Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

What Conference will Liberty end up in.
Hokie4Skins Offline
All American

I Root For: Ed O'Bannon
RE: What Conference will Liberty end up in.
Controversial at Baylor, Ian McCaw has been miracle worker at Liberty University:

http://pilotonline.com/sports/columnist/...5038b.html
05-16-2017 07:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ArQ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Pitt/Louisville
(05-13-2017 06:39 AM)Denny Crum Wrote:  I think it will be CUSA

The conference closest to Washington D.C. and President Trump.

That is ACC. The executive order will make it happen.
05-16-2017 09:18 PM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
I don't like LU, but they're going to win because they've got resources and the willingness to get down in the dirt for an advantage. You don't hire an ex-Baylor guy to run your program if you're going to keep things tidy.

Liberty could get scary good as they're willing to do the things that Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa simply will not.
05-16-2017 11:45 PM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
(05-16-2017 01:55 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 12:55 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 12:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  That TV network is a mirage. No one watches it. Quick....where is Liberty TV on your cable lineup? Don't know? That's what I thought 99% of you would say.

All of our games are on ESPN3, at a minimum. Half of the Belt games are televised on higher level formats. Liberty TV isn't going to be paying anything significant for the carriage rights either.

No one watches BYU TV either except Mormons.

I don't get the benefit from BYU TV or Liberty TV. If anything, its a millstone, condemning our games to be broadcasted on networks that have zero exposure. You think the local sports bar is going to carry Liberty TV on its screens?

I don't think many of us liked BeIN. Liberty TV is like BeIN in a vacuum.

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Liberty Flames Sports Network get a deal with Sinclair Broadcasting.

LOL. That wouldn't surprise me either. But I'd remember that Sinclair's game is to PRETEND that they're not having an agenda. Many of their best media outlets are also network affiliates. They aren't pre-empting regular programming to run LU football. Maybe sub-channel 3 in certain markets. The multi-channels frequently aren't on local cable packages either (on Comcast yes - but are hard to find in a lineup - ATT U-verse doesn't carry sub-channel broadcast outlets at all in its packages)

If there is some sort of deal, it would probably be like a "Jefferson Pilot" deal where some, but not all Sinclair stations participate. Basically, it might take the form of LU simply paying for 3 hours of broadcasting so they can have their games carried.

And while I'm fully aware of what Sinclair is....they're not going to preempt network programming on a Saturday or Sunday (much less a weeknight) to show Sun Belt, CUSA, MAC, MWC, or Liberty football.

Sinclair will become a nationwide player with the planned acquisition of Tribune Media and its 42 TV stations, giving it a powerful platform.

“This is a transformational acquisition for Sinclair that will open up a myriad of opportunities for the company,” Sinclair Chief Executive Chris Ripley told investors."

Someone need to go after a failing ESPN under Disney?
https://heatst.com/culture-wars/failing-...ral-msnbc/
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 07:07 AM by Liberty Fan.)
05-17-2017 06:24 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-17-2017 06:24 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 12:04 PM)Tom in Lazybrook Wrote:  That TV network is a mirage. No one watches it. Quick....where is Liberty TV on your cable lineup? Don't know? That's what I thought 99% of you would say.

All of our games are on ESPN3, at a minimum. Half of the Belt games are televised on higher level formats. Liberty TV isn't going to be paying anything significant for the carriage rights either.

I don't get the benefit from BYU TV or Liberty TV. If anything, its a millstone, condemning our games to be broadcasted on networks that have zero exposure. You think the local sports bar is going to carry Liberty TV on its screens?

I wouldn't be surprised to see the Liberty Flames Sports Network get a deal with Sinclair Broadcasting.

LOL. That wouldn't surprise me either. But I'd remember that Sinclair's game is to PRETEND that they're not having an agenda. Many of their best media outlets are also network affiliates. They aren't pre-empting regular programming to run LU football. Maybe sub-channel 3 in certain markets. The multi-channels frequently aren't on local cable packages either (on Comcast yes - but are hard to find in a lineup - ATT U-verse doesn't carry sub-channel broadcast outlets at all in its packages)

If there is some sort of deal, it would probably be like a "Jefferson Pilot" deal where some, but not all Sinclair stations participate. Basically, it might take the form of LU simply paying for 3 hours of broadcasting so they can have their games carried.

And while I'm fully aware of what Sinclair is....they're not going to preempt network programming on a Saturday or Sunday (much less a weeknight) to show Sun Belt, CUSA, MAC, MWC, or Liberty football.

Sinclair will become a nationwide player with the planned acquisition of Tribune Media and its 42 TV stations, giving it a powerful platform.

“This is a transformational acquisition for Sinclair that will open up a myriad of opportunities for the company,” Sinclair Chief Executive Chris Ripley told investors."

Yep. Tribune's TV stations will give a better footprint for Sinclair's new sports network STADIUM. They'll be a player in next round of contracts for several G5 conferences....possibly even a bowl game again.
05-17-2017 07:18 AM
Liberty Fan Offline
Under The Radar

I Root For: Flames
(05-17-2017 07:18 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  

Yep. Tribune's TV stations will give a better footprint for Sinclair's new sports network STADIUM. They'll be a player in next round of contracts for several G5 conferences....possibly even a bowl game again.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news...r.amp.html
05-17-2017 07:35 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(05-16-2017 11:45 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I don't like LU, but they're going to win because they've got resources and the willingness to get down in the dirt for an advantage. You don't hire an ex-Baylor guy to run your program if you're going to keep things tidy.

Liberty could get scary good as they're willing to do the things that Tulane, Rice, and Tulsa simply will not.

03-lmfao All this Liberty hate is making me a fan tbh.
05-17-2017 08:05 AM
BullsFanInTX Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: USF
I think they'll be indy for a quite a while, and I don't think they really mind that. I know they tried like heck to get into Sun Belt, but that was only to get into FBS. Once they found out they could get in without a conference invite, I think they will want to stay there. They won't have any problems making a decent schedule every year, and I think they'll be able to get bowl tie ins also, so there's no huge incentive to join a conference at this time.
05-17-2017 09:08 AM
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
Liberty, with that $$$ train, has zero need for a conference. And if the spending continues unabated, I'm not sure it helps them get in a conference. They were basically rebuked by the SBC because they can outspend ANYONE in the G5. Why would cash strapped G5 schools want to be on an uneven playing field?

Conferences were/are basically made to help finances and scheduling.
(This post was last modified: 05-17-2017 09:14 AM by JMU2004.)
05-17-2017 09:13 AM
oliveandblue Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Tulane
(05-17-2017 08:05 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 11:45 PM)oliveandblue Wrote:  I don't like LU, but they're going to win because they've got resources and the willingness to get down in the dirt for an advantage. You don't hire an ex-Baylor guy to run your program if you're going to keep things tidy.

03-lmfao All this Liberty hate is making me a fan tbh.

Hate is too strong a word for me.

It's funny, because I really don't mind BYU whatsoever. I really should like LU, but perhaps for me its issues I have with Falwell.

I'll probably never see them play Tulane as my school is waaaay too far left to consider the thought.
05-17-2017 09:44 AM
MWC Tex Offline
Heisman

I Root For: MW
(05-17-2017 07:35 AM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  
(05-17-2017 07:18 AM)MWC Tex Wrote:  
(05-16-2017 12:55 PM)Liberty Fan Wrote:  I wouldn't be surprised to see the Liberty Flames Sports Network get a deal with Sinclair Broadcasting.

https://www.bizjournals.com/chicago/news...r.amp.html

I looked at a map of Sinclair's TV stations and Tribunes TV stations. Tribunes station fills in quite a few holes in the MW footprint. I think the MW may get a contract with STADIUM in a couple of years.
05-17-2017 11:43 AM
NIU007 Offline
Legend

I Root For: NIU, MAC
(05-16-2017 09:28 AM)Comet Wrote:  Maybe they can pray their way in.

LOL
05-21-2017 07:58 PM
chargeradio Offline
Vamos Morados

I Root For: ALA, KY, USA
(05-21-2017 09:09 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 12:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  there are Sunbelt teams who would accept a CUSA invite because it works better from them. For example---Texas St almost certainly would accept a CUSA invite.
True on TXST, but nobody else in the Belt would be interested.
I could see Georgia State taking an invite if Charlotte, UAB, and Middle Tennessee are still in C-USA, but these days it's not automatic a Belt school would move.
05-21-2017 09:13 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Attackcoog Offline

I Root For: Houston
(05-21-2017 09:13 PM)chargeradio Wrote:  
(05-14-2017 12:05 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  there are Sunbelt teams who would accept a CUSA invite because it works better from them. For example---Texas St almost certainly would accept a CUSA invite.
I could see Georgia State taking an invite if Charlotte, UAB, and Middle Tennessee are still in C-USA, but these days it's not automatic a Belt school would move.

AppSt might take the invite as well. Marshall, ODU, Charlotte would be good rivals. MTSU and WKU aren't far either. Frankly, I still say a cooperative reorganization would be best for all parties--- but that's not how it's probably going to play out.

Anyway--Texas St is the only one I'm pretty sure would jump.
(This post was last modified: 05-21-2017 09:42 PM by Attackcoog.)
05-21-2017 09:39 PM
southernwolf Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: Arkansas State

Well if Georgia State and Texas State are moving to CUSA, they need to do it now in order for the Sunbelt to bring back New Mexico State and Idaho for full membership. We ain't taking Liberty, and please quit mentioning the Sunbelt when the talk gets around to Liberty, we're not interested.
05-22-2017 02:33 PM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
(05-22-2017 08:22 PM)Native Georgian Wrote:  
(05-22-2017 02:33 PM)southernwolf Wrote:  Well if Georgia State and Texas State are moving to CUSA, they need to do it now in order for the Sunbelt to bring back New Mexico State and Idaho for full membership.
C-USA doesn't have any more to offer Georgia State than the Sun Belt. Probably less. So that's not going to happen. Texas State -- possibly. But there would have to be a vacancy (or 3) in C-USA first. And no other league wants the teams currently in C-USA. So that not going to happen either, at least not anytime soon.

If, somehow, it did happen? Well yeah NMSU would be available on an all-sports basis. But Idaho has said goodbye to FBS football. So if the Belt ever needs more than 1 expansion candidate, it will have to look elsewhere.

Quote:We ain't taking Liberty, and please quit mentioning the Sunbelt when the talk gets around to Liberty, we're not interested.
Easy to say that right now because the Belt isn't expanding for *Anybody*, right now. But if they ever need to expand, then yes Liberty will be at or near the very top of the list. $$$$ will dictate that decision-making process and Liberty will be very well-positioned for it. Not to say it's guaranteed. Few things are.

Based on the past expansion votes we can assume NMSU and EKU are head of Liberty on the Sun Belt's list.
05-22-2017 11:44 PM
SlyFox Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty
Any port in a storm certainly factors into the discussion, but the Belt certainly has lost its luster from Liberty's point of view based on the past few years of interactions. But I suspect by the time any of this discussion finally occurs, circumstances will be significiantly different than the last time around when hatred/jealousy kept us out. I would certainly embrace the possibility.
05-26-2017 11:31 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
Maybe this will get this back on topic but we are hosting Syracuse at LU in 2019 for the season opener.
05-26-2017 02:33 PM
ken d Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: college sports
(05-21-2017 09:39 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  

AppSt might take the invite as well. Marshall, ODU, Charlotte would be good rivals. MTSU and WKU aren't far either. Frankly, I still say a cooperative reorganization would be best for all parties--- but that's not how it's probably going to play out.

Anyway--Texas St is the only one I'm pretty sure would jump.

It certainly seems like some really nice rivalries could be created by a cooperative reorganization. But I doubt there is anything that could be done that would have any noticeable effect on per school revenues, so the usual incentive for realignment just isn't there.
05-26-2017 02:42 PM
Curtisc83 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Liberty U/Clemson
Here is the press release for Syracuse at LU in 2019.

http://www.liberty.edu/flames/index.cfm?...91&TeamID=
05-26-2017 02:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.