Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chattanooga
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
Chattanooga
how come they were never talked about for an FBS moveup?
(This post was last modified: 02-17-2017 01:11 PM by john01992.)
02-17-2017 01:01 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

I Root For: NDSU/Minnesota
RE: Chattanooga
Can they afford it?
02-17-2017 01:03 PM
Tom in Lazybrook Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: So Alabama, GWU
They have 10,000 undergrads. Kind of small to support FBS.
And NCAA waiver or not, moving to FBS independence with no conference affiliation is daunting.
02-17-2017 01:06 PM
john01992 Offline
Former ESPNer still in recovery mode

I Root For: John0 out!!!!
I remember someone on here saying they were invited to the SBC but said no. now that Liberty is upgrading I'm wondering what the deal is with them now.
02-17-2017 01:13 PM
Wolfman Offline
All American

I Root For: The Cartel
Total football expenses According to Equity in Athletics Database

Chattanooga $3,968,198
ODU $8,709,737
Wake Forest $15,440,704

Assuming they would have to double their budget to be competitive, they would need a way to fill that gap until revenue and donations catch up. That mean someone would have to put up $20-25 million. Would the state provide the funds? They would also be competing with Tennessee for fans. That's a tough draw.
02-17-2017 04:04 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND
If they were serious about FBS in the past, the Sun Belt would have seriously considered them.
02-17-2017 04:07 PM
Advertisement

MplsBison Offline
Banned

While the EiA database is really nice ... the data in there is very outdated, right now. It's for the 2014-15 school year. Still gives a decent idea, though.

Guessing there's a zero percent chance that the U of Tenn board would approve institutional funds being allocated to fund a move to FBS. They certainly aren't getting any money from Knoxville.

That would be like the U of Minn giving money to fund Minn-Duluth moving to DI. Not happening.
02-17-2017 04:09 PM
DavidSt Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: ATU, P7
(02-17-2017 01:13 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I remember someone on here saying they were invited to the SBC but said no. now that Liberty is upgrading I'm wondering what the deal is with them now.

Yes. The Sun Belt asked them to move up before they invited Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.
02-17-2017 06:12 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
The Cutter of Bish Offline
Heisman

I Root For: the little guy
The courtship was legit, but wasn't there suspicion UTC wasn't serious about it at all, and used it as a way to get SoCon to take more schools from TN and KY? The result being ETSU?

IIRC, there were things out there about Sun Belt, but it wasn't as heavy as UTC just going west to join their intrastate buddies over in OVC.
(This post was last modified: 02-18-2017 05:59 AM by The Cutter of Bish.)
02-18-2017 05:58 AM
cleburneslim Offline
1st String

I Root For: jax state
Utc told the sbc no for now. They had just hire a new AD. So who knows where they stand now.
02-18-2017 09:03 AM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE
(02-17-2017 01:01 PM)john01992 Wrote:  how come they were never talked about for an FBS moveup?
The OP presupposes that they actually want to move up which they do not.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
02-18-2017 09:50 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Advertisement

TrojanCampaign Offline
All American

I Root For: USC, AAMU,
I cannot blame any school for not wanting to move up. If you do the research it's not worth it. There are quite a few FBS teams now who would be better off just not having football teams at all but would get a massive backlash if they did that.

FBS is just a waste of millions of dollars to appease your ego if you are not a major program like USC, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, etc. If you are someone like Louisiana Monroe you will never play for a championship, you will never be able to keep a good coach, you will never have the same level of athletes as other schools, you will never have the budget that other schools have, you wont get the tv exposure other schools do.

It's literally choosing to play a costly sport at a handicap just because other people are doing it.
02-22-2017 05:18 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(02-22-2017 05:18 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I cannot blame any school for not wanting to move up. If you do the research it's not worth it. There are quite a few FBS teams now who would be better off just not having football teams at all but would get a massive backlash if they did that.

FBS is just a waste of millions of dollars to appease your ego if you are not a major program like USC, Ohio State, Texas, Alabama, etc. If you are someone like Louisiana Monroe you will never play for a championship, you will never be able to keep a good coach, you will never have the same level of athletes as other schools, you will never have the budget that other schools have, you wont get the tv exposure other schools do.

It's literally choosing to play a costly sport at a handicap just because other people are doing it.

Generally speaking: I reject this mindset.

Universities are not supposed to be about saving money just for the sake of saving money. They're not investments. They're not businesses.

If you want something nice that you can be proud of, it's gonna cost ya. That's as true about your own home, as it is college athletics.
(This post was last modified: 02-22-2017 05:39 PM by MplsBison.)
02-22-2017 05:39 PM
Soobahk40050 Offline
1st String

I Root For: Tennessee
(02-22-2017 05:39 PM)MplsBison Wrote:  
(02-22-2017 05:18 PM)TrojanCampaign Wrote:  I cannot blame any school for not wanting to move up. If you do the research it's not worth it. There are quite a few FBS teams now who would be better off just not having football teams at all but would get a massive backlash if they did that.

Universities are not supposed to be about saving money just for the sake of saving money. They're not investments. They're not businesses.

If you want something nice that you can be proud of, it's gonna cost ya. That's as true about your own home, as it is college athletics.

Note: I am a TN fan, and recognize any bias I may have because of that.

Even on the academic side, many programs (particularly on the masters and doctorate level) are money-losers, but the institutions keep the programs for various reasons.

On the same level, even if football is a money loser, if it accomplishes the purposes that the institution desires for it, they will keep it.

Let's take a completely made up school: Made Up Directional University competes in Made Up Athletic Conference every year. In the Made Up Athletic Conference, MUDU is a middling school, on occasion being decent to good, rarely great. They are losing money on football and wondering if they should drop football. But, student enrollment and donations to the academic side of the school went up when football was started. In addition, all MUDU's peer schools play football. Dropping football may save money, but will 1) cause enrollment and donations to go down, and 2) mean playing in a conference with perceived lesser institutions. Football is kept.
02-22-2017 06:23 PM
NoDak Offline
Jersey Retired
Jersey Retired

I Root For: UND

FBS is a way to get way more advertising for alumni donations and future students. That's the mInd set of most Presidents, who see as as a better way to get their schools name out there than actual advertising. Most of them know FBS will only be considered as success with a bowl game, which is an easy hurdle.
02-22-2017 06:41 PM
panama Offline
Legend

I Root For: Georgia STATE

There are no absolutes. It's all about finding the right fit.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk
02-22-2017 06:56 PM
Advertisement

Wedge Offline

I Root For: California
(02-18-2017 09:50 AM)panama Wrote:  
(02-17-2017 01:01 PM)john01992 Wrote:  how come they were never talked about for an FBS moveup?
The OP presupposes that they actually want to move up which they do not.

If you received a dollar every time someone on this message board presumed a school wants to move to FBS while the school in fact doesn't want that, then you would have enough money to get some school to name their football stadium after you. 07-coffee3
02-22-2017 07:18 PM
chiefsfan Offline
No Seriously, they let me be a mod

I Root For: ASU
(02-17-2017 06:12 PM)DavidSt Wrote:  
(02-17-2017 01:13 PM)john01992 Wrote:  I remember someone on here saying they were invited to the SBC but said no. now that Liberty is upgrading I'm wondering what the deal is with them now.

Yes. The Sun Belt asked them to move up before they invited Appalachian State and Georgia Southern.

We asked if they were interested. We never went farther than just a courtesy check.
02-22-2017 08:38 PM
billybobby777 Offline
The REAL BillyBobby

I Root For: ECU, Army

I think he makes a good point. Louisiana Monroe struggles to get H&H's. They have a history of playing road games for money (survival) Last season they did a 1 and done at New Mexico. If you cannot afford to play home games; how does that help the locals support the program if they have no good home games to go to?

Cheers!
02-22-2017 09:44 PM
MplsBison Offline
Banned

(02-22-2017 06:41 PM)NoDak Wrote:  FBS is a way to get way more advertising for alumni donations and future students. That's the mInd set of most Presidents, who see as as a better way to get their schools name out there than actual advertising. Most of them know FBS will only be considered as success with a bowl game, which is an easy hurdle.

I agree.

(02-22-2017 09:44 PM)billybobby777 Wrote:  how does that help the locals support the program if they have no good home games to go to?

Sun Belt home games are those games.
02-23-2017 11:44 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.