Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2017 FB Roster Notes
Bookmark and Share
JMU2004 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: DUKES
RE: 2017 FB Roster Notes
(07-13-2017 07:47 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 07:42 AM)PurpleRain Wrote:  Well, I'm sure Cole Johnson is still recovering from his collarbone injury, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's not able to compete for a spot right now.

Ding ding ding. ^^^THIS^^^

I am hopeful and optimistic that there will be ample opportunity to get Schor out by halftime this season so the backups can play the 2nd half, get some experience, and kinda-sorta battle for who might be the primary backup in case he is needed like Cole stepped up at Nova and vs Elon last year.

Yup. Tough to compete for the #2 when you're standing on the sideline for 2+ months.
07-13-2017 08:38 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison
(07-13-2017 07:03 AM)JMUNation Wrote:  I heard the new Freshman QB from SC and the third string QB #18(can't remember his name) are battling for the back up spot while Cole Johnson has dropped on the depth chart.
Hunter Etheridge
http://www.jmusports.com/roster.aspx?path=football
07-13-2017 09:53 AM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

(07-13-2017 05:23 AM)Potomac Wrote:  It seems to really be a revolving door for our QB depth since the last few years of Mickey. I wonder what the reason is this time.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Probably not more than most schools. You bring in 1-2 new QBs every season (scholly and walkon) because you're going to lose 1-2 every season (change positions, transfer, quit team/school, medical, etc).
07-13-2017 09:56 AM
DooX Offline
1st String

I Root For: JMU
Pat Kagel (LB) had his eligibility changed from a R-Jr. to a Sr., which is odd because it doesn't look like he played in either of his first two years. He saw limited action in 2016.

Jr. WR Daniel Clements is no longer listed.
07-19-2017 10:47 PM
JMU08 Offline
1st String

(07-13-2017 07:47 AM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(07-13-2017 07:42 AM)PurpleRain Wrote:  Well, I'm sure Cole Johnson is still recovering from his collarbone injury, so it wouldn't surprise me if he's not able to compete for a spot right now.

Ding ding ding. ^^^THIS^^^

I am hopeful and optimistic that there will be ample opportunity to get Schor out by halftime this season so the backups can play the 2nd half, get some experience, and kinda-sorta battle for who might be the primary backup in case he is needed like Cole stepped up at Nova and vs Elon last year.

I didn't even realize Cole had a collarbone injury. How/when did that happen?
07-20-2017 11:05 AM
ParentofJMUMRDs Offline
Heisman

JMU08

He was injured during the Spring Game. Did not look too bad when it first happened but by the end of the game his arm was in a sling and we all realized it was probably a bit more serious than we first thought. I think I heard he had the same sort of injury that Schor had during the Villanova game this past season but I could be incorrect.

Hope he is healing well and will be ready for fall practice and the start of the season!!!!

Go Dukes!!

Brian
07-20-2017 12:56 PM
JMUNation Offline
All American

I am hearing he it not throwing well and has fallen down the depth charts.
07-20-2017 10:17 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

Few updates for the start of practice:

Apparently Taylor will once again be wearing #14 and playing CB for the Dukes! Except I'm referring to Fr. LJ Taylor, not the jersey's previous wearer. Also, Nick Nunez (Fr. P) gets #78, and Jack Brigham (Fr. RB) gets #10.

The addition of Maryland OL transfer EJ Donahue has been discussed elsewhere. Listed as a rSo., he's another young 300+ pounder.

No longer on the roster:

Dorrius Rodgers (So. DL). Saw limited playing time last year as a true Fr.

Quintin Reynolds (rJr. WR). The ODU transfer. Also saw limited playing time last year (didn't catch a pass).
08-02-2017 07:03 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

Quite a few height and weight updates over the past few weeks. I haven't looked too closely yet to see if any stand out, but there have been a few other personnel changes as well.

The addition of USC OL transfer Pika Leota has already been well covered in other threads.

JMU also welcomed another transfer over the past couple of weeks. So. CB Sidney Wellons joins the Dukes as a transfer from Morehead St. He is the younger brother of the recently graduated Justin Wellons and has assumed the same number (#24). However, whenever he ends up stepping foot on BFS in a game situation it won't be his first, as he played for MSU in last year's opener and even made an impact by snaring an interception.

No longer on the roster:

Cordell Mattox (Fr. S). He had joined the Dukes over the summer, presumably as a walk-on.
08-15-2017 10:52 AM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
is the staff intentionally going after kids / siblings / cousins of legacy dukes? seems those numbers have risen...certainly adds to the good rhetoric of team and family that we hear

didnt we just pick up a commit from a Ravenel and one other in 18?
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 12:19 PM by bcp_jmu.)
08-15-2017 11:28 AM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

(08-15-2017 11:28 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  is the staff intentionally going after kids / siblings / cousins of legacy dukes? seems those numbers have risen...certainly adds to the good rhetoric of team and family that we hear

probably just more noticeable because they're siblings of "stars".... Ravenel, Davis, Cheatham. if they were the younger brother of our long snapper or 3rd string RG, we might not notice.

edit: just saw the thing about Wellons' brother. while Wellons is certainly a good player, not sure i'd call him a star. i'm still not sure if this is more siblings than we usually get. we certainly are putting a great product on the field, which helps.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 12:30 PM by Jay M. Youix.)
08-15-2017 12:28 PM
BDKJMU Offline
Heisman

Yeah, seems more than in the past (was usually a couple)..Currently on team:
-Marshall
-2nd Carter brother
-Younger Wellons brother
-Younger Cheatham brother
-2 Patrick brothers
-Etheridge twins

Am I missing anyone?

Next year will have the younger Ravenel committ.
(This post was last modified: 08-15-2017 01:49 PM by BDKJMU.)
08-15-2017 12:30 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2017 12:30 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Yeah, seems more than in the past (was usually a couple)..Currently on team:
-Marshall
-2nd Carter brother
-Younger Wellons
-Younger Cheatham
-Etheridge twins

So 1 who's father played, 1 who joined his brother, 2 whose brothers recently graduated, and a set of twins. Am I missing anyone?

Tabb Patrick in today's (#18) countdown thread + his brother Mac (#73) who likely will be a starter at Center this season.
08-15-2017 12:35 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

weren't many of us wondering about the status of the suspended players? I couldn't find that thread, so here we go.

according to RTD, Houston said in late December that the players "will be suspended well beyond the championship game." I don't remember seeing that, and I know i'm not alone in wondering how long they're out as I've seen it on this board and other social media. but it sounds like anyone suspecting Alls (and others) to be back for Game 1 is going to be disappointed. and yes, there are posters who weren't certain about this. apologies to anyone that already knew this quote from MH.

a very reasonable guess would be that they will miss a total of half of a regular season, and my guess is that the playoffs do count toward the total number of games.
08-15-2017 12:35 PM
Jay M. Youix Offline
1st String

one more thing: just read that MH is not opposed to using the four RB's on special teams this year. the article says "the four" so take that how you want. put that thought with the fact that he was displeased by our kickoff returns in general last year. what does that make me wonder? could Marcus Marshall be a kickoff returner for us? I happen to think he's the most talented back we have so it would make me nervous to have him there, but we certainly have depth and he's simply a game breaker.
08-15-2017 12:44 PM
Wear Purple Offline
Hall of Famer

(08-15-2017 12:44 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  one more thing: just read that MH is not opposed to using the four RB's on special teams this year. the article says "the four" so take that how you want. put that thought with the fact that he was displeased by our kickoff returns in general last year. what does that make me wonder? could Marcus Marshall be a kickoff returner for us? I happen to think he's the most talented back we have so it would make me nervous to have him there, but we certainly have depth and he's simply a game breaker.

I would not be surprised to see Taylor Woods returning kickoffs. I would be shocked to see Marshall or Johnson returning kickoffs. Also, success on KO returns is normally about 20% on the returner (IMO) and 80% on blocking. So, displeasure with kickoff returns by MH isn't necessarily on the guy bringing the ball back in his hand(s).

Having said all that, I hope we see very very VERY little of our KO return team this fall.

04-cheers
08-15-2017 12:51 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

(08-15-2017 12:35 PM)Wear Purple Wrote:  
(08-15-2017 12:30 PM)BDKJMU Wrote:  Yeah, seems more than in the past (was usually a couple)..Currently on team:
-Marshall
-2nd Carter brother
-Younger Wellons
-Younger Cheatham
-Etheridge twins

So 1 who's father played, 1 who joined his brother, 2 whose brothers recently graduated, and a set of twins. Am I missing anyone?

Tabb Patrick in today's (#18) countdown thread + his brother Mac (#73) who likely will be a starter at Center this season.

And the aforementioned Davis commit.

By the way, the 2017 Football Guide/Prospectus is out: http://jmusports.com/documents/2017/7/25...BGuide.pdf

Other connections according to the guide:

LJ Taylor's father played at JMU from 87-90.
Devin Medley's father played at JMU from 86-89 and is the school's 9th all-time leading rusher (2,319 yards).

Lot's of other (but non-football playing) links to JMU alums, as well as interesting connections to athletes at other schools and sports.
08-15-2017 01:32 PM
bcp_jmu Offline
Heisman

I Root For: James Madison!!
HCMH would be wise to keep pushing those connections - seems more than past, not a tidal wave, but smart.. smarter than "juice" (couldn't resist...)
08-15-2017 01:38 PM
DoubleDDuke Offline
Heisman

(08-15-2017 12:28 PM)Jay M. Youix Wrote:  
(08-15-2017 11:28 AM)bcp_jmu Wrote:  is the staff intentionally going after kids / siblings / cousins of legacy dukes? seems those numbers have risen...certainly adds to the good rhetoric of team and family that we hear

probably just more noticeable because they're siblings of "stars".... Ravenel, Davis, Cheatham. if they were the younger brother of our long snapper or 3rd string RG, we might not notice.

edit: just saw the thing about Wellons' brother. while Wellons is certainly a good player, not sure i'd call him a star. i'm still not sure if this is more siblings than we usually get. we certainly are putting a great product on the field, which helps.

To me, it speaks volumes of the experience our student athletes are having at JMU, and that has to make you proud.
08-16-2017 08:22 PM
DooX Offline
1st String

Taurus Carroll's (Fr. CB) number was switched from #3 to #35. Guess they wanted to give him number in the more common DB range since he might be seeing action due to Tutt's injury.

Couple interesting eligibility changes. Matt Wolcott (LS) has changed from a rJr. to a Sr. However, he did redshirt his freshman year. Brett Siegel was the LS all last season, and is a rSr.

Also, Ryan Etheridge has changed from a Sr. to a rJr. So far he's played some every year (no redshirt). Anyone know if he's hurt, or could it be they are simply not going to play him this year (unless absolutely necessary) to allow him to play next year? His brother is a rJr., so I don't know if that factored into the decision.
08-21-2017 07:46 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.