Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Chicago State Death Spiral
Bookmark and Share
TDenverFan Online
All American

I Root For: William & Mary
RE: Chicago State Death Spiral
At this point, when you're only getting 140 some freshmen including part timers, what percent of the full time, traditional students are athletes? Has to be pushing a majority.
01-10-2018 03:44 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
possible conferences that chicago state can go to if they drop to a lower division:

NCAA
Division II
Great Midwest Athletic Conference
Great Lakes Valley Conference
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Division III
Midwest Conference
College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

NAIA
Division I
American Midwest Conference
01-11-2018 01:09 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: tOSU SJSU Stan'
joeben69,

The conference CSU would logically drop down to would be the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC), which is NAIA in all sports, except Basketball which is NCAA D-II.

http://www.ccacsports.com/

The schools are almost within about 75 miles of Chicago State, and include Roosevelt (Chicago), Governors State, Indiana-South Bend, and a bunch of similar sized private schools in the Chicago area.

Chicago State athletics actually is in good shape APR-wise, so they should meet NAIA standards. The budgets of the schools are similar to what Chicago State can afford, in the $2-3M range. Travel cost would go down dramatically. Also these schools have almost zero recruiting budget - this is a very large expense at Chicago State. Also the school could drop sports to get down to 10.

But this assumes you keep the school open. From a financial standpoint the intelligent thing to do is transfer the 500 strongest students to other campuses, even tuition free (it's cheaper) and leave only a couple strong programs open, such as Pharmacy (has 300+ students, 85% graduation rate ... this is the rare gem) by transferring administration to another school, like UIC. Basically Fire the entire administration of Chicago State. The campus could become a southern satellite of UIC, which probably makes more sense in the long run.

I need to correct my post based on internal audit information I found on CSU

Freshmen retention rates:
Fall 2012 = 54%
Fall 2013 = 53%
Fall 2014 = 58%
Fall 2016 = 51%

The report notes that most Freshmen since 2012 are part time. So it looks like athletes are almost the only full time, and the transfer rate includes them (yeah even they transfer). A lot are drops/fails too. Anyway the actual retention rate is 54% average. Almost all public schools have Freshmen retention rates ranging from 80-95%.

I suspect the politics of Chicago are such that the school will instead stay open as is a couple more years then just completely shut down due to dual enrollment and financial collapse, taking with it a solid Pharmacy school.
01-11-2018 03:01 PM
joeben69 Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: sdsu, ucsd, usd
(01-11-2018 03:01 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  joeben69,

The conference CSU would logically drop down to would be the Chicagoland Collegiate Athletic Conference (CCAC), which is NAIA in all sports, except Basketball which is NCAA D-II.

http://www.ccacsports.com/

The schools are almost within about 75 miles of Chicago State, and include Roosevelt (Chicago), Governors State, Indiana-South Bend, and a bunch of similar sized private schools in the Chicago area.

Chicago State athletics actually is in good shape APR-wise, so they should meet NAIA standards. The budgets of the schools are similar to what Chicago State can afford, in the $2-3M range. Travel cost would go down dramatically. Also these schools have almost zero recruiting budget - this is a very large expense at Chicago State. Also the school could drop sports to get down to 10.

But this assumes you keep the school open. From a financial standpoint the intelligent thing to do is transfer the 500 strongest students to other campuses, even tuition free (it's cheaper) and leave only a couple strong programs open, such as Pharmacy (has 300+ students, 85% graduation rate ... this is the rare gem) by transferring administration to another school, like UIC. Basically Fire the entire administration of Chicago State. The campus could become a southern satellite of UIC, which probably makes more sense in the long run.

I need to correct my post based on internal audit information I found on CSU

Freshmen retention rates:
Fall 2012 = 54%
Fall 2013 = 53%
Fall 2014 = 58%
Fall 2016 = 51%

The report notes that most Freshmen since 2012 are part time. So it looks like athletes are almost the only full time, and the transfer rate includes them (yeah even they transfer). A lot are drops/fails too. Anyway the actual retention rate is 54% average. Almost all public schools have Freshmen retention rates ranging from 80-95%.

I suspect the politics of Chicago are such that the school will instead stay open as is a couple more years then just completely shut down due to dual enrollment and financial collapse, taking with it a solid Pharmacy school.

i did research the naia dii conferences but i wanted to give chicago state the benefit of the doubt...
(This post was last modified: 01-12-2018 07:39 PM by joeben69.)
01-12-2018 01:14 AM
AZcats Offline
1st String

I Root For: stAte, af, zona
(01-11-2018 01:09 PM)joeben69 Wrote:  possible conferences that chicago state can go to if they drop to a lower division:

NCAA
Division II
Great Midwest Athletic Conference
Great Lakes Valley Conference
Great Lakes Intercollegiate Athletic Conference

Division III
Midwest Conference
College Conference of Illinois and Wisconsin

NAIA
Division I
American Midwest Conference

My only knowledge of Chicago State is what has been written here but I have serious doubts that any D2 conference would want anything to do with CSU. It might be difficult for D3 as well since those schools tend to focus on academic standards.

Among the D2 conferences mentioned above:
*GLIAC - probably not interested in another non-football school after UW-Parkside joins and will be down to 9 football schools when Tiffin leaves.
*GLVC - CSU would have to add men's soccer and softball to join since those are 2 of the 7 required conference sports (baseball, softball, m/w basketball, m/w soccer, and w volleyball).
*G-MAC - is now all small private faith-based schools with all but 3 schools in OH and WV, the other 3 are in KY, MI, and TN; the conference is stretched already without reaching out to Chicago.
01-16-2018 12:51 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

The numbers are in for Spring 2018. Chicago State's enrollment is just a tick under 2,800 as expected. However Full time equivalents have fallen to 1,350. This is important because if they fall below 1,000 they lose PBI ("Primary Black Institution") status.

Worse news, Paul Vallas audit determined that the default rate on Perkins loans is above 45%, and so the school is in line to lose that hugely important federal program. Total loan delinquency stands at $14,291,495. However another audit sampled 545 such debtors and found that 105 were deceased. Essentially the collections department does not function. The audits, which Vallas got done by outside teams, pro bono and for minimal host revealed many more issues and presented a laundry list of administrative reforms in the December board meeting.

The response of the board was to terminate Vallas, as "not a team player", the same phrase used when removing Dr. Calhoun. As of this moment we can declare all reform dead.

Current trajectory, even if the rate slows to less than half the current rate, by 2020 the school will have fewer than 2000 students, and fewer than 1000 FTE, will lose PBI status and be terminated from the federal student loan program.
01-30-2018 04:54 PM
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
Stu— you might mention that Vallas planned to end his contract early (in March) in order to pursue running for mayor of Chicago. That played a significant role in why he was terminated now..

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/paul-v...-cut-ties/
01-30-2018 06:42 PM
dancingNMSUaggie Offline
1st String

I Root For: NMSU
Josh. I don't get Chicago State. Almost beat Seattle on the road and get blown out by a bad CSUB team. What gives?
02-02-2018 10:52 AM
joshadam84 Offline

I Root For: Chicago State
dancing — They’re just frustrating. And it’s not just about the L’s, but how they lose. Dildy continues to have them play a pressure defense, and I can’t tell you how many wide open layups/dunks occur as a result. They’re also terrible at rotating so they give up a ton of uncontested threes. They’re best in a man to man even if they’re outsized because their zone has been atrocious. Sadly, their offense isn’t much to brag about either. Their typical offense possession is Fred Sims Jr jacking up a shot with a hand in his face or someone driving to the basket out of control. They rarely run anything. Simmons is a decent post presence, and if they worked the ball in and out it could create open looks.

This has been going on for years (offense and defense), and as much as I like Dildy if he can’t change his style or recruit kids who play well within it (like 2013) then it may be time for someone else to come in.
02-02-2018 01:28 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

(01-30-2018 06:42 PM)joshadam84 Wrote:  Stu— you might mention that Vallas planned to end his contract early (in March) in order to pursue running for mayor of Chicago. That played a significant role in why he was terminated now..

https://chicago.suntimes.com/news/paul-v...-cut-ties/

This is true. But the reason are not shed there. It had as much to do with frustration at his 13 "challenges" being killed off as by his political ambition. Of the 13 required reforms, 9 were tabled by the board and administration, and 4 only preliminary elements enacted, none are likely to be carried through. All had to do with getting the financial and accreditation issues in hand (e.g., satellite programs were identified as one of the best distinguishing offers Chicago State has potentially going forward, but failures to comply with federal rules has the school on notice for non-compliance with certain student loans, and is in arrears some $1.7M with the feds -- meaning any such program cannot be done).

I did not delve into details, but the entirety of his report is available, and if you'd like I will publish it (very long).

In a nutshell Vallas identified most of the structural problems with the administration, it's account methods, staff training shortcomings, collections issues (huge), and facilities procurement & maintenance (including technology), which are rapidly eroding the ability of the University to function. They are very fixable, and they are not for the most part expensive. However, what has become clear also is that "reform" will only be supported if it keeps existing people and practices in place and does not bring in outsiders.Calhoun was ousted for similar reasons, although his focus was more on the academic structural problems at CSU.

This is why I declare reform dead. Two highly competent education professionals, one with a laser focus on faculty and teaching, the other on administration and processes, were ousted in a few short months for basically the same reason; they were going to change the way business was run and competent people would start replacing entrenched people. The not a south-sider cry is the common theme. I very much doubt any highly qualified person will be willing to accept this challenge given these two ousters.

Summer 2020 is a good over under for when the school shutters. (I think it'll slog on until 2022)

BTW, speaking of systemic failure, Chicago State's women have an excellent chance on Saturday when they play Grand Canyon (10-11, 4-3) to set the NCAA record for futility with 59 straight losses. The Cougar women are 0-22 and 0-7 in WAC. While not a reflection on the academic side, the athletic department is another which has many unfilled vacancies and an inability to acquire talent. (To take nothing away from the heroic effort of the over matched employees who do what they can with what they have; but its not D-I level stuff)
02-02-2018 04:26 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

I Root For: TXST, UCLA, CBU
Chicago State has a ton of issues, but the issues can be resolved with good leadership. They have basic functions that are not working at this time: Accounts Receivable, Accounts Payable, Procurement, the ability to give leadership accurate month-to-month financial data. Marketing and a satellite campus might help. These can be fixed with good leadership.

According to Paul Vallas, Chicago State is “on the right track.” I don't know if Vallas is correct, but he was going to leave in July, so his leaving now to run for Mayor is just not a big deal. What is important, does the leadership exist to turn Chicago State around in the next 3-5 years?

The immediate problem for the WAC with regards to Chicago State is not about them leaving or getting kicked out. The immediate problem is their total lack of competitiveness. They are killing the conference RPI in every sport they participate in.

The non-conference "money games" are not helping their won-loss record, but they do bring in at least $500,000 per year in much needed revenue to the athletic program.

So how do they get back to fielding a competitive basketball program, which they did have from 2012-2014? Without sacrificing their "money games?" Or how do they field a decent baseball team or woman's basketball team? The WAC is not going to kick them out and they are not leaving. So how do they get more competitive in athletics?

That is the real question, not the "Death Spiral."
02-04-2018 04:49 PM
CrimsonPhantom Offline
CUSA Curator

I Root For: NM State
They need an AD, not an AD/HMBBC.
02-04-2018 05:48 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(02-04-2018 05:48 PM)CrimsonPhantom Wrote:  They need an AD, not an AD/HMBBC.

I would agree with that.
02-04-2018 06:42 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

RE: Chicago State Death Spiral (rebirth of an University?)
Well Good News and Bad News - probably more of the former.

First the bad: Fall registration is on pace to be down 7% year over year or about 2800.

This will mark the 9th consecutive year of decline. The numbers are pretty much in line with the projections which typically see a decline between Fall and Spring Semesters, with the following Fall Semester coming in about the same as the Spring Semester. That pattern continues. Full time undergrads will remain around 1400. The key number is 1000, as a number of negative triggers come into play if the number of full time undergrads fall to that level.

OK, that was the bad, and it was not unexpected, not a worsening.

The Good: The new President, Z Scott, has removed the most horrid remnant of destructive incompetence left over from the Watson era, Provost Angela Henderson.

[Image: provost.jpg]

This one move has caused more hope in faculty for real change and improved work environment than any. (It should be noted faculty voted almost 99% "no confidence" in Ms. Henderson two years ago, but it was ignored by leadership). A collective "Free at last" chorus can be heard.

What this means is Chicago State can actually start to address some of the structural problems that have caused the near complete collapse of the school, and start the process to come into compliance with things like Federal Grants, which block the school currently from having any satellite campuses (Provost is responsible).

Improved faculty morale and attention to student advising (also provost job) should start to improve.

Anyway I see this as a possible turn around point. But the structural issues that have led to graduation rate of 11% over the last five years (was 37% before Watson was President and still in his first couple years) need to be improved immediately if the downward trend is to stop. Time is getting short, but it does look like the right President is there to at least try.

I am hoping in 6 to 12 months we can re-title this thread "Chicago State revival".
08-01-2018 01:24 PM
SoCalBobcat78 Offline
All American

(08-01-2018 01:24 PM)Stugray2 Wrote:  Well Good News and Bad News - probably more of the former.

First the bad: Fall registration is on pace to be down 7% year over year or about 2800.

This will mark the 9th consecutive year of decline. The numbers are pretty much in line with the projections which typically see a decline between Fall and Spring Semesters, with the following Fall Semester coming in about the same as the Spring Semester. That pattern continues. Full time undergrads will remain around 1400. The key number is 1000, as a number of negative triggers come into play if the number of full time undergrads fall to that level.

OK, that was the bad, and it was not unexpected, not a worsening.

The Good: The new President, Z Scott, has removed the most horrid remnant of destructive incompetence left over from the Watson era, Provost Angela Henderson.

[Image: provost.jpg]

This one move has caused more hope in faculty for real change and improved work environment than any. (It should be noted faculty voted almost 99% "no confidence" in Ms. Henderson two years ago, but it was ignored by leadership). A collective "Free at last" chorus can be heard.

What this means is Chicago State can actually start to address some of the structural problems that have caused the near complete collapse of the school, and start the process to come into compliance with things like Federal Grants, which block the school currently from having any satellite campuses (Provost is responsible).

Improved faculty morale and attention to student advising (also provost job) should start to improve.

Anyway I see this as a possible turn around point. But the structural issues that have led to graduation rate of 11% over the last five years (was 37% before Watson was President and still in his first couple years) need to be improved immediately if the downward trend is to stop. Time is getting short, but it does look like the right President is there to at least try.

I am hoping in 6 to 12 months we can re-title this thread "Chicago State revival".

Very Good Post. Either your posts are getting better or I am just mellowing out.
08-01-2018 01:59 PM
Stugray2 Offline
Heisman

SoCalBobCat,

You have an agenda. If you follow what I have been saying about CSU, then you know I have always pointed to the structural problems and poor leadership as the primary causes of CSU's decline. It's been a decade and the state budget only accounts for maybe 15-20% of the problem. This is where you and I differ, as you have been advocating throwing more State money at CSU as the solution. But I always say the problem was crooked and incompetent leadership.

How can you let the Student Grant Aid program be out of compliance with Feds for 7 years? No other school in the US is that incompetent. How can you effectively burn money to have $0 in your foundation account and fail to raise any money? Every HBCU gets at least one thing right, holding out your hat and promoting giving. (Relative to their income levels African Americans are among the most generous groups in America.) How can you let graduation rates drop to 11% after 6 years and drop student academic counseling? How can you not have a maintenance schedule plan? How can you not have a plan to sell or lease unused or underused facilities to generate income? How can you the number of accredited graduation majors shrink by half? How can 2/3rds of the listed majors not include all the required classes being offered at the school?

Fixing those problems, or at least starting on them, doesn't require a penny of additional money. Yet they account for why most of the students who have left CSU and who will leave CSU are doing so.

I think you just like my posts because I am at heart an optimist, and when anything addressing the real problems comes up I praise it because I am optimistic. But the clock is still ticking and that 1000 full time undergrad line is dangerously close. 2 or 3 years of continued enrollment decline and then things really get bad - as if they are not now. My hope is the decline stops in the next 24 months - due to fixing some of the criminally neglected problems like Federal Aid compliance and course offerings matching catalog. Then the long slow recovery can begin. It's not a flip the switch the minute you give me cash situation, it's a write the business plan and lay out the path so we can ask for the funding to follow the plan situation. Socks before shoes.
(This post was last modified: 08-01-2018 03:59 PM by Stugray2.)
08-01-2018 03:58 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.