Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Unofficial 2017/18 Off Season MBB's Thread
Bookmark and Share
KPJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: EMU
RE: Unofficial 2017/18 Off Season MBB's Thread
People also seem to forget that the year they played a tough OOC schedule with Cleveland State, UT Arlington, and all those other teams... EMU walked through everyone, but nationally ranked UMass and that was a close game. So you take that and wins over Purdue and Michigan on Murphy's resume... And you get a scenario where success works against you and teams don't want to play you.
03-21-2017 07:59 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
emu steve Offline
Legend

I Root For: EMU / MAC
(03-21-2017 07:59 AM)KPJ Wrote:  People also seem to forget that the year they played a tough OOC schedule with Cleveland State, UT Arlington, and all those other teams... EMU walked through everyone, but nationally ranked UMass and that was a close game. So you take that and wins over Purdue and Michigan on Murphy's resume... And you get a scenario where success works against you and teams don't want to play you.

Yes, and this is not new. Case study:

I was at the Wisconsin game at Bowen in Dec. 1994.

After the game I congratulated AD Tim Weiser on the court and he told me we'd never see another Big Ten team on this court again.

Few power conference coaches would walk into Bowen to face a good EMU team and risk getting ambushed. Coaches aren't stupid. They are very smart. They avoid unnecessary risk where there is little payoff.
03-21-2017 08:08 AM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2017 07:59 AM)KPJ Wrote:  People also seem to forget that the year they played a tough OOC schedule with Cleveland State, UT Arlington, and all those other teams... EMU walked through everyone, but nationally ranked UMass and that was a close game. So you take that and wins over Purdue and Michigan on Murphy's resume... And you get a scenario where success works against you and teams don't want to play you.

And the only reason we got a solid A10 program like UMass to comer here was because of their football affiliation at the time. It's a shame that those bridges were burned.
03-21-2017 08:31 AM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2017 08:08 AM)emu steve Wrote:  

Yes, and this is not new. Case study:

I was at the Wisconsin game at Bowen in Dec. 1994.

After the game I congratulated AD Tim Weiser on the court and he told me we'd never see another Big Ten team on this court again.

Few power conference coaches would walk into Bowen to face a good EMU team and risk getting ambushed. Coaches aren't stupid. They are very smart. They avoid unnecessary risk where there is little payoff.

Exactly, there is very little to gain in prestige by beating EMU at home but at the same time it looks extremely awful to recruits when you lose against EMU like teams. That is why you don't see these games being scheduled - I think money is a secondary issue here to be honest.
03-21-2017 08:38 AM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

I see no reason why low cost home and home games can't be set up with Youngstown, Cleveland St, IPUPFW, etc. There are a ton of non- MAC mid majors within 5 hrs of Ypsi.
03-21-2017 08:44 AM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2017 08:44 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  I see no reason why low cost home and home games can't be set up with Youngstown, Cleveland St, IPUPFW, etc. There are a ton of non- MAC mid majors within 5 hrs of Ypsi.

Because these teams do not want to travel to EMU and get paid minimal money for it.

Would you rather get your butt handed to you by EMU for 20K or Ohio State for 100K?

Why don't you guys get it?
03-21-2017 08:48 AM
TheWoodenNickle Online
Heisman

(03-21-2017 08:48 AM)realistEagle Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 08:44 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  I see no reason why low cost home and home games can't be set up with Youngstown, Cleveland St, IPUPFW, etc. There are a ton of non- MAC mid majors within 5 hrs of Ypsi.

Because these teams do not want to travel to EMU and get paid minimal money for it.

Would you rather get your butt handed to you by EMU for 20K or Ohio State for 100K?

But in return they get a low cost opponent for a home game. You're not going to reel in B1G opponents for got home games.

Play a few roadies for big money then play a bunch of other mid majors. Better than playing all the NAIA schools.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 08:58 AM by TheWoodenNickle.)
03-21-2017 08:57 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

Only if they are home and home.

That makes sense, but I think, believe it or not, coaches avoid them.
03-21-2017 09:00 AM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2017 08:57 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

But in return they get a low cost opponent for a home game. You're not going to reel in B1G opponents for got home games.

Play a few roadies for big money then play a bunch of other mid majors. Better than playing all the NAIA schools.

I get what you are saying but I think that most AD folks don't think that way. They would rather have a 20+ win season while beating some NAIA schools at home than having a 15 win season losing to whole bunch of local mid majors. Have fun explaining that to recruits who most likely have offers from the schools you just lost to.

It comes down to the fact that EMU under Murphy was never an easy win for a similar caliber mid-major teams. I think that is also why they struggled to get those home and home deals with other schools. AND people in general like to take shortcuts when climbing to the top. Most folks don't ask how you got to the 20 wins, they just look at the record. Look at Syracuse's schedule - most OOC scheduling is filled with cupcakes such as EMU - that is done for a reason.
03-21-2017 09:11 AM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-21-2017 09:11 AM)realistEagle Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 08:57 AM)TheWoodenNickle Wrote:  

I get what you are saying but I think that most AD folks don't think that way. They would rather have a 20+ win season while beating some NAIA schools at home than having a 15 win season losing to whole bunch of local mid majors. Have fun explaining that to recruits who most likely have offers from the schools you just lost to.

It comes down to the fact that EMU under Murphy was never an easy win for a similar caliber mid-major teams. I think that is also why they struggled to get those home and home deals with other schools. AND people in general like to take shortcuts when climbing to the top. Most folks don't ask how you got to the 20 wins, they just look at the record. Look at Syracuse's schedule - most OOC scheduling is filled with cupcakes such as EMU - that is done for a reason.

I talked with an unnamed coach and asked him about 'guarantee games'. He suggested low major or some mid-majors (not big name mid-majors) would cost 50 - 75K.

That is why they don't happen. The cost/benefit is not favorable for us.

As was suggested, we can go on the road and get 100K so it makes more sense to go on the road and get 100K (and a loss) rather than pay 50 - 75K for a probable win against a no-name opponent.

That said, it would be nice to have more home and home series as each one eliminates the need for a non-D-I filler game.

BUT, BUT, BUT remember, while home and home sounds sweet to us they don't sound sweet to those working on budgets.

How much gate revenue would we get from a home game with say Cleveland State? Our home game revenues are very small. It's not like we would bring in 50K or even 25K. How much revenue is there in a crowd of much less than 1K.
03-21-2017 09:34 AM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

Has there been any confirmation on the status of White and Brown? Would be dissapointed they are gone regardless of reason.
03-21-2017 11:28 AM
realistEagle Offline
Special Teams

(03-21-2017 11:28 AM)RamyEMU Wrote:  Has there been any confirmation on the status of White and Brown? Would be dissapointed they are gone regardless of reason.

I heard they were fired. No idea why and if it was Murphy's or someone else's decision. I am shocked to be honest. Wonder why they were let go and not let's say Mondro? It seemed to me that Brown and Murphy were inseparable. Very strange situation, I would love to find out what actually happened.
03-21-2017 11:53 AM
FrankAnderson Offline
All American

I have absolutely nothing to go on, but if I had to guess, I would say Murphy wanted to prove to the department he wanted changes so badly (so that he keeps his job) that he even fired his friend (Brown) and White too.
03-21-2017 12:00 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-21-2017 12:00 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  I have absolutely nothing to go on, but if I had to guess, I would say Murphy wanted to prove to the department he wanted changes so badly (so that he keeps his job) that he even fired his friend (Brown) and White too.

I disagree. This has the finger prints of the AD's office on it.

I don't know the interactions of Heather and Christian in their oversight of MBB so I wouldn't say it was either or both, but at minimum Heather had to agree and carry it out.
03-21-2017 01:04 PM
RamyEMU Offline
All American

(03-21-2017 01:04 PM)emu steve Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 12:00 PM)FrankAnderson Wrote:  I have absolutely nothing to go on, but if I had to guess, I would say Murphy wanted to prove to the department he wanted changes so badly (so that he keeps his job) that he even fired his friend (Brown) and White too.

I don't know the interactions of Heather and Christian in their oversight of MBB so I wouldn't say it was either or both, but at minimum Heather had to agree and carry it out.

I agree with both of you guys simultaneously. I could see the ADs coming down hard on Murphy and demanding changes. And Murphy turning around and saying he is willing to make changes.

I think in the end, we all thought changes were needed. Brown and White got scapegoated by the process rather than by the coach or AD. At least this is my hunch.
03-21-2017 03:21 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-21-2017 03:21 PM)RamyEMU Wrote:  

I agree with both of you guys simultaneously. I could see the ADs coming down hard on Murphy and demanding changes. And Murphy turning around and saying he is willing to make changes.

I think in the end, we all thought changes were needed. Brown and White got scapegoated by the process rather than by the coach or AD. At least this is my hunch.

I'm not sure I'd use the term 'scapegoated' but after last season, it would seem reasonable that not all personnel, from HC to ass't coaches would be held blameless.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is how the assistant coaches were assessed? coaching? recruiting? relating?

Looking forward, this does affect recruiting as Brown and White were out front recruiting wise.

I'm curious who recruited/recruiting Epps?

Going back to some posts with EagleSam, I believe, assuming Epps stays committed, that we have only one scholarship to give. Therefore there isn't much 2017 recruiting left to do.
03-21-2017 03:37 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

(03-21-2017 03:37 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

I'm not sure I'd use the term 'scapegoated' but after last season, it would seem reasonable that not all personnel, from HC to ass't coaches would be held blameless.

The bigger question, in my opinion, is how the assistant coaches were assessed? coaching? recruiting? relating?

Looking forward, this does affect recruiting as Brown and White were out front recruiting wise.

Going back to some posts with EagleSam, I believe, assuming Epps stays committed, that we have only one scholarship to give. Therefore there isn't much 2017 recruiting left to do.

Yep, but I can't imagine everyone from our roster returning. I wouldn't be shocked if either LWH or Madray transferred to play their final season elsewhere, since front court minutes will be at a premium with Minnie becoming eligible.

I bet we end up with 2 scholarships to use that will go to Malik Ellison and a JUCO shooting guard.

EDIT: And if that scenario ends up being the case, this will be Murphy's largest incoming freshmen class in his tenure. Silver, Epps, Ellison, and (technically) Groce. The future would be pretty bright.
(This post was last modified: 03-21-2017 03:48 PM by EagleSam.)
03-21-2017 03:45 PM
emu79 Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: emu
Unless perhaps the AD were aware of internal conflicts between coaches or players and coaches or some compliance issue again sheer speculation interesting to see how Murphy fits the spots any idea of possible names?
03-21-2017 03:45 PM
emu steve Offline
Legend

(03-21-2017 03:45 PM)EagleSam Wrote:  
(03-21-2017 03:37 PM)emu steve Wrote:  

Yep, but I can't imagine everyone from our roster returning. I wouldn't be shocked if either LWH or Madray transferred to play their final season elsewhere, since front court minutes will be at a premium with Minnie becoming eligible.

I bet we end up with 2 scholarships to use that will go to Malik Ellison and a JUCO shooting guard.

EDIT: And if that scenario ends up being the case, this will be Murphy's largest incoming freshmen class in his tenure. Silver, Epps, Ellison, and (technically) Groce. The future would be pretty bright.

As far as Madray and LWH.

I assume there is a good chance that Madray will graduate this year and could be a graduate eligible.

That said, Madray did not have a good season (vis-a-vis what he did at Binghamton) and I wonder how much D-I interest he'd get.
03-21-2017 04:47 PM
EagleSam Offline
Heisman

Jodan Price and Kellen McCormick didn't set the world on fire in the MAC either, and they ended up at Georgia Tech. If Madray was to grad transfer, he'd find a home quickly. Coaches would rather take on a 1-year rental big man that already has a developed body, even if he rides the bench.
03-21-2017 04:53 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.