Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Thread Closed 
MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
Tigersmoke3 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: Memphis
RE: MVC to hold emergency meeting on Sunday in Saint Louis (Rothstein)
I wonder how long into the summer we'll get until Gonzaga announces 03-shhhh
04-04-2017 07:46 PM
Find all posts by this user
MissouriStateBears Offline
All American

I Root For: Missouri State
(04-04-2017 07:09 PM)Chuck_A Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 04:46 PM)MissouriStateBears Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 04:42 PM)Fighting Muskie Wrote:  Who do they replace with?

[Image: i?img=%2Fi%2Fteamlogos%2Fncaa%2F500%2F82.png]

You didn't answer my question in a previous thread when you said a "source" says it's UIC. I asked how credible is this source and has the source been correct before? I ask because you haven't wavered.

Fairly solid.
04-04-2017 07:49 PM
gosports1 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: providence
better way to say it is "Wichita state is joining AAC as full member. Then get into the details about not offering FB. Afterall they will(would?) be a full member in all sports they and the conference sponsor

As far as soda/pop/soft drinks, around here people ask for a cola or lemon/lime drink by brand name (coke/pepsi, sprite/7up) but usually ask for other flavors by generic name (orange, root beer ginger ale) exception Dr pepper
04-04-2017 08:39 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Reds/Buckeyes/.
(04-04-2017 05:11 PM)chess Wrote:  Illinois State should consider asking the MAC to expand.
They can ask, but there's no particular reason for the MAC to extend the invitation if they are the #13 school.

If a compelling #13 was out there looking to join the MAC, it seems like the MAC could have moved already, with an invite to JMU as #14.

(04-04-2017 04:29 PM)Attackcoog Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 04:28 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 04:26 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Basketball only means all sports but football.

Yes. It personally annoys me because it's an inaccurate term on its face, but that's what people generally mean to be a "basketball-only" school.

Yup. Its like people asking for a "Coke" when they really are asking for a soft drink.
Count me in the "Olympic-sports" camp.

I am not much annoyed by it, because those kinds of things don't bother me much, but it's even worse than asking for a "Coke" when you mean some other soft drink (particularly common in the Greater Atlanta area) ...

... because you can actually have a Coke, but basketball is literally the only Division I sport where you can't be a member "only" for that sport ... under NCAA rules, there are no DivI affiliate memberships for Basketball. You have to play M&W basketball in your multi-sports conference.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 08:53 PM by BruceMcF.)
04-04-2017 08:48 PM
C2__ Offline
Caltex2

I Root For: Houston, PVAMU
(04-04-2017 04:33 PM)Wedge Wrote:  It's more like saying "steak only" when someone really means a dinner with an appetizer, a salad, a steak, spinach, mashed potatoes, a glass of wine, and a dessert with a cup of coffee. 07-coffee3

After all these years, the Internet is still rife with grammar Nazi's and those who insist on proper syntax. Not that I don't see your point.
04-04-2017 08:59 PM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(04-04-2017 04:26 PM)MWC Tex Wrote:  Basketball only means all sports but football.

Yes. It personally annoys me because it's an inaccurate term on its face, but that's what people generally mean to be a "basketball-only" school.

Yup. Its like people asking for a "Coke" when they really are asking for a soft drink.
so how do you ask for something other than coke? I know what you're talking about. I'm from the south but that has always irked me. I ask for exactly the brand name that I want when I'm out someplace. If I'm a guest at someone's house I usually ask if they have anything I can drink.

Sent from my SM-J700T using CSNbbs mobile app
04-04-2017 09:22 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 09:22 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  so how do you ask for something other than coke?
AFAIR, in a restaurant, after you say you want a Coke, the waitress asks what kind of Coke you want. That's when you say, "Dr. Pepper", or whatever.

But if you think you are inside of "Coke = soda = pop" territory, but you are out in "Coke = main product of NYSE:KO" territory, you'll just get a Coke. After drinking proper Coke with cane sugar in Beijing, that's a disappointment, so I don't bother trying to "talk native" and go ahead and order what I want.
(This post was last modified: 04-04-2017 10:01 PM by BruceMcF.)
04-04-2017 09:56 PM
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
I always ask what sodas or soft drinks places have. This confused people in Cleveland at first but not so much nowadays. I still have fun making fun of people saying pop around here (grow up Cleveland you sound like little kids!) especially since most of the national brands say soda on them.
04-04-2017 10:07 PM
BruceMcF Offline
Hall of Famer

(04-04-2017 10:07 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  I always ask what sodas or soft drinks places have. This confused people in Cleveland at first but not so much nowadays. I still have fun making fun of people saying pop around here (grow up Cleveland you sound like little kids!) especially since most of the national brands say soda on them.
Yeah, they sure do talk funny up at the Mistake on the Lake.

But hell, everybody talks funny these days. Why back in the day theys was all called sodie-pop, and we liked it. Not only was you kids too lazy to keep using the proper name, you couldn't even agree on which half to use!

And another thing, about these namby-pamby "roughing the passer" rules ... {continues} ... and I put an onion on my belt ... {continues} ...
04-04-2017 10:25 PM
IWokeUpLikeThis Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NIU, Chicago St
(04-04-2017 04:50 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

[Image: 4y0OShg.jpg]
It's a package deal. The emergency meeting will also pinkslip Doug Elgin and name Arkansas Tech's realignment expert as his replacement.
04-04-2017 10:40 PM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(04-04-2017 10:40 PM)IWokeUpLikeThis Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 04:50 PM)Kaplony Wrote:  

[Image: 4y0OShg.jpg]
It's a package deal. The emergency meeting will also pinkslip Doug Elgin and name Arkansas Tech's realignment expert as his replacement.

Love getting the recognition, but I'm happy to remain D2 where we have a real chance for national titles.
04-04-2017 11:40 PM
Frank the Tank Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Illinois/DePaul
(04-04-2017 10:25 PM)BruceMcF Wrote:  
(04-04-2017 10:07 PM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  I always ask what sodas or soft drinks places have. This confused people in Cleveland at first but not so much nowadays. I still have fun making fun of people saying pop around here (grow up Cleveland you sound like little kids!) especially since most of the national brands say soda on them.

But hell, everybody talks funny these days. Why back in the day theys was all called sodie-pop, and we liked it. Not only was you kids too lazy to keep using the proper name, you couldn't even agree on which half to use!

And another thing, about these namby-pamby "roughing the passer" rules ... {continues} ... and I put an onion on my belt ... {continues} ...

Chicago is generally "pop" territory, while downstate Illinois gets into "soda" territory. It's interesting because I believe that the urban vs. rural usage of pop and soda is reversed in some other places like the Northeastern states (where the urban areas use soda more and the rural areas use pop more).
04-04-2017 11:53 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user
Sultan of Euphonistan Offline
All American

I Root For: Baritones
(04-04-2017 11:53 PM)Frank the Tank Wrote:  

Chicago is generally "pop" territory, while downstate Illinois gets into "soda" territory. It's interesting because I believe that the urban vs. rural usage of pop and soda is reversed in some other places like the Northeastern states (where the urban areas use soda more and the rural areas use pop more).

In NY the divide is essentially Rochester east of that is soda and west of that is pop generally.
04-05-2017 12:30 AM
arkstfan Away
Sorry folks

I Root For: Fresh Starts
If the MVC wanted my advice (apparently don't because they never call)
My first run would be going to 12.
I'd shoot for Texas-Arlington (scratches the itch for people liking markets, it's the 5th largest) plus Little Rock (slightly larger market than Tulsa, bridges UTA and MoSt, not a hub but has direct flights to Dallas and St. Louis, reasonable bus trip for non-revenue sports for most of the Valley) and Valparaiso just under 75 miles from Chicago O'Hare, helps keep the Public/Private balance in shape and one of the better known mid-major brands.
04-05-2017 08:23 AM
dayooper Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan

You mean a pop?
04-05-2017 08:39 AM
dayooper Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Michigan

I can usually tell when someone isn't a native Michigander/ Midwesterner because they use soda instead of pop. Then there's da UP. They have a language all their own.
04-05-2017 08:44 AM
Hood-rich Offline
Smarter Than the Average Lib

I Root For: ECU & CSU
(04-04-2017 09:22 PM)Hood-rich Wrote:  so how do you ask for something other than coke?
AFAIR, in a restaurant, after you say you want a Coke, the waitress asks what kind of Coke you want. That's when you say, "Dr. Pepper", or whatever.
[/quote]

That's not really the case and I've lived in NC for 29 out of 38 years. If you ask for Coke you normally get the following question, if any. "Is Pepsi OK?" Otherwise you get a literal Coke. Based on my experience that's more something (Coke = general name for soda) you'd see in hole in the wall restaurant OR at an individuals house.
04-05-2017 08:54 AM
Chuck_A Offline
2nd String

I Root For: UIC/Missouri Valley
It's amazing to me how a topic just disintegrates into banal idiocy!
04-05-2017 09:04 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-05-2017 12:30 AM)Sultan of Euphonistan Wrote:  

In NY the divide is essentially Rochester east of that is soda and west of that is pop generally.

Well if you go south of the Ohio River its Coke country (or soft drink). And woe to the server who brings you a Pepsi when you asked for a Coke. Most know to warn you they don't have Coke products.
04-05-2017 09:19 AM
bullet Offline
Legend

I Root For: Texas, UK, UGA
(04-05-2017 08:54 AM)Hood-rich Wrote:  

That's not really the case and I've lived in NC for 29 out of 38 years. If you ask for Coke you normally get the following question, if any. "Is Pepsi OK?" Otherwise you get a literal Coke. Based on my experience that's more something (Coke = general name for soda) you'd see in hole in the wall restaurant OR at an individuals house.
[/quote]

Well that's because most restaurants and hotels have exclusive contracts with either Coke or Pepsi. Its unusual to have both. Now Dr. Pepper is often distributed by Coke or Pepsi distributors so you might get DP with one or the other. In Atlanta, some restaurants go to the grocery store and have a stock of Cokes in the back even if they are Pepsi houses. Atlanta is the home of Coca-Cola. They don't want to offend a good number of their patrons who work there.
04-05-2017 09:22 AM
Thread Closed 

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.