Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The Return of DePaul
Bookmark and Share
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Marquette, BE
The Return of DePaul
In the past several weeks, DePaul has hired Shane Heirman - LaLumiere's Head Coach - as an assistant coach, got a commitment from Tyger Campbell - a 5-star point guard - and have suddenly jumped into the lead for Brian Bowen - another 5-star recruit. With the new arena opening next year, and a sudden sense of new enthusiasm, excitement and interest for the program, the only thing left to say is...

DEPAUL IS COMING BACK!
05-11-2017 08:57 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

RE: The Return of DePaul
DePaul opens Wintrust Arena against Notre Dame (men's) and UConn (women's). Not a bad pair of opponents to open up a brand new facility...
05-16-2017 02:54 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I Root For: Sports
(05-16-2017 02:54 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  DePaul opens Wintrust Arena against Notre Dame (men's) and UConn (women's). Not a bad pair of opponents to open up a brand new facility...

not too shabby by any stretch. UConn's women are absolutely stacked next year and will have quite the attitude.
05-16-2017 02:56 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

so looking at the court, looks like DePaul stole the concept of Xavier I think with the city baseline on the sideline of the court.
11-11-2017 05:34 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

Was Xavier the first school to incorporate a city skyline? I thought Memphis had one a few years ago.
11-11-2017 11:32 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(11-11-2017 11:32 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  Was Xavier the first school to incorporate a city skyline? I thought Memphis had one a few years ago.

I don't remember quite frankly. But flicked over really fast and that's the only thing really noticeable looking quickly. Saw Notre Dame going on a run that looks like put the game away- but that's to be expected given the matchup- top third ACC team vs bottom tier Big East team.
11-12-2017 12:24 AM
Advertisement

Bogg Offline
All American

I Root For: UConn
DePaul might not be good, but Max Strus is. As long as he's healthy they'll be watchable this year and next.

Good job by DePaul of pulling a four-star point guard out of a hat after the Campbell decommit as well. Program's a work in progress, but if they can keep from being a tire fire in OOC play in the immediate future they'll be doing their job for the rest of the Big East.
01-02-2018 10:05 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

DePaul apparently landed a top-40 2019 commit today. Obviously an early verbal commit isn't the same thing as actually getting a kid enrolled, but that's a really nice get to kick off their recruiting class. Beat out Oregon and the usual B1G suspects.
05-22-2018 03:41 PM
jdgaucho Offline
All American

I Root For: UCSB
Brandon Cyrus is transferring to UC Santa Barbara.

https://twitter.com/BrandonCyrus4/status...99008?s=20
05-24-2018 03:52 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

DePaul grabbed a second top-100 commit for the 2019 class in Kansas decommit Markese Jacobs. Chicago kid who played AAU ball with another top-100 wing from the Chicago area who briefly committed to DePaul a few months ago before almost immediately reopening his recruiting. Already a very-good-for-DePaul class, but if Jacobs helps them get back with the guy who decommitted that class might be able to actually do something with the program.

Also, FWIW, they recently got a three-star shooting guard out of California.
10-08-2018 10:40 AM
stever20 Offline
Legend

(05-11-2017 08:57 AM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  In the past several weeks, DePaul has hired Shane Heirman - LaLumiere's Head Coach - as an assistant coach, got a commitment from Tyger Campbell - a 5-star point guard - and have suddenly jumped into the lead for Brian Bowen - another 5-star recruit. With the new arena opening next year, and a sudden sense of new enthusiasm, excitement and interest for the program, the only thing left to say is...

DEPAUL IS COMING BACK!

so DePaul wound up not getting Campbell who went to UCLA. He just tore his ACL though and is out for the season.....

Maybe things ARE looking up for DePaul....
10-10-2018 10:04 AM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

Uh, maybe they are really coming back... From Rothstein:
Saint Louis transfer Care'Are Gordon has committed to DePaul, per his Twitter page. Good get for Dave Leitao. Top-75 player.
01-15-2019 09:06 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

Happy for DePaul. Them improving and being competitive in the Big East would be great for the league.
01-16-2019 02:18 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

I really like what Leitao has done there. When they get 3 more wins, it'll be their most wins since 2007. Short term this year- they're going to kill the league as they won't have enough to make the tourney, but they're going to definitely cost some teams some bids. Seton Hall and St John's are a lot more in danger now because of them losing to DePaul. Butler tonight might find the same result.

but yeah, long term this is great for the league. Would be huge quite frankly if they could make the NIT and maybe get on a run there..... They're 10-5 and play 29 games. So If they could go like 8-6 and get to 18-11- they should make the NIT(their OOC isn't good enough to make the NCAA with that good record).
01-16-2019 02:41 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

Oh, and SLU has missed him some....

they're 4-0 without him...

Those 4 wins are against
Rhode Island #130
UMass #182
La Salle #267
Fordham #223

With a MOV of 20 in those 4 games. Their NET has dropped as a result from 60 to 67 in that period.
01-16-2019 02:47 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

DePaul's 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked No. 22 at ESPN.com, No. 24 by 247Sports.com and No. 28 in the nation by Rivals.com.
01-16-2019 04:16 PM
Advertisement

stever20 Offline
Legend

(01-16-2019 04:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  DePaul's 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked No. 22 at ESPN.com, No. 24 by 247Sports.com and No. 28 in the nation by Rivals.com.

so question. Have you changed your mind on Leitao now? I know you were pretty solid against him last March.

Amazing how much the DePaul/Loyola picture has changed in 10 months, isn't it?
01-16-2019 04:18 PM
GoldenWarrior11 Offline
Heisman

(01-16-2019 04:18 PM)stever20 Wrote:  
(01-16-2019 04:16 PM)GoldenWarrior11 Wrote:  DePaul's 2019 recruiting class is currently ranked No. 22 at ESPN.com, No. 24 by 247Sports.com and No. 28 in the nation by Rivals.com.

so question. Have you changed your mind on Leitao now? I know you were pretty solid against him last March.

Amazing how much the DePaul/Loyola picture has changed in 10 months, isn't it?

They are better positioned today than they were a year ago, no doubt. What's incredibly ironic is the examination of how DePaul Basketball rose to prominence in the 70's and 80's: a big part of that was Ray Meyer, the winning, the recruiting, etc.; however, it also coincided with the dismal results/product of the Chicago Bulls. DePaul was the hottest ticket in town. Today, DePaul is trending upwards, and the Bulls are driving away fans not only due to the awful product they present, but because of the stubbornness and greediness they show towards its fans. History has a way of repeating itself, so it will be interesting to observe for sure.

Loyola, right now, is getting higher in-person attendance than DePaul (the actual numbers show they are close, but the athletic department has shown to dramatically fudge their numbers, as shown by their amazing student newspaper). Their gear is plastered throughout the city in the form of sweatshirts, hats, scarves, etc. They are still the city's darling in college basketball, and will remain so for quite some time. Despite DePaul's pickup today, and 2-2 start in the Big East, they (IMO) are still behind perceptually Loyola. I would also argue that Loyola recruits Chicago better than DePaul, but as long as you win, it shouldn't matter where the players come from, right?

I hope DePaul does well. I hope Loyola can build on its success from March (I still think they are the favorites to win the MVC Tournament and get another bid). I have no personal ties to DePaul (or Loyola) but I do know many older DePaul alumni that have given up on the basketball program (all of it due to the athletic department). It is sad to see how far the program has fallen since moving to the Big East.

So, in a long-winded way, DePaul needs to ride this out for sure.
01-16-2019 05:02 PM
stever20 Offline
Legend

great point with the Bulls/DePaul. And what's interesting when you think about it- they had a mini-resurgence from 1999-2005, which coincided with the Bulls after Jordan period where they went:
13-37
17-65
15-67
21-61
30-52
23-59

I think what's happening in Houston probably gives DePaul some home. It'd be kind of cool to see DePaul back to where they used to be.
01-16-2019 05:30 PM
Bogg Offline
All American

(01-16-2019 02:41 PM)stever20 Wrote:  but yeah, long term this is great for the league. Would be huge quite frankly if they could make the NIT and maybe get on a run there..... They're 10-5 and play 29 games. So If they could go like 8-6 and get to 18-11- they should make the NIT(their OOC isn't good enough to make the NCAA with that good record).

Hell, if they can get to 15-14 I would support them letting their team play in the CBI. It's "beneath" a Big East program, but they'd have a good shot to win it and, well, it's DePaul. They're graded on a different curve.
01-16-2019 07:27 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.