Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Gonzaga Possible Future Looking For A New Conference
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: Gonzaga Possible Future Looking For A New Conference
(03-22-2017 06:26 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  BYU going to the WAC might actually draw interests from other D1 schools from the Summit, MVC, Southland to come on board. Maybe some strong D2 schools as well. Would Colorado Mesa be interested in joining the WAC to play BYU? They used to be conference mates before.

I've never heard of Colorado Mesa. What conference, and what years was Colorado mesa and BYU together?
03-23-2017 10:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
dbackjon Online
Hall of Famer

I Root For: NAU/Illini
(03-23-2017 10:38 AM)billybobby777 Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 06:26 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  BYU going to the WAC might actually draw interests from other D1 schools from the Summit, MVC, Southland to come on board. Maybe some strong D2 schools as well. Would Colorado Mesa be interested in joining the WAC to play BYU? They used to be conference mates before.

I've never heard of Colorado Mesa. What conference, and what years was Colorado mesa and BYU together?

It is DavidSt.

Colorado Mesa used to be called Mesa St. College. While BYU used to be a member of the RMAC, they left that in 1925, while Mesa State didn't join until the 1970's. So no, they have never been in a conference together.
03-23-2017 12:09 PM
Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(03-22-2017 04:18 PM)YNot Wrote:  You would have to convince SDSU, UNLV, and Hawaii of the virtues of football independence - more P5 games, avoid the G5 label, and the potential for more TV money. With BYU in the mix, you would have the basis for late season independent football scheduling and a bowl alliance.

UNLV football ≠ BYU football. ESPN wouldn't give UNLV a contract to broadcast their FB games as an indy.

SDSU football is on the brink of having no stadium in which to play. They already have their hands full with that problem and aren't going to pursue anything as time-consuming as football independence.

Hawai'i thinks they are better off with the four guaranteed home games each year they get from being in a conference. They are probably right about that. Other programs think that going to Hawai'i is a long and costly trip compared to other non-conference trips they could easily schedule.

IMO the more promising candidates for football independence, if they are ever interested, are all east of BYU.
03-23-2017 12:44 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-23-2017 12:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  
(03-22-2017 04:18 PM)YNot Wrote:  You would have to convince SDSU, UNLV, and Hawaii of the virtues of football independence - more P5 games, avoid the G5 label, and the potential for more TV money. With BYU in the mix, you would have the basis for late season independent football scheduling and a bowl alliance.

UNLV football ≠ BYU football. ESPN wouldn't give UNLV a contract to broadcast their FB games as an indy.

SDSU football is on the brink of having no stadium in which to play. They already have their hands full with that problem and aren't going to pursue anything as time-consuming as football independence.

Hawai'i thinks they are better off with the four guaranteed home games each year they get from being in a conference. They are probably right about that. Other programs think that going to Hawai'i is a long and costly trip compared to other non-conference trips they could easily schedule.

IMO the more promising candidates for football independence, if they are ever interested, are all east of BYU.

This is just internet board musings, based on the premise that there is a new western Power basketball conference to be had with certain moves, so bear with me.

BYU would agree to play all three annually (Hawaii, SDSU, and UNLV) if they were football independents. The three would also play each other. So, there are three late-season games.

The three would also likely choose to play NMSU annually and would have UMass and Liberty as other independent options. Army already schedules Hawaii occasionally, and would likely have SDSU and UNLV on the radar. So, there are likely 5 to 6 annual late-season games to be had.

All three can likely get at least 4 early season games, including 2 home games, and an annual FCS opponent. They already do this. All three generally host a P5 opponent in September annually (mostly PAC schools).

With the Hawaii exemption, they can take advantage of the expanded week 0 schedule opportunities, and with more independent teams, CCG weekend is an option for games amongst themselves. This provides more flexibility to fill the remaining one or two games as part of an independent schedule.

Hawaii already has its own TV deal. SDSU and UNLV could likely match, and even improve upon, their paltry MWC payouts simply by selling their P5 and BYU home game rights individually. And, the media rights and NCAA tournament credits as part of a true Power basketball conference would probably net more payout than the status quo.

It could happen, dang it!
03-23-2017 01:10 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
(03-23-2017 01:10 PM)YNot Wrote:  
(03-23-2017 12:44 PM)Wedge Wrote:  

This is just internet board musings, based on the premise that there is a new western Power basketball conference to be had with certain moves, so bear with me.

BYU would agree to play all three annually (Hawaii, SDSU, and UNLV) if they were football independents. The three would also play each other. So, there are three late-season games.

The three would also likely choose to play NMSU annually and would have UMass and Liberty as other independent options. Army already schedules Hawaii occasionally, and would likely have SDSU and UNLV on the radar. So, there are likely 5 to 6 annual late-season games to be had.

All three can likely get at least 4 early season games, including 2 home games, and an annual FCS opponent. They already do this. All three generally host a P5 opponent in September annually (mostly PAC schools).

With the Hawaii exemption, they can take advantage of the expanded week 0 schedule opportunities, and with more independent teams, CCG weekend is an option for games amongst themselves. This provides more flexibility to fill the remaining one or two games as part of an independent schedule.

Hawaii already has its own TV deal. SDSU and UNLV could likely match, and even improve upon, their paltry MWC payouts simply by selling their P5 and BYU home game rights individually. And, the media rights and NCAA tournament credits as part of a true Power basketball conference would probably net more payout than the status quo.

It could happen, dang it!

Just join the AAC, dang it! The AAC is the one conference that wants you! Big 12 doesn't, too much bad blood with the MWC...AAC = fresh start.
03-23-2017 01:24 PM
YNot Offline
All American

I Root For: BYU
(03-23-2017 01:24 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  Just join the AAC, dang it! The AAC is the one conference that wants you! Big 12 doesn't, too much bad blood with the MWC...AAC = fresh start.

I would get Tom Holmoe on the phone right now if there was an actual plan to have BYU join Gonzaga, Wichita St., SDSU, Boise St., and Air Force in the AAC for basketball, and yes, even for football.
03-23-2017 01:36 PM
CitrusUCF Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UCF/Tulsa
Guys, none of the WCC schools are going to leave a conference that is compact with a couple of exceptions and made up of like-minded schools unless it is for a legit power conference. Nor are there going to be any airport meetings to create some West Coast version of the Big East...there aren't any (power) schools available to make that work. Denver and Seattle, while good institutional fits in such a thing, are not basketball powerhouses. If they were, maybe you'd have something where you could get Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, USF, etc. to do that, but there is just no money behind creating that conference as is.

Maybe the MWC can make a compelling case to get Gonzaga on the belief that Gonzaga would bolster the MWC enough to return to multi-bid status, but that more or less requires UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico to get their act together. The committee isn't going to take a conference led by Colorado State and Boise State real seriously, just because they're not traditional powers. The MWC desperately needs its traditional basketball powers to lead. Gonzaga might help that, but Gonzaga can't count on that, so it's going to require the MWC's TV partners to step up and for Gonzaga to be convinced that the MWC can do better than the 3 bids that WCC has gotten before.
03-23-2017 01:39 PM
RutgersGuy Offline
All American

I Root For: Rutgers
(03-23-2017 01:39 PM)CitrusUCF Wrote:  Guys, none of the WCC schools are going to leave a conference that is compact with a couple of exceptions and made up of like-minded schools unless it is for a legit power conference. Nor are there going to be any airport meetings to create some West Coast version of the Big East...there aren't any (power) schools available to make that work. Denver and Seattle, while good institutional fits in such a thing, are not basketball powerhouses. If they were, maybe you'd have something where you could get Gonzaga, St. Mary's, BYU, USF, etc. to do that, but there is just no money behind creating that conference as is.

Maybe the MWC can make a compelling case to get Gonzaga on the belief that Gonzaga would bolster the MWC enough to return to multi-bid status, but that more or less requires UNLV, SDSU, and New Mexico to get their act together. The committee isn't going to take a conference led by Colorado State and Boise State real seriously, just because they're not traditional powers. The MWC desperately needs its traditional basketball powers to lead. Gonzaga might help that, but Gonzaga can't count on that, so it's going to require the MWC's TV partners to step up and for Gonzaga to be convinced that the MWC can do better than the 3 bids that WCC has gotten before.

More money in it then sitting in their current conferences. Also you don't know until you do it. The OG Big East wasn;t supposed to work either. Hell the new Big East wasn't supposed to work either.
03-23-2017 02:01 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.