Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2017 Football
Bookmark and Share
TribeNomad Online
1st String

I Root For: W&M Tribe
2017 Football
Here is to hoping MBB can break through and win the title this year in SC.

On the football front, looking ahead to next year. Some thoughts:

OL
WR
TE

I feel good about this group, experience and depth.

RB
Sounds like Funderburke has a ways to go to get back to form after his injury. Britt & Dunn with experience, TF Evans get a shot?

QB
Mitchell with all the hype, and certainly deserved, but what about Rotger, also with credentials, and a year in the system?

DB
Experience and depth at safety, as well as CB. Hayes back from injury, will he get a shot?

LB
Liked Jones last year, Atkins back, Dulaney has been sidelined with injuries a bit in his career. Depth an issue, Purviance get a shot?

DL
Stephens back, Murray looked solid, but he was banged up at season end. Campbell learning new position, but has physical tools. Move the RF DE's (Walter, Omelchenko) to DT? We have young DE's (Suarez and Johnson) that gained experience, we should have depth at DE.

Defense may have to set the tone early this year as a new QB breaks into the system. Young guys played a lot last year, and they got better
(ignore Towson game) as the season progressed. I expect the defense
to look better next year. Key will be depth and growth at DT and LB to slow run heavy teams, and get better pursuit off the ends. QB's like Schor and Lauretta are surgical when given time to throw.

Health P & PK would be nice as well.
02-26-2017 07:55 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: 2017 Football
All great questions.

This spring/summer is an important time for these positions. Finding the answers to these questions will be the key to the 2017 season. That and our experienced groups performing to their potential.

Let's hope that there was 100% commitment from our players this winter. We are young at some critical positions. The off season is a time for them to grow in to their roles.
02-26-2017 02:28 PM
TribeNomad Online
1st String

Just got back from the 'Burg, as I was picking up 8th graders from the Model UN sessions. Parked at Bryan, and as luck would happen, Zable was open as some track guys were doing some training. Walked out on the field, stood at the fifty and looked all around. Good way to get pumped up.
02-26-2017 02:47 PM
tribeintexas Offline
1st String

I Root For: William&Mary
W&M Pro Day set at 4/16 4 PM.
02-26-2017 02:50 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(02-26-2017 02:50 PM)tribeintexas Wrote:  W&M Pro Day set at 4/16 4 PM.

Steve Cluley, Jerry Ugokwe, Kevin Hart, Trey Reed, Kendall Anderson. Anyone else? Marcus Harvey, Dominic Martinelli??
02-27-2017 09:48 PM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

(02-27-2017 09:48 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  

Steve Cluley, Jerry Ugokwe, Kevin Hart, Trey Reed, Kendall Anderson. Anyone else? Marcus Harvey, Dominic Martinelli??
Hunter Windmuller sure showed the potential prior to injury plagued senior year.

Sent from my SM-N910V using CSNbbs mobile app
02-27-2017 11:25 PM
Advertisement

tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(02-27-2017 11:25 PM)Tribeheart Wrote:  
(02-27-2017 09:48 PM)tribefbfan Wrote:  

Hunter Windmuller sure showed the potential prior to injury plagued senior year.

I agree, if kickers are included he should give it a shot.
02-28-2017 10:56 PM
Tribal Offline

Spring practice schedule is posted

One Tribe. One Family.
03-03-2017 04:06 PM
Tribe4SF Online
1st String

I Root For: W&M
(03-03-2017 04:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Spring practice schedule is posted

One Tribe. One Family.

Where?
03-03-2017 04:11 PM
Tribal Offline

(03-03-2017 04:11 PM)Tribe4SF Wrote:  
(03-03-2017 04:06 PM)Tribal Wrote:  Spring practice schedule is posted

One Tribe. One Family.

Where?
Tribe Football Instagram and Twitter

[Image: d474cc2e6136ec26339b56537bdbdf2c.jpg]

One Tribe. One Family.
03-04-2017 11:29 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

What are your predictions for our W-L record for 2017?
03-06-2017 02:44 PM
Advertisement

Tribe32 Offline
All American

I Root For: Tribe
9-4. 8-3 in the regular season and go 1-1 in the playoffs.
03-06-2017 05:46 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

I would love to see the 2017 Tribe finish at 8-3, 9-4. This would be a huge success. I hesitate to set the expectations that high.

First year starting QB, no proven stud RB. The last two years with KA and MAS provided a threat to opposing defenses that at this point does not appear on the 2017 depth chart. Those two positions have accounted for 50% of our offensive output, lets say 75% since the QB has to get the ball to our receivers. On defense we are still young. The LB unit is thin. We have some nice players at this position, but need to find some depth and the starters need to stay healthy. The DL again has some good players, but has struggled against the run. Our offense will need game time and game speed to truly come together. If teams control possession with a strong run game our offense could struggle to put up points, we need to stop the run better.

We have good players, good kids, the kind that were overlooked by other teams and can perform at a high level. Many of these guys play above their natural ability because they have something to prove and have a strong love for the game. The past few years the roster didn't look much different, except we had some studs at a few positions that made the difference between winning and losing. This spring we need a Mike Reilly or a Tyler Claytor to emerge on the DL, a Luke Rhodes type LB. DeAndre Houston-Carson was a leader on and off the field, he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time. We need a Sabor or Anderson type of RB that can pound it between the tackles 25 to 30 plays.

We have won games at times the last few years not because we had better athletes, but because we had guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed.

This spring will give us a glimpse at who the next leaders will be. I believe they are there. To put lofty expectations on this group as a fan is natural. I am hopeful as many of you are, but a 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 record seems more realistic. Too much youth at critical positions. We have about 6 months, plenty of time for our guys to respond. I hope to be wrong.
03-10-2017 10:57 AM
Tribeheart Offline
Heisman

2017 Football
Still curious to see if DB Rashaad Goodwyn will be back on the roster. Appears back in school and pinned tweet from last summer with practice pic:
"The sequel will be better than the original!"

Think he would be a very nice bonus addition, if it happens. Yet to see any Tribe gametime, but expected big things from him coming out of HS. Big hitter.

Also, noticed Shon Mitchell working out with a sports performance group. Good stuff.

(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 11:30 AM by Tribeheart.)
03-10-2017 11:13 AM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(03-10-2017 11:13 AM)Tribeheart Wrote:  Still curious to see if DB Rashaad Goodwyn will be back on the roster. Appears back in school and pinned tweet from last summer with practice pic:
"The sequel will be better than the original."

Think he would be a very nice bonus addition, if it happens. Yet to see any Tribe gametime, but expected big things from him coming out of HS. Big hitter.

Also, noticed Shon Mitchell working out with a sports performance group. Good stuff.

Rashaad would absolutely be great to have back. He had a productive redshirt year, showed a lot of potential. I know he is eager to be back. I hope the coaches let him back on sooner than later.
03-10-2017 11:33 AM
TribePride52 Offline
1st String

(03-10-2017 10:57 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  I would love to see the 2017 Tribe finish at 8-3, 9-4. This would be a huge success. I hesitate to set the expectations that high.

First year starting QB, no proven stud RB. The last two years with KA and MAS provided a threat to opposing defenses that at this point does not appear on the 2017 depth chart. Those two positions have accounted for 50% of our offensive output, lets say 75% since the QB has to get the ball to our receivers. On defense we are still young. The LB unit is thin. We have some nice players at this position, but need to find some depth and the starters need to stay healthy. The DL again has some good players, but has struggled against the run. Our offense will need game time and game speed to truly come together. If teams control possession with a strong run game our offense could struggle to put up points, we need to stop the run better.

We have good players, good kids, the kind that were overlooked by other teams and can perform at a high level. Many of these guys play above their natural ability because they have something to prove and have a strong love for the game. The past few years the roster didn't look much different, except we had some studs at a few positions that made the difference between winning and losing. This spring we need a Mike Reilly or a Tyler Claytor to emerge on the DL, a Luke Rhodes type LB. DeAndre Houston-Carson was a leader on and off the field, he seemed to always be in the right place at the right time. We need a Sabor or Anderson type of RB that can pound it between the tackles 25 to 30 plays.

We have won games at times the last few years not because we had better athletes, but because we had guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed.

This spring will give us a glimpse at who the next leaders will be. I believe they are there. To put lofty expectations on this group as a fan is natural. I am hopeful as many of you are, but a 5-6, 6-5, 7-4 record seems more realistic. Too much youth at critical positions. We have about 6 months, plenty of time for our guys to respond. I hope to be wrong.

Since we wont have Funderburke back in time for the season, our freshman will have to carry a lot of the load. I personally think we have a lot of depth on defense. I think it is 100% possible we can be a top 3 in run defense in the CAA. That front four has a ton of skill. My deepest concern is the o-line. Replacing Ugowke and Martinelli is going to be a tough challenge. I think we have one of the most talented receiving cores in the CAA. I hope it will be a successful year.
03-10-2017 02:08 PM
Advertisement

Tribal Offline

Dunn is more than capable of carrying the load and I'm sure a TF will emerge in support.

One Tribe. One Family.
03-10-2017 04:09 PM
TribeNomad Online
1st String

(03-10-2017 02:08 PM)TribePride52 Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:57 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  I would love to see the 2017 Tribe finish at 8-3, 9-4. This would be a huge success. I hesitate to set the expectations that high.

Since we wont have Funderburke back in time for the season, our freshman will have to carry a lot of the load. I personally think we have a lot of depth on defense. I think it is 100% possible we can be a top 3 in run defense in the CAA. That front four has a ton of skill. My deepest concern is the o-line. Replacing Ugowke and Martinelli is going to be a tough challenge. I think we have one of the most talented receiving cores in the CAA. I hope it will be a successful year.

I am not concerned about the OL, we have depth, basically three starters back, and other guys that have played in games.
03-10-2017 05:36 PM
Zorch Offline
All American

I Root For: W&M
(03-10-2017 10:57 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  We have won games at times the last few years not because we had better athletes, but because we had guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed.

I'm sad to point out that last year our QB was not one of the "guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed."

Hopefully the rookie QB will be something special ....
03-10-2017 07:22 PM
tribefbfan Offline
Special Teams

(03-10-2017 07:22 PM)Zorch Wrote:  
(03-10-2017 10:57 AM)tribefbfan Wrote:  We have won games at times the last few years not because we had better athletes, but because we had guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed.

I'm sad to point out that last year our QB was not one of the "guys at critical positions that would make the plays when needed."

Hopefully the rookie QB will be something special ....

Steve made some plays with his feet, his arm and with his toughness.

I hope our fan base has the patience it might need as the young guy gets used to the game at this level. The QB position is the most scrutinized position on the field. You can't hide from any mistake.

I appreciate Steve's contribution to the program and am excited about the future.
03-10-2017 07:56 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.