06:31 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
RE: Is it just me?
Shut them both down, move Purdue to the B1G East and Kansas to the B1G West. The Big 8 can then reload, or more than likely, get scattered into the P4 weeds.
05-17-2017 08:16 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
It's just you...
05-17-2017 08:36 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
r u kidding me
adminstrates are covering up rape with police depts & fans don't see a promblem
mind boggling really
05-17-2017 10:06 PM
BearcatJerry Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: UC Bearcats
(05-17-2017 10:06 PM)templefootballfan Wrote:  r u kidding me
adminstrates are covering up rape with police depts & fans don't see a promblem
mind boggling really

Were you born yesterday?

This has been happening...forever...really.

Do you not remember Jameis Winston and the Tallahassee PD? Or Lawrence Phillips and Christian Peter and the Lincoln, NE PD? Or pretty much any other major university in a football crazed state (or BB too...)?

Really.
This has been going on...forever. The "Rape Culture" is really out there and athletes are a key part of it. Some of these kids have been guaranteed success from a very early age because they can run faster, throw harder, or are just bigger than another kid. They have been passed through school and had heads turned the other way just to ensure their eligibility and success. And suddenly you're outraged because...why???

The real key is what if that superstar kid played for Temple? Would you be as outraged if he was part of the reason your school won 11 games and got $20 Million a year? If that kid was the reason your stadium was sold out with cheering fans instead of clawing for half-capacity on a good day? If that kid was part of the reason Temple was ranked in the "Top 10" and leading off the newscast instead of been reported on as an after-thought behind the "Phillies Hot Stove League"?

You'll no doubt say "Hell yes, I'd be just as mad!" but I'm not so sure.
05-17-2017 10:19 PM
Advertisement

oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
Tulane once had a scandal with the basketball team in the 1980s - that was a good team, too. Our administration showed athletics who is boss around town REAL fast.
05-17-2017 10:37 PM
templefootballfan Offline
Heisman

I Root For: TU & BGSU & TEX
certainly im aware it's been going on forever
sometimes it a cash grap
when u have ur pick of entire school
how does that happen
05-18-2017 01:08 AM
CardinalJim Offline
Welcome to The New Age

I Root For: Louisville
My best man ran track at EKU in the late 70's/ early 80's. As is the case today UK and EKU athletes hang together usually workout together. He got to be good friends with a guy that got taken ahead of Michael Jordan in the draft the year Jordan came out. He said the guy had mounds of coke on a table in the Wildcat Lodge that looked like 5lb bags of sugar.

Another friend played football for Jerry Claiborne at UK. He told me the year he came out Louisville offered him a car. Bob Weber offered him a used Monte Carlo. We still laugh about that.

As big a Louisville fan as I am, I don't buy that Rick didn't have some kind of inkling about what was going on in Mardi Hall. It just doesn't make sense. Everything players do or eat is controlled except for a very small amount of personal time. I just don't buy it.

With all that being said every college program in the country has some level of non-compliance. Anyone that believes otherwise is at least naïve or worse foolish. Most of course don't reach the level of PSU (that I consider much worse than Baylor BTW). The amount of rules that the NCAA has it's difficult for programs not to fracture a few rules. Most get reported but many don't.
CJ
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 05:24 AM by CardinalJim.)
05-18-2017 05:23 AM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
Charles Thompson and Oklahoma

That pervert was following my sister at one point on the OU campus, but she was 17. She got to do her senior year with an early start to college in high school.
05-18-2017 05:53 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-17-2017 10:37 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Tulane once had a scandal with the basketball team in the 1980s - that was a good team, too. Our administration showed athletics who is boss around town REAL fast.

Tulane once had a good athletic team? Who knew?
05-18-2017 08:57 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(05-18-2017 05:23 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  My best man ran track at EKU in the late 70's/ early 80's. As is the case today UK and EKU athletes hang together usually workout together. He got to be good friends with a guy that got taken ahead of Michael Jordan in the draft the year Jordan came out. He said the guy had mounds of coke on a table in the Wildcat Lodge that looked like 5lb bags of sugar.

Another friend played football for Jerry Claiborne at UK. He told me the year he came out Louisville offered him a car. Bob Weber offered him a used Monte Carlo. We still laugh about that.

As big a Louisville fan as I am, I don't buy that Rick didn't have some kind of inkling about what was going on in Mardi Hall. It just doesn't make sense. Everything players do or eat is controlled except for a very small amount of personal time. I just don't buy it.

With all that being said every college program in the country has some level of non-compliance. Anyone that believes otherwise is at least naïve or worse foolish. Most of course don't reach the level of PSU (that I consider much worse than Baylor BTW). The amount of rules that the NCAA has it's difficult for programs not to fracture a few rules. Most get reported but many don't.
CJ

Agreed. I know it's cynical, but I believe that the reason why threats of the death penalty or a conference kicking out a school are completely empty is that every Division I school out there would have NCAA violations if they were investigated. Every school knows that they would be hypocrites casting the first stone and they don't want the light to be shone on their own programs.

Just think about how much the captain of the football team or a star athlete at even your average high school can get away with compared to the average student. You can multiply that times 1000 at the college level (especially with millions of dollars on the line).

Furthermore, if a league were to actually entertain the thought of kicking out a school (which I think is a non-starter message board fantasy in situations like Baylor and the Big 12), it's not as if though the school getting kicked out is going away quietly. If Baylor was kicked out of the Big 12 on the basis of these lawsuits, you can guarantee that school in the Big 12 would get subpoenas for records of sexual misconduct of their own athletes and it would get ugly VERY fast. No school wants that to happen because they all know that they're dirty at some level. That's not to say that Baylor deserves to get away with nothing happening to them, but people need to see the context in which the other schools aren't thinking "Baylor is awful", but rather "I'm glad *we're* not being investigated".
(This post was last modified: 05-18-2017 09:55 AM by Frank the Tank.)
05-18-2017 09:12 AM
Frank the Tank Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
Note that I'm not defending Baylor or any other school that covers up misconduct. I'm just very dejected about how widespread it is even at the high school level (much less at college programs). It's a horrible societal problem beyond the realm of sports.
05-18-2017 09:26 AM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(05-17-2017 10:37 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  Tulane once had a scandal with the basketball team in the 1980s - that was a good team, too. Our administration showed athletics who is boss around town REAL fast.

BYU football had a similar incident during the Crowton era. We were "this close" to a complete shut down of the football program by the Board of Trustees (mostly LDS Church leadership). Gratefully, Bronco Mendenhall came in and cleaned up the program, changed the recruiting philosophy, and righted the ship.
05-18-2017 09:39 AM
Advertisement

bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(05-18-2017 09:26 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  Note that I'm not defending Baylor or any other school that covers up misconduct. I'm just very dejected about how widespread it is even at the high school level (much less at college programs). It's a horrible societal problem beyond the realm of sports.

Even at Notre Dame, they covered for that football player who was accused of fondling the female student who later committed suicide. Several women said they had faced similar situations when raped at Notre Dame. And they put that student at risk who died on the tower in the high winds. And you really don't think of Notre Dame as a sleazy school.
05-18-2017 09:51 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(05-18-2017 08:57 AM)ken d Wrote:  

Tulane once had a good athletic team? Who knew?

Had Tulane turned a blind eye, they could have become a corrupt version of Marquette. Tulane weren't a 200ish rpi team back in the day...

Men's basketball hasn't recovered. At least Tulane wants to try to win now, though.
05-18-2017 10:36 AM
miko33 Offline
Defender of Honesty and Integrity

I Root For: Alma Mater
(05-18-2017 09:12 AM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(05-18-2017 05:23 AM)CardinalJim Wrote:  My best man ran track at EKU in the late 70's/ early 80's. As is the case today UK and EKU athletes hang together usually workout together. He got to be good friends with a guy that got taken ahead of Michael Jordan in the draft the year Jordan came out. He said the guy had mounds of coke on a table in the Wildcat Lodge that looked like 5lb bags of sugar.

CJ

Agreed. I know it's cynical, but I believe that the reason why threats of the death penalty or a conference kicking out a school are completely empty is that every Division I school out there would have NCAA violations if they were investigated. Every school knows that they would be hypocrites casting the first stone and they don't want the light to be shone on their own programs.

Just think about how much the captain of the football team or a star athlete at even your average high school can get away with compared to the average student. You can multiply that times 1000 at the college level (especially with millions of dollars on the line).

Furthermore, if a league were to actually entertain the thought of kicking out a school (which I think is a non-starter message board fantasy in situations like Baylor and the Big 12), it's not as if though the school getting kicked out is going away quietly. If Baylor was kicked out of the Big 12 on the basis of these lawsuits, you can guarantee that school in the Big 12 would get subpoenas for records of sexual misconduct of their own athletes and it would get ugly VERY fast. No school wants that to happen because they all know that they're dirty at some level. That's not to say that Baylor deserves to get away with nothing happening to them, but people need to see the context in which the other schools aren't thinking "Baylor is awful", but rather "I'm glad *we're* not being investigated".

This is why we need an NFL minor league or an expanded D league for the NBA.
05-18-2017 11:02 AM
Captain Bearcat Offline
All-American in Everything

I Root For: UC
(05-18-2017 05:53 AM)DavidSt Wrote:  Charles Thompson and Oklahoma

That pervert was following my sister at one point on the OU campus, but she was 17. She got to do her senior year with an early start to college in high school.

Could you elaborate? Your story does not sound like the actions of a pervert. An overconfident d-bag or maybe a pushy stalker, but not a pervert. A 20-year old talking to an attractive 17-year old is not a pervert - I've known several good marriages that started that way.
05-19-2017 06:19 PM
DoubleRSU Offline
All American

I Root For: Seattle U

Look at how well it worked out for Tulane. Jerald Honeycutt ain't walking through those doors.
05-19-2017 09:54 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.