Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Campus construction and projects
Bookmark and Share
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

I Root For: JMU
RE: Campus construction and projects
Since the new D Hall is opening will the food options at D Hub stay the same or will they be changing that to something other than all you can eat since I am assuming that is what the new D Hall will be.

Brian
07-31-2018 05:57 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

I Root For: the Dukes
(07-31-2018 05:57 PM)ParentofJMUMRDs Wrote:  Since the new D Hall is opening will the food options at D Hub stay the same or will they be changing that to something other than all you can eat since I am assuming that is what the new D Hall will be.

Brian

Dhub has been closed this summer while they modify it from an all-you-can eat into more station-based style like PC Dukes/Top Dog was. It'll reopen in August.

(07-31-2018 05:34 PM)Bawlmer Duke Wrote:  Dang! Didn't know about this one...glad these boards keep up with these happenings. Too lazy to look it up, so what is being built on this piece of land?

A replacement dining hall will go on the site of Phillips Hall. JMU has acknowledged that while Phillips Hall wasn't dilapidated to the point of replacement, it was best to go ahead and do it while the D-Hub temporary facility exists.
07-31-2018 08:08 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Deez

Thanks for the info. That is what I thought I had heard concerning D Hub.

Brian
07-31-2018 08:15 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Received a tip today on another JMU construction webcam. This one has the new residence hall on East Campus. Pretty robust cam with P-T-Z and time lapse from several angles. The land bridge angle isn't extremely helpful with all the trees in front of it, but maybe this winter you can watch the land bridge get built if you're bored.

http://www.jmu.edu/orl/housing/coming-soon.shtml
08-16-2018 01:07 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2018 01:07 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Received a tip today on another JMU construction webcam. This one has the new residence hall on East Campus. Pretty robust cam with P-T-Z and time lapse from several angles. The land bridge angle isn't extremely helpful with all the trees in front of it, but maybe this winter you can watch the land bridge get built if you're bored.

Thanks! I'm very pleased to see more on-campus residence halls being built/offered for/to students.
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 01:13 PM by Wear Purple.)
08-16-2018 01:12 PM
arlingtonduke Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: JMU DUkes
(08-16-2018 01:12 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(08-16-2018 01:07 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Received a tip today on another JMU construction webcam. This one has the new residence hall on East Campus. Pretty robust cam with P-T-Z and time lapse from several angles. The land bridge angle isn't extremely helpful with all the trees in front of it, but maybe this winter you can watch the land bridge get built if you're bored.

Thanks! I'm very pleased to see more on-campus residence halls being built/offered for/to students.

I am wondering when they are going to rebuild the Village Dorms? They were pretty old 20 years ago when we started at JMU.
08-16-2018 01:27 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

I Root For: The Dukes
(08-16-2018 01:27 PM)arlingtonduke Wrote:  

I am wondering when they are going to rebuild the Village Dorms? They were pretty old 20 years ago when we started at JMU.

If I remember the master plan correctly, they're next up as far as dorms are concerned. I believe they had talked about rotating the main thoroughfare in the village and starting on the old baseball field with a new dorm so they're not losing beds between tear down and rebuilding.
08-16-2018 01:35 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

Was walking/jogging through campus last night. Wondered how much longer the Village has. I could maybe see JMU building the second residence hall next to the one being constructed right now (as shown in the master plan), but beyond that I don't think there are many new residence hall sites to begin. Stands to reason the Village build would follow, but it's a mammoth price tag on prime land where existing buildings are cash cows. Gonna have to bite the bullet sometime.
08-16-2018 01:50 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
makes sense...there is nearly as much land behind the village (mauck and parking) as there is in the village...build out phase one, then demo the village ... let's just hope there is *some* bluestone / tile included
08-16-2018 02:04 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

Plus it's an opportunity to start decommissioning more brick buildings and replacing with bluestone. For people just coming to JMU for a football game, if they stick to the center of campus the only dorms they see are the ugliest on campus (IMO) between the lake area and village.
08-16-2018 02:05 PM
olddawg Online
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2018 01:27 PM)arlingtonduke Wrote:  

It's has been in the Master Plan for a while. Pretty big undertaking. Saw a rendering one time that showed them being bluestone clad w/ red tile roofs, but this video doesn't show that, but does show the concept (9:22 mark):
https://vimeo.com/64924965

Also, article showing that replacing the Village dorms is still in the plan:
https://www.breezejmu.org/news/board-of-...5e2d5.html

General drawing/map- 6 buildings accommodating 24-2800 students
http://www.harrisonburghousingtoday.com/...ex.php?f=1
08-16-2018 02:10 PM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

Deez

Thanks for the Dorm Cam link. They are really percolating on the new building. Any idea when it is supposed to open, next fall perhaps?

Brian
08-16-2018 02:28 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(08-16-2018 02:05 PM)jmufan2008 Wrote:  Plus it's an opportunity to start decommissioning more brick buildings and replacing with bluestone. For people just coming to JMU for a football game, if they stick to the center of campus the only dorms they see are the ugliest on campus (IMO) between the lake area and village.

I agree. I hope the entire lake area sans Showker is replaced in the near future. Those buildings are the ugliest on campus IMO. While I agree the village buildings must be in really bad shape (they were pretty bad when I was there 20 years ago), I'd hate to see them taken down and not replaced with a new village. I just always thought it was a cool part of campus. Maybe I'm just nostalgic over so many great times in there.
08-16-2018 05:12 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

A "dorm cam"? Who needs a stinkin dorm cam?

[Image: giphy.gif]
08-16-2018 07:36 PM
Deez Nuts Online
Moderator. Go Dukes!

2Buck why do you hate the Dukes so much lately? Grab a beer and come play.
08-16-2018 07:59 PM
jmufan2008 Offline
All American

Found the 2017 update to the 2008 master plan: https://www.jmu.edu/jmuplans/supporting-...202017.pdf
For anyone that's ever wanted to know about aaaaaaanything about campus, it's probably in there. Parking, traffic, steam lines, signage, sections of campus, how many beds are in each dorm, dining...even a 'plant palate'.

Excerpt about the need for updating the village:
"In meeting the on-campus student housing requirement (35%) preferred by the University,
several areas of campus were studied to add student housing.

Ultimately, because of its prime-central location, the decision was made to address the
existing Village Housing site as a new residential precinct with 6 new residence halls, that
would total approximately 2,800 beds. The construction of the 6 halls would be phased.
Because of the age and overwhelming inadequacy of the existing Village units, it made
both economic and functional sense to rebuild the Village.

To gain an additional 1000 beds needed to meet the 35% student on-campus housing
goal, a student housing precinct was selected on East Campus, just south of the University
Recreation Center. The 2 resident halls would be constructed in 2 phases. When
constructed, the phase 1 residence hall will provide needed swing space for the phased
demolition and new construction of the new Village units."

The look of the dorms was definitely different in the original 2008 plan - like olddawg said. Also interesting to note the east campus housing intentionally being built to be a swing area for the village dorm reconstruction. Also cool that the Phillips redo will DOUBLE the number of interior seats and include 200 exterior seats.
08-16-2018 08:05 PM
BleedingPurple Offline
Hall of Famer

Something I didn't understand when touring JMU with my 11th grade daughter last Spring, the Village is where they take possible students to showcase the JMU dorms. Very underwhelming and someone always ask, "are not these dorms coming down."
08-16-2018 09:54 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
I've seen a rendering of the inside of the new Phillips....a glassy and wood atrium of sorts...anyone seen the outside plans?

We need a visual theme badly on our campus....we can't afford bluestone everywhere, ,but gray split face can fake it nicely....still we seem to go blonde brick, and the red brick still pops up...I don't get that. The hotel is a great blend....and then centara park goes with a GREEN standing seam roof? That relates to nothing....Spanish tile color would have been tons better (and would look nice here and there on CSAT campus)
(This post was last modified: 08-16-2018 10:49 PM by bcp_jmu.)
08-16-2018 10:48 PM
2Buck Offline
All American

(08-16-2018 07:59 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  2Buck why do you hate the Dukes so much lately? Grab a beer and come play.

Love the Dukes bro, want nothing but the best for them.
08-17-2018 09:44 AM
Longhorn Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-16-2018 01:50 PM)Deez Nuts Wrote:  Was walking/jogging through campus last night. Wondered how much longer the Village has. I could maybe see JMU building the second residence hall next to the one being constructed right now (as shown in the master plan), but beyond that I don't think there are many new residence hall sites to begin. Stands to reason the Village build would follow, but it's a mammoth price tag on prime land where existing buildings are cash cows. Gonna have to bite the bullet sometime.

I think this is correct. The new dorm (and perhaps it pairing match) must be built and available before the Village area can begin it's rebuild. JMU (for the past 20+ years) has been involved in a near constant "build a swing-space, relocate, tear-down/renovate/build new, move back from the swing-space into the new facility, wash, rinse and repeat." It's been exhausting, but what is emerging is an even more beautiful and functional campus serving 25k+ students, faculty and staff. All alums should be very proud of their degrees. If JMU was a stock, it's a blue-chip buy.

The Village (and portions of the old ballpark) will undergo a dramatic transformation starting in the next few years, but it's a big project that will take multiple years to complete. I can't forecast whether the "new" Village that triples (quadruples?) capacity of the old Village will be the last tear-down/renovation/addition to the inventory of on-campus dorm space, but I think it will be approaching the final phase.

Outside of completing the new COB project, Carrier Library is due a major expansion, and there's a major new Health discipline building planned (to sit next to the recent building opened on MLK Way). There's also some major projects on front campus (at the intersection of Main and Grace) that may require significant private fundraising (in particular a museum built on the footprint of Anthony-Seeger). All-in-all, there's enough construction to keep things hopping for the next decade, but I think enrollment growth will soon plateau and the fevered pace of construction will abate.
08-17-2018 10:10 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.