Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2017 Football
Bookmark and Share
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
RE: 2017 Football
I say this with no malice -- but I can't help but notice that the important body part that you did not mention that Steve helped us win with was his brain! In my opinion, that is the QB's most important body part.

I too applaud Cluley for his contributions to the program. However, the guy started for the better part of three years! I expected more out of him in year 3. Now we are being asked to be patient while another rookie learns the ropes. Fine, if he is worth it. However, top programs have their next quarterback already groomed and ready to go as soon as one graduates.
03-10-2017 08:14 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
hktribefan Offline
1st String

I Root For: William & Mary
2017 Football
(03-10-2017 08:14 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I say this with no malice -- but I can't help but notice that the important body part that you did not mention that Steve helped us win with was his brain! In my opinion, that is the QB's most important body part.

I too applaud Cluley for his contributions to the program. However, the guy started for the better part of three years! I expected more out of him in year 3. Now we are being asked to be patient while another rookie learns the ropes. Fine, if he is worth it. However, top programs have their next quarterback already groomed and ready to go as soon as one graduates.

I feel like we're in an interesting time with our recruiting. The Laycock Center, new Stadium, and improved play have upped our recruiting game. We're in a position where we definitely have a couple of QBs that have worked in the system for a few years and may be ready to start, but our improved recruits may be better to the point they get the nod. Spring practice will be very interesting.
03-10-2017 08:22 PM
TribeNomad Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
(03-10-2017 08:22 PM)hktribefan Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 08:14 PM)Zorch Wrote:  I say this with no malice -- but I can't help but notice that the important body part that you did not mention that Steve helped us win with was his brain! In my opinion, that is the QB's most important body part.

I feel like we're in an interesting time with our recruiting. The Laycock Center, new Stadium, and improved play have upped our recruiting game. We're in a position where we definitely have a couple of QBs that have worked in the system for a few years and may be ready to start, but our improved recruits may be better to the point they get the nod. Spring practice will be very interesting.

It will be for sure. we usually see QB's step in that have been in the system (exception Corley) for some time. This year eyes look to be on younger versions, and the question is how will that play out?

Factor in the vacancy at OC, and the plot thickens. Does this mean JL will be the only "decider". As a "mature" head coach, does he opt for the more veteran player that has been in the system, or go out on a limb with a younger version?
03-12-2017 09:37 AM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
Laycock will play people based on who he thinks gives the program the best chance to win. This isn't some sort of pro team where you can build a dynasty with the same players for years. They rotate through the system. With that said, loyalty and trust are important too.
03-12-2017 10:04 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
From: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=...m=&src=FCS

---
WILLIAM & MARY
Head Coach: Jimmye Laycock (243-180-2, 37 seasons)
2016 Records: 5-6, 3-5 CAA
Spring Practices: March 15-April 15
What to Know: Laycock will enter the 2017 season just seven wins shy of 250 in his career. His team faces the challenge of replacing three-year starting quarterback Steve Cluley and two-time all-conference tailback Kendell Anderson. The QB derby includes Tommy McKee, Brandon Battle, Dean Rotger and true freshman Shon Mitchell. The tailback spot will benefit after Albert Funderburke recovers from a knee injury, but in the spring, senior Jonathan Dunn, Noah Giles and Brehon Britt will seek inroads. At least the receiving corps is stacked with DeVonte Dedmon, Jalen Christian and tight end Andrew Caskin. The defense returns seven starters - one more than the offense - and needs to develop edge rushers after a subpar season.
03-12-2017 02:21 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2017 02:21 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  From: http://www.fcs.football/cfb/story.asp?i=...m=&src=FCS

---
WILLIAM & MARY
Head Coach: Jimmye Laycock (243-180-2, 37 seasons)
2016 Records: 5-6, 3-5 CAA
Spring Practices: March 15-April 15
What to Know: Laycock will enter the 2017 season just seven wins shy of 250 in his career. His team faces the challenge of replacing three-year starting quarterback Steve Cluley and two-time all-conference tailback Kendell Anderson. The QB derby includes Tommy McKee, Brandon Battle, Dean Rotger and true freshman Shon Mitchell. The tailback spot will benefit after Albert Funderburke recovers from a knee injury, but in the spring, senior Jonathan Dunn, Noah Giles and Brehon Britt will seek inroads. At least the receiving corps is stacked with DeVonte Dedmon, Jalen Christian and tight end Andrew Caskin. The defense returns seven starters - one more than the offense - and needs to develop edge rushers after a subpar season.

The receiving being the most experienced unit, I hope the offense will find a way to maximize the depth. With Kuzjak, Armstrong, Kinder along with Dedmon, Christian and Caskins we can really move the ball up and down the field.
03-12-2017 03:04 PM
Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
There are three of redshirt freshmen WRs who are going to push for playing time also. Looks like we're deeper here than any other position.
03-12-2017 03:36 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(03-12-2017 03:36 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  There are three of redshirt freshmen WRs who are going to push for playing time also. Looks like we're deeper here than any other position.

You are correct. We have Conlan a RS Sophomore that is pretty talented. RS freshman Mague, Lowery, Frerotte and Dulaney

It is critical for these guys to develop this spring. While they might not crack the starting line up, they can provide needed depth.

It's a long season. These guys need to be ready to seize the opportunity if it occurs.
03-12-2017 07:10 PM
Tribal Offline

That FCS article, for once, leads me to believe the author actually researched our beloved program. I think he even spelled surnames correctly; which, is better than some of you donks. :)

One Tribe. One Family.
03-12-2017 10:31 PM
Tribe4SF Offline
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(03-12-2017 07:10 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 03:36 PM)Tribe32 Wrote:  There are three of redshirt freshmen WRs who are going to push for playing time also. Looks like we're deeper here than any other position.

You are correct. We have Conlan a RS Sophomore that is pretty talented. RS freshman Mague, Lowery, Frerotte and Dulaney

It is critical for these guys to develop this spring. While they might not crack the starting line up, they can provide needed depth.

It's a long season. These guys need to be ready to seize the opportunity if it occurs.

Left out Sophomores Grant Waxter, Zach Sims and Brady Reitzel as well as Rfr. Kareem Johnson. QBs Teddy Hefter and Zach Burdick spent most of their time last fall as WRs. Amonyae Watson will be looking to crack the lineup as well. VERY crowded position group. Some of these guys could move to the secondary but that's a pretty full group as well.
03-13-2017 05:45 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(03-13-2017 05:45 AM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(03-12-2017 07:10 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  

Left out Sophomores Grant Waxter, Zach Sims and Brady Reitzel as well as Rfr. Kareem Johnson. QBs Teddy Hefter and Zach Burdick spent most of their time last fall as WRs. Amonyae Watson will be looking to crack the lineup as well. VERY crowded position group. Some of these guys could move to the secondary but that's a pretty full group as well.

Didn't leave them out, to your point, this is a very deep unit. This spring, every spring is a time guys can prove their worth. I would love to see all of these guys get reps in the fall. It would keep the veteran guys fresher and more productive. They travel with 6 wrs tradionally. There are 5 guys that will work to keep their spot in the rotation, leaving one spot up for grabs. Or they can use this spring to take one of those 5 spots. That is why I love spring ball.
03-13-2017 07:29 AM
Tribal Offline

I suppose stellar special teams play will help a few of the budding WRs crack the lineup.

One Tribe. One Family.
03-13-2017 07:40 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

How bad must've Funderburke's injury could've been? He might not be ready for the fall and I'm reading on the UR forums that Lauletta will be back for the first game.
03-13-2017 04:31 PM
hktribefan Offline
1st String

2017 Football
Full tear would take up to a year. Lauletta may have not had a full tear or something.
03-13-2017 09:31 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

2017 Football
UVA soph LB's Landan Word and Matt Terrell announced they are both transferring. Both played as true freshmen last fall. Would be a great fit with either one, though, find a little odd that their transfer decisions would come right before the start of spring ball.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
(This post was last modified: 03-14-2017 11:26 PM by Tribeheart.)
03-14-2017 10:29 PM
Tribal Offline

(03-14-2017 10:29 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  UVA soph LB's Landan Word and Matt Terrell announced they are both transferring. Both played as true freshmen last fall. Would be a great fit with either one, though, find a little odd that their transfer decisions would come right before the start of spring ball.

UVA didn't allow their last transfer to come to W&M so I suspect the two LBs will meet similar restraints.

One Tribe. One Family.
03-15-2017 09:01 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

Spring ball begins today. Looking forward watching the team progress and hopefully finding some answers.
03-15-2017 09:47 PM
ttgwm02 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William and Mar
(03-15-2017 09:01 AM)Tribal Wrote:  
(03-14-2017 10:29 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  UVA soph LB's Landan Word and Matt Terrell announced they are both transferring. Both played as true freshmen last fall. Would be a great fit with either one, though, find a little odd that their transfer decisions would come right before the start of spring ball.

UVA didn't allow their last transfer to come to W&M so I suspect the two LBs will meet similar restraints.

One Tribe. One Family.

Who was that?
03-16-2017 11:49 AM
Tribal Offline

(03-16-2017 11:49 AM)ttgwm02 Wrote:  
(03-15-2017 09:01 AM)Tribal Wrote:  

One Tribe. One Family.

Who was that?
A RB. Can't recall his name.

One Tribe. One Family.
03-16-2017 01:39 PM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

03-16-2017 01:39 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.