Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

2018 Official Football Recruiting Thread
Bookmark and Share
Old Ball Coach Offline
Water Engineer

I Root For: Toledo
RE: 2018 Official Football Recruiting Thread
(01-05-2018 11:14 PM)emanoh Wrote:  I think we have talent in the program and I'd like to see us groom our next record breaking QB from in house. I hope we don't go the grad transfer route. That would be a slap in the face to the guys who came here to compete.

Sent from my SM-G930V using Tapatalk

(01-06-2018 08:44 AM)bcunn3128 Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 11:18 PM)H2Oville Rocket Wrote:  
(01-05-2018 11:14 PM)emanoh Wrote:  I think we have talent in the program and I'd like to see us groom our next record breaking QB from in house. I hope we don't go the grad transfer route. That would be a slap in the face to the guys who came here to compete.

^ This.

I agree.

I totally agree. You keep pumping in JUCO and transfers and you will see a drop in interest from recruits. These kids that are here are quality players that have bought into the program from day one, and to see kids coming in for a year or so and them getting the nod to play, will not set well for the character of the staff.

A program has to be careful when bringing in transfers for team chemistry as well, as that goes deeper than one realizes in the locker room and onto the field. Develop your own talent and build your TEAM . We have the talent to do so....
01-06-2018 11:22 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
FMRocket Offline
All American

I Root For: UT Blue & Gold
With the quality of players brought in over the last few years, you would think there would not be a need to go into JUCO ranks ... Injuries and defections play a part, but I think the depth is there. Possibly focusing more on the defensive side of the ball, and maintaining a smash mouth O-line.
01-06-2018 02:25 PM
emanoh Offline
All American

I Root For:
2018 Official Football Recruiting Thread
Its like MLB. Teams that build through their minor leagues and build their own talent tend to have more long term success than rent a superstar teams. The Astros this year had a plan to byild from the ground up and they won the world series. We have one championship under our belts. I want 10 more.

01-06-2018 03:09 PM
NewMex RocketFan Offline
Hall of Famer

I Root For: Toledo Rockets

^ This.

I agree.

Undermine recruiting efforts. If there is a specific hole in need of immediate filling one thing but at QB? Doesn’t compute.
01-06-2018 05:56 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

Turned on Blue-Grey game just in time for the annoucers to say "Toledo commit." Just didn't hear which player that was. Anyone know?

edit: found it. Cross Wilkinson, QB from Wheeling Park,WV.
(This post was last modified: 01-06-2018 08:07 PM by eastisbest.)
01-06-2018 08:04 PM
falconplucker Offline
1st String

(01-06-2018 11:22 AM)Old Ball Coach Wrote:  

^ This.

I agree.

I totally agree. You keep pumping in JUCO and transfers and you will see a drop in interest from recruits. These kids that are here are quality players that have bought into the program from day one, and to see kids coming in for a year or so and them getting the nod to play, will not set well for the character of the staff.

A program has to be careful when bringing in transfers for team chemistry as well, as that goes deeper than one realizes in the locker room and onto the field. Develop your own talent and build your TEAM . We have the talent to do so....

I guess that depends. Bill Snyder built Kansas State on the backs of Junior College Transfers. I'm sure coaching in Manhattan Kansas will force you to do that. I can see some Junior College Transfers working on defense. It looks like we have some promising recruits, but it will be about 2 years before they are ready. I was a little back and forth about the quarterback issue. On one hand, it's not like Toledo is going to go undefeated next year, since Miami and Fresno are on the schedule. However, it would be a shame to waste the full potential of an offense with as many great offensive skill players that Toledo has on a QB who would only be starting one year. If the QBs from West Virginia and Florida live up to their projected potential, one of them should be the starting QB in 2 years. Having a seasoned gunslinger come on in for one year would not be the worst thing in the world.
01-06-2018 10:21 PM
MotoRocket Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
I think it is like anything else, when you don't have the talent in house and you have an immediate need - you look very hard at JUCO's and transfers that will fit in. We have done well with some of them. It would not be a good sign if we took a QB transfer now. It would be a very good sign if we could get some senior graduate transfers or JUCO all-Americans to come in at linebacker for a year or two. Injuries and our own transfers out contribute to the need.
(This post was last modified: 01-07-2018 10:53 AM by MotoRocket.)
01-07-2018 10:52 AM
pono Offline
Heisman

I Root For:
Kobacks would have been the MAC's highest rated recruit last season had he come to UT.

Barker was ranked 11th in his QB class and has the pro size and measureables, but was never that effective when he saw the field at UK.
01-07-2018 06:04 PM
BDV27 Offline
1st String

(01-06-2018 02:25 PM)FMRocket Wrote:  With the quality of players brought in over the last few years, you would think there would not be a need to go into JUCO ranks ... Injuries and defections play a part, but I think the depth is there. Possibly focusing more on the defensive side of the ball, and maintaining a smash mouth O-line.

I look at JUCOs, graduate transfers, regular transfers like NFL Free Agency. You don't build your team through JUCOs/transfers or Free Agency, but you you fill will glaring short term needs. Right now we have glaring needs on the Defensive front 7. If we don't fill these holes and add some talent, we can waste a lot of offnesive talent we have coming back next year.
01-07-2018 07:08 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
JUCO LB Tyree Thompson has committed to Vanderbilt University.
01-07-2018 09:17 PM
Springboromark Offline
All American

^ This.

I agree.

Totally disagree, transfers are brought in to bridge the gap, it is up to the 4 year ball players to out performed the transfers, it not they may learn from that 1 or 2 year player
01-07-2018 09:30 PM
eastisbest Offline
Hall of Famer

(01-07-2018 09:30 PM)Springboromark Wrote:  

^ This.

I agree.

Totally disagree, transfers are brought in to bridge the gap, it is up to the 4 year ball players to out performed the transfers, it not they may learn from that 1 or 2 year player

Totally disagree, a frequent refrain from UT fans as to why a player should choose here over a P5 is early playing time. Build a reputation as a mercenary camp, and the program loses that advantage.

Recruiting transfers to fill depth thinned due to transfer out, injury or academic casualty is one thing. Recruiting ttransfers because they are deemed better than already held talent, kills chemistry. These are not highly paid mercenaries of the NFL. These are future alums. Long term loyalty and education are the prime goals.
01-08-2018 04:40 AM
PTLROCK Offline
1st String

Toledo needs to do as nice a job with recruiting and otherwise bringing in talent as possible. The job is to be as competitive as possible. Competition is good for the system. Stay focused on the goal, or don't belly ache about number of wins, championships, OOC record, bowl wins, other conferences courting, NCAA births , etc..., Otherwise.
01-08-2018 10:24 AM
toledobrad Offline
2nd String

Per Jordan Strack:
IT’S OFFICIAL: Bryant Koback has transferred to the University of Toledo. He is enrolled in classes & has joined the football team.

The Springfield HS grad spent last year at Kentucky. This is a huge addition for Jason Candle’s Team.
01-17-2018 09:42 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Great great news... I hope his leg is recovered and that he can have a big time career at UT
01-17-2018 11:18 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I believe that he has 3 years of eligibility remaining starting in 2019
01-17-2018 11:18 AM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

I believe he was a better RB than Warren in 2016 until injured. 1000+ yards in 4 games approx.

UT wanted him then for SURE
01-17-2018 11:34 AM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
Good field vision and receiving skills. Nice addition for UT. Not as pressured to sign another RB.
01-17-2018 12:20 PM
IamN2daRockets! Offline
All American

Yeah...jolly is likely gone for 2018 since UCLA has now offered
01-17-2018 12:26 PM
Boca Rocket Offline
Legend

I Root For:
(01-17-2018 12:26 PM)IamN2daRockets! Wrote:  Yeah...jolly is likely gone for 2018 since UCLA has now offered

Playing Jolly at CB would be a waste of his Offensive talent.
01-17-2018 12:36 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.