Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

The wrestling championship
Erictelevision Offline
All American

I Root For: Uconn hoops
The wrestling championship
Does each conference crown a champion in each weight class? Could the NCAA championship reasonably be those guys in a bracket tournament?
03-16-2017 07:11 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army
RE: The wrestling championship
(03-16-2017 07:11 PM)Erictelevision Wrote:  Does each conference crown a champion in each weight class? Could the NCAA championship reasonably be those guys in a bracket tournament?

Yes. Each conference has a champion at 10 weight classes. There's not that many conferences as they are down to about 80 Division 1 schools with wrestling. All 14 Big 10 schools have wrestling. The PAC, Big 12, ACC and MAC sponser wrestling. 33 guys per weight Class go to the tournament. 10, 32 man brackets with one "pig tail" match. I'm watching it on ESPN right now. Penn St is killing it. I wish ECU would get wrestling going.
Cheers!
03-16-2017 08:06 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
It's too bad they don't do a true dual meet format for a team championship.

I think it's bogus that they award a "team championship" when you don't even contest the sport in its normal team format.
03-16-2017 08:39 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Thanks billy! I forgot that wrestling is relatively under competed at the NCAA level.
03-16-2017 08:40 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Cornell (school I was curious about) has a team there, currently in 8th.
03-16-2017 08:44 PM
Advertisement

dxdtdemon Offline
Bench Warmer

I Root For: OSU, Wright St.
When looking up the NCAA wrestling membership, there were links to a list of all the schools that have dropped wrestling, but all the links were broken. Does anyone happen to have the list?
03-16-2017 09:32 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: PSU, Cincinnati
There are 8 wrestling conferences.

(1) Big Ten is clearly the strongest overall.

Next 3 would be (2) the Big XII (which only consists of 4 actual Big XII schools but has 6 affiliates from the upper Midwest and West, (3) the EIWA (consortium of 16 eastern schools, including Ivy and Patriot League schools), and (4) the MAC (which includes Missouri and Northern Iowa as affiliates).

Rest of the conferences (5) ACC (only 6 schools, but those schools do fairly well), (6) Eastern Wrestling League (home of the D-2 PSAC schools that compete at D-1, e.g., Lock Haven, Clarion, et cetera, plus a couple other Eastern schools), (7) Pac-12 (also only 6 schools, generally weaker than the ACC), and (8) the Southern Conference (3 actual SoCon schools plus a bunch of affiliates).

Anyway ..... prior to the Conference Championships, the NCAA will allocate ~ 29 bids for Nationals (for each weight class), allocated on a per-conference basis. For instance, the Big Ten got 9 automatic spots at the 184 LB weight class this year. EVERY athlete who wins a conference championship will qualify for Nationals - every weight class/conference allocation is at least one.

Then there will be ~4 at-large spots determined by committee after the Conference Championships, getting us to the 33 per class.
03-16-2017 11:19 PM
Erictelevision Offline
All American

Thanks for the breakdown Bearcat.
03-16-2017 11:24 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

(03-16-2017 08:39 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  It's too bad they don't do a true dual meet format for a team championship.

I think it's bogus that they award a "team championship" when you don't even contest the sport in its normal team format.

Wrestling is ultimately an individual sport.

Duels are nice and all, and are fun for the fans. But determining a "team championship" via Duels, I'd argue, is just as contrived as what is currently done.
03-16-2017 11:33 PM
Advertisement

TexanMark Offline
Legend

I Root For: Syracuse
Title IX has killed Wrestling...that is too bad.
03-17-2017 09:32 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

(03-17-2017 09:32 AM)TexanMark Wrote:  Title IX has killed Wrestling...that is too bad.

I think wrestling's core is solid enough. Wish the sport had more schools, but the B1G schools, eastern Ivies and Patriots, PSAC schools, and Great Plains schools (Big XII + Mizzo + NIU) will likely never give it up. The ACC schools that sponsor the sport are becoming gradually better too.

Syracuse not having either wrestling or ice hockey - that's unfortunate. I'd think Syracuse would become rather successful at both in short-order (see Penn State hockey as an analogy).
03-17-2017 11:52 AM
Monarchist13 Offline

I Root For: ODU
(03-16-2017 11:19 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  (4) the MAC (which includes Missouri and Northern Iowa as affiliates).

You left ODU out as affiliates of the MAC. And its not like were bottom feeders.
03-17-2017 12:13 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(03-16-2017 11:33 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  Wrestling is ultimately an individual sport.

Duels are nice and all, and are fun for the fans. But determining a "team championship" via Duels, I'd argue, is just as contrived as what is currently done.

Duals are wrestling. That's the base unit of wrestling competition.

Individual tournaments are the part that's "for fun", or more importantly, to bolster the number of matches that wrestlers get in a season.

The MN high school state tournament has both components: a dual meet tournament for the top team in each section, and an individual tournament for the top individuals in each weight class.

That's what it should be.
03-17-2017 12:43 PM
Advertisement

Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

(03-17-2017 12:13 PM)ODUDrunkard13 Wrote:  
(03-16-2017 11:19 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  (4) the MAC (which includes Missouri and Northern Iowa as affiliates).

You left ODU out as affiliates of the MAC. And its not like were bottom feeders.

Didn't say you were.
03-17-2017 03:23 PM
Nittany_Bearcat Offline
Special Teams

(03-17-2017 12:43 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Duals are wrestling. That's the base unit of wrestling competition.

Individual tournaments are the part that's "for fun", or more importantly, to bolster the number of matches that wrestlers get in a season.

The MN high school state tournament has both components: a dual meet tournament for the top team in each section, and an individual tournament for the top individuals in each weight class.

Fair enough. But at least for this year, there's no real argument who the team Champion is. It's definitely not a function of format.

Five individuals National Champions for Penn State --- they would have been close to winning a duel against "the best of the rest" this year!
03-18-2017 10:42 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I loved it when Terry Brands told Clark to throw him!!! Classic Brands! They picked me up and drove me to the Dan Gable wrestling camp when I was a kid in Iowa when they were (Tom and Terry) freshman. Great guys..
Cheers!
03-18-2017 10:46 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-18-2017 10:42 PM)Nittany_Bearcat Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 12:43 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  Duals are wrestling. That's the base unit of wrestling competition.

Fair enough. But at least for this year, there's no real argument who the team Champion is. It's definitely not a function of format.

Five individuals National Champions for Penn State --- they would have been close to winning a duel against "the best of the rest" this year!

I can't believe how dominant Penn St was the past few days....Getting all those pins at this level is just unbelievable. Martinez of Illinois was a 2 time NCAA champion. To get thrown and pinned like that in a 1 point difference match with 45 seconds left is unheard of.
Cheers!
03-18-2017 10:52 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

Yeah ... no real argument from me: Penn St would've won a national dual tournament this year.

I'm surprised there isn't already such a tournament held outside the NCAA championship, sponsored by the coach's organization or something to that effect. A "True Team" tournament.
03-19-2017 10:33 AM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

(03-19-2017 10:33 AM)MplsBison Wrote:  Yeah ... no real argument from me: Penn St would've won a national dual tournament this year.

I'm surprised there isn't already such a tournament held outside the NCAA championship, sponsored by the coach's organization or something to that effect. A "True Team" tournament.

They stopped it. For decades they had "The National Duals"....another big dual tourney that was the unofficial dual championship for years was the "Virginia Duals." I'm the board expert on college wrestling. Been going to NCAA tournaments, dual meets etc all over the country for 37 years. My Dad is friends with John Smith and Dan Gable. Gables family and my Mom's family were close in Waterloo since Dan was a kid in the 60's.

Cheers!
03-19-2017 01:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.