Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Well, What now?
Bookmark and Share
B_Hawk06 Offline

I Root For: UNCW / America
Well, What now?
(03-17-2017 01:33 PM)Seahawkhoops Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 01:17 PM)bricksnivy Wrote:  I'd be surprised to see an offer today, unless Archie has already said 'no thanks, I have better offers'.

I've heard that is If swings and misses on their pipe dreams, Archie is #1

CBS reports are saying Archie is not going to take it and Keatts became their top target.

Read another article saying that if the meeting is already going public, their probably close to a deal.
03-17-2017 01:36 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
bricksnivy Offline
All American

I Root For: UNCW
RE: Well, What now?
I would hate to see it happen at all, but if it happens quick, it would be better. Can't pull for NCSU regardless of the coach, but I'll always appreciate what he did in a short time here. When he is looking for a job in 4-5 years, I'll be a fan again.
03-17-2017 01:49 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I Root For: UN CW
My biggest concern isn't the loss of Keatts per se', it's the transfers and de-commits that will surely follow. The best time for a player to transfer is after their freshman or sophomore year. That leaves open Cacock, Bryce and Fornes as ripe for pickin'. Don't forget, Wichita State was hot on the heels of Bryce to leave UNCW and commit to them.

Not to mention the JUCO transfers and HS recruits.

It's the reason why whoever is next up is so incredibly important. MUST be someone who plays just as we do now, and comes from a program that has succeed in our style of play.

Keatts total pay is #48 in the nation right now, which means we should be able to compete with any mid majors in that aspect. Look no further than the Smart or Pitino coaching tree. And if Keatts is interviewing, so should we. I'd be on the horn right now, setting up interviews for all next week.

Love the guy, but if this is business, it's business.
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 02:01 PM by 82hawk.)
03-17-2017 01:57 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Well, What now?
I agree on all that 82. I hope Bass isn't just sitting back and waiting to see what happens, but at the same time doing whatever he can to convince Keatts to stick with UNCW and wait for better offers than just NC State.

However, right now it looks like the writing is on the wall. This is something UNCW must address with either Keatts or the next coach. Start paying our coach better so that we can have sustained success and they don't bolt for the first big pay check. Otherwise, in 3-4 years we're gonna be in this situation again and we'll be shaking hands with some low major as they hand us a $200,000 buyout and then give our coach a couple million or more.

If we want a top 25 program we need to pay top 25 money.
03-17-2017 02:04 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

I don't even think they will wait and interview anyone else. Keatts interviews extremely well and has the recruiting connections. Debbie Yow and their Chancellor will roll the dice to be sure he doesn't end up elsewhere. Hope i'm wrong, but damn this interview was quick!
03-17-2017 02:09 PM
bricksnivy Offline
All American

What is Ark St able to pay a coach? Moton would be worth an interview, and likely would prefer to stay in NC.
03-17-2017 02:10 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2017 02:04 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  I agree on all that 82. I hope Bass isn't just sitting back and waiting to see what happens, but at the same time doing whatever he can to convince Keatts to stick with UNCW and wait for better offers than just NC State.

However, right now it looks like the writing is on the wall. This is something UNCW must address with either Keatts or the next coach. Start paying our coach better so that we can have sustained success and they don't bolt for the first big pay check. Otherwise, in 3-4 years we're gonna be in this situation again and we'll be shaking hands with some low major as they hand us a $200,000 buyout and then give our coach a couple million or more.

If we want a top 25 program we need to pay top 25 money.

We don't have the donor base, the corporate base, the size or the regional following to get to that level in my lifetime. Our location on the coast is great, but being in a relatively small town pushed up against the border of South Carolina, and hundreds and hundreds of miles from any big city that doesn't already have a university limits our upside.

I heard we were willing to get Keatts to a topside of $750k, but when an ACC school comes calling with over $2 million, you pick up the phone and say GO PACK!

We are what we are. If we want a keeper, our best chance is a coach on the back side of their career who has made their money, and just wants to coach in a great location. CofC and Coastal both made those moves and did well.

I still think this is our guy if Keatts leaves.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Darrin_Horn

However, if NCSU takes Will Wade he may be VCU's guy....
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 02:19 PM by 82hawk.)
03-17-2017 02:17 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Well, What now?
At this point, it seams clear that he's been contemplating the NCSU job for a bit and likely was already in talks with NCSU prior to today.
03-17-2017 04:13 PM
Fletch 8 Offline
Bench Warmer

Most depressing 24 hours to be a Seahawk in a long time.

I say offer Assistant Coach Thomas Carr.
03-17-2017 04:38 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2017 04:38 PM)Fletch 8 Wrote:  Most depressing 24 hours to be a Seahawk in a long time.

He is not ready. If anyone Stanley would be the better pick.
03-17-2017 05:14 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2017 05:14 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 04:38 PM)Fletch 8 Wrote:  Most depressing 24 hours to be a Seahawk in a long time.

He is not ready. If anyone Stanley would be the better pick.

I think Casey is a decent guy but I don't think he is the best fit or ready. Siddle has played under keatts and coached a year under keatts at Hargrave. It was also somewhat telling when Keatts put him out there to address the radio guys during a post game interview after a loss. Siddle sounded very polished and impressed me during his post game interview.
03-17-2017 07:24 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

Please tell me Siddle is not our guy! Not enough experience to win at the level we want to be at.
03-17-2017 07:53 PM
getmhawks Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2017 07:53 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  Please tell me Siddle is not our guy! Not enough experience to win at the level we want to be at.

Just announced as interim head coach so obviously Keatts and Bass feel he's most ready on the staff.
03-17-2017 08:05 PM
MegaCard Offline
Special Teams

I Root For:
Louisville has another assistant coach who is an up and comer and is ready to take his first job. His name is Mike Balado. He does have experience in the North Carolina area working at High Point for 3 seasons.
03-17-2017 08:11 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Well, What now?
(03-17-2017 08:05 PM)getmhawks Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 07:53 PM)surfsalot Wrote:  Please tell me Siddle is not our guy! Not enough experience to win at the level we want to be at.

Just announced as interim head coach so obviously Keatts and Bass feel he's most ready on the staff.

I'd agree with it. But it's interim until we hire for real. Time will tell...
03-17-2017 08:11 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

Smart move by UNCW to keep the players and recruits on track and to give them someone to talk to about any questions they have. It also tells me who Keatts felt needed to be in the position to handle this transition. I think Keatts is truly grateful to UNCW and will do everything he can to make this is smooth as possible. I also think he will work to assist us in the future in any way he can.

Would not be surprised if he and Pitino are giving us a heads up on who our next hire should be. We're part of their family now....:-)
(This post was last modified: 03-17-2017 08:17 PM by 82hawk.)
03-17-2017 08:15 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

UNCW is doing a great job being on top of this. The Chancellor has already issued a statement saying they are already hard at work on his replacement. The more pro active they are the more stability it will bring to the transition.

So far, UNCW gets an A+ on how they handled the CAA tournament, the NCAA tournament and now this.
03-17-2017 08:22 PM
surfsalot Offline
2nd String

(03-17-2017 08:15 PM)82hawk Wrote:  Smart move by UNCW to keep the players and recruits on track and to give them someone to talk to about any questions they have. It also tells me who Keatts felt needed to be in the position to handle this transition. I think Keatts is truly grateful to UNCW and will do everything he can to make this is smooth as possible. I also think he will work to assist us in the future in any way he can.

Would not be surprised if he and Pitino are giving us a heads up on who our next hire should be. We're part of their family now....:-)
I agree it makes sense for interim only. We need an accomplished head coach to run this program. Keep him on for continuity but bring in someone with experience.
03-17-2017 08:24 PM
B_Hawk06 Offline

Well, What now?
(03-17-2017 08:22 PM)82hawk Wrote:  UNCW is doing a great job being on top of this. The Chancellor has already issued a statement saying they are already hard at work on his replacement. The more pro active they are the more stability it will bring to the transition.

So far, UNCW gets an A+ on how they handled the CAA tournament, the NCAA tournament and now this.

The only part of that statement I wasn't thrilled with was the "...rich tradition of the ACC..." we could all do without the constant reminder now that we are the red headed stepchild to our fellow NC ACC schools.
03-17-2017 08:31 PM
82hawk Offline
Heisman

(03-17-2017 08:31 PM)CoastGuardHawk06 Wrote:  
(03-17-2017 08:22 PM)82hawk Wrote:  UNCW is doing a great job being on top of this. The Chancellor has already issued a statement saying they are already hard at work on his replacement. The more pro active they are the more stability it will bring to the transition.

The only part of that statement I wasn't thrilled with was the "...rich tradition of the ACC..." we could all do without the constant reminder now that we are the red headed stepchild to our fellow NC ACC schools.

Eh. Always the politician, may as well keep all the bridges unburned and polished brightly. Who knows, maybe Keatts will give us a home and home series every decade....:-)
03-17-2017 08:35 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.