ODU Monarchs

Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
Quagmire Offline
Special Teams

I Root For: ODU
RE: ODU Brand/Image Improvement Thread
One picture of Kate Upton in a cut-off ODU tee is all it would take.
11-30-2016 03:19 PM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 03:16 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 03:14 PM)monarx Wrote:  Part of the issue is our geographic footprint is a problem compared to other schools. Most schools have a good 100 mile radius around their campus from which to draw students and fans. For ODU, we have nearly one quarter the area. Half of our radius is over the atlantic ocean, and a quarter of it is in North Carolina. Our natural area of interest is severely limited due to the cul de sac locale.

But even with that argument we still have more people than all other schools (except for maybe George Mason) even if the area is not as big as others.

Thats because ODU is in an area with a huge population and kids can go to school here and live at home. We need to figure out a way for these kids to want to go to ODU, live on campus and be a part of the University instead of showing up for class and then going home every day. That would be a huge first step in growing the local brand. Make it a place they want to go instead of settle on.
11-30-2016 03:25 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 03:19 PM)Quagmire Wrote:  One picture of Kate Upton in a cut-off ODU tee is all it would take.

I bet she doesn't even know that JV went here.

Although that is definitely the best idea I've heard.
11-30-2016 03:26 PM
devyanks90 Offline
All American

I Root For: Old Dominion

Folding@NCAAbbs
(11-30-2016 03:26 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 03:19 PM)Quagmire Wrote:  One picture of Kate Upton in a cut-off ODU tee is all it would take.

She was on campus when we retired Verlander's number at a basketball game.
11-30-2016 03:32 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 03:32 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  

Yeah, I was kidding on that one. I think I knew she was here for that.
11-30-2016 03:37 PM
Gilesfan Offline
Hall of Famer

(11-30-2016 03:25 PM)ODU_NYG Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 03:16 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 03:14 PM)monarx Wrote:  Part of the issue is our geographic footprint is a problem compared to other schools. Most schools have a good 100 mile radius around their campus from which to draw students and fans. For ODU, we have nearly one quarter the area. Half of our radius is over the atlantic ocean, and a quarter of it is in North Carolina. Our natural area of interest is severely limited due to the cul de sac locale.

But even with that argument we still have more people than all other schools (except for maybe George Mason) even if the area is not as big as others.

Thats because ODU is in an area with a huge population and kids can go to school here and live at home. We need to figure out a way for these kids to want to go to ODU, live on campus and be a part of the University instead of showing up for class and then going home every day. That would be a huge first step in growing the local brand. Make it a place they want to go instead of settle on.

I believe that to be the key.
11-30-2016 03:42 PM
cmett003 Offline
All American

A truth among all truths is that we have not "arrived" until an ODU flag flies in the background of ESPN College Gameday.
11-30-2016 03:45 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(11-30-2016 03:32 PM)devyanks90 Wrote:  

She was?!? I was at that game, how did I miss that??
11-30-2016 04:04 PM
MonGNARch Offline
1st String

I Root For: The Ol' Dirty
(11-30-2016 03:45 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  A truth among all truths is that we have not "arrived" until an ODU flag flies in the background of ESPN College Gameday.

Well then, let's get a dedicated ODU fan in every state to do it just like Washington State does
11-30-2016 04:05 PM
ODU_NYG Offline
All American

I wonder if she agreed to do that and saw all the crap t-shirt options and then backed out? 05-stirthepot
11-30-2016 04:22 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

I Root For: ODU YALE MN NDSU
I've mentioned a few of these before.

1) ODU banners/flags flying from construction cranes. Maybe a big banner or something on the new ODU location downtown?

2) Plant Blue trees down Hampton Blvd. (The City should do Yellow for NSU to balance it out)
A Jacaranda or [Image: Paulownia_tomentosa] would grow VERY fast. Plant them next year and they will be roughly 10 feet or so by the time the stadium opens.

I had posted pics in another thread months ago, some of the trees looked purple. I can't imagine it being difficult to track down ones that look more blue though.

3) Season Ticket holders for Football and BB should get a yard sign and/or a car window sticker. It doesn't cost the school much. And it boils down to more advertising for the school. There is no reason why I as many or more yard and car stickers for other schools so close to ODU.

Walk though Colonial Place or Larchmont and I think VT and ODU are about around the same count, JMU and UVA being a close 3rd in some areas.

4) More billboards around the area. This year is the first year I've seen signs up for FB or BB.

5) More community involvement. Hold a building contest or something on an annual basis. Maybe build catapults and launch pumpkins or something into the bay. Invite all the high schools or some of the engineering/fabrication firms to compete.

6) Merge with EVMS.
11-30-2016 06:12 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 02:47 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Here is a perfect example. ODUs Licensing Twitter page just posted this:

https://www.themountain.com/old-dominion...-t-shirts/

Who is going to by this crap??? I mean no wonder the online selection stuff is not good because ODU puts junk like this out there and no one buys it. Then the seller stops carrying ODU merchandise altogether.

That's the kind of shirt I'd imagine Joe Dirt or Kenny Powers rocking
11-30-2016 06:16 PM
GotLabradors Offline
Special Teams

The merchandise options are not good compared to other schools. As far as I know, the ODU bookstore is the only place here (outside of Target) that carries any ODU merchandise. I want more than teeshirts. These are the websites for VT's bookstore and one of the local retailers in Blacksburg. ODU definitely has some catching up to do.

https://campusemporium.com/

http://www.bookstore.vt.edu/ePOS?this_ca...design=109
11-30-2016 09:35 PM
Mr.BigBlue Offline
All American

We can't even get Alums to put an ODU sticker on their car !! ODU has got to up their Marketing Budget and develop a true marketing campaign.
11-30-2016 11:52 PM
GhentFan Offline
1st String

(11-30-2016 11:52 PM)Mr.BigBlue Wrote:  We can't even get Alums to put an ODU sticker on their car !! ODU has got to up their Marketing Budget and develop a true marketing campaign.

Billboards on 264 around Town Center and the Beach (In the summer) would get lots of eyes.

I just heard that the Business school just lost another advisor. They haven't had advising appointments in a few years due to being understaffed. It has been a stand in line and talk to somebody sitting at a table between these days and times. Everything out in the open, and they rush them.

Engineering on the other hand has more than enough people willing to help their students.

The school has more then a few problems they need to address. I don't think they are going to spend money on marketing anytime soon. :(
12-01-2016 12:03 AM
LetsGoODU Offline
1st String

I've bought a few nice ODU sweatshirts at Walmart in Chesapeake. They seem to continue to grow their selection. Some of the stuff they carry looks bad but I've gotten some decent polo shirts as well.
12-01-2016 12:08 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 06:16 PM)GhentFan Wrote:  
(11-30-2016 02:47 PM)cmett003 Wrote:  Here is a perfect example. ODUs Licensing Twitter page just posted this:

https://www.themountain.com/old-dominion...-t-shirts/

Who is going to by this crap??? I mean no wonder the online selection stuff is not good because ODU puts junk like this out there and no one buys it. Then the seller stops carrying ODU merchandise altogether.

That's the kind of shirt I'd imagine Joe Dirt or Kenny Powers rocking
I must be Joe Dirt because I thought they were kinda cool looking, especially the basketball one. But I wouldn't buy one, especially for $30.
12-01-2016 12:18 AM
Chillie Willie Offline
All American

(11-30-2016 09:35 PM)GotLabradors Wrote:  The merchandise options are not good compared to other schools. As far as I know, the ODU bookstore is the only place here (outside of Target) that carries any ODU merchandise. I want more than teeshirts. These are the websites for VT's bookstore and one of the local retailers in Blacksburg. ODU definitely has some catching up to do.

https://campusemporium.com/

http://www.bookstore.vt.edu/ePOS?this_ca...design=109
Walmart has ODU merchadise. But I went to Penneys recently and they had a corner in the sportswear area that had only UVA and VT.
12-01-2016 12:20 AM
benny_t Offline
1st String

When the new Dicks/ Field and stream opened on Battlefield Blvd they had 2 different ODU shirts. There were tons of UVA, Tech and UNC shirts. Richmond and Norfolk State had more options than us. This was a couple months ago. When I went back 2 weeks ago there were no Richmond shirts, no UNC shirts and only 1 Norfolk State shirt. UVA and Tech still had the majority but not by a ton. They definitely realized they needed to carry more ODU stuff.
12-01-2016 07:53 AM
cmett003 Offline
All American

(12-01-2016 07:53 AM)benny_t Wrote:  When the new Dicks/ Field and stream opened on Battlefield Blvd they had 2 different ODU shirts. There were tons of UVA, Tech and UNC shirts. Richmond and Norfolk State had more options than us. This was a couple months ago. When I went back 2 weeks ago there were no Richmond shirts, no UNC shirts and only 1 Norfolk State shirt. UVA and Tech still had the majority but not by a ton. They definitely realized they needed to carry more ODU stuff.

Right but was it quality stuff? Top brands like Under Armour, Nike, Adidas or Columbia?? I went to the Dicks at Town Center and they had some ODU stuff but it was just garbage. They wanted $100 (on sale now for $60) dollars for a jacket that was not a top brand (ODU Jacket) worth maybe $25. If it was a quality $100 Nike or Under Armour Jacket I would have bought it.
12-01-2016 09:03 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.