Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
Interesting that JMU and us both laid an egg Sunday (and nearly Elon too). This likely means we get JMU in the semis if we make it there. Both Hofstra and CofC are really bad losses. JMU likely cost themselves the top seed
02-27-2017 07:17 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J.B. Offline

This is the worst defensive performance that I can ever remember from Drexel tonight. As of the time that I'm posting the game is not over, and Drexel is down by 8 at the 2 minute warning. But I believe that WM has driven down the court and scored on about 8 straight trips down the court in the 4th quarter. Drexel is about to lose 3 in a row to end the regular season...and this kind of has a reminder of Gaby's senior year when they ended the season by losing 6 in a row. Right now, it appears that the rest of the league has caught up to Drexel and there's no guarantee that they'll even beat Northeastern next Friday. Hopefully the extended break with work in their favor.
03-01-2017 08:41 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Certainly not a strong finish, but I think we will be fine against NU. I still am not convinced we can beat either JMU or Elon, but still feel like we would have a chance against JMU.
03-02-2017 07:45 AM
J.B. Offline

(03-02-2017 07:45 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Certainly not a strong finish, but I think we will be fine against NU. I still am not convinced we can beat either JMU or Elon, but still feel like we would have a chance against JMU.

That has happened with some of Denise's teams in the past. It seems like they were on cruise control this season and out of nowhere, they ran into a brick wall. They had a nice win at Towson, which was expected. Then they barely pulled out a win against Delaware. All in a sudden they're getting their brains beat out against JMU. OK, JMU is the best team in the league. But then losing to Hofstra AND W&M? This clearly isn't the same team that beat 2 Power 6 teams, and numerous A-10 teams earlier this season. And far from a team that just a few weeks ago, I really thought had a legitimate shot to compete for a title.
03-02-2017 08:34 AM
J.B. Offline

Dragons got a nice 68-50 win tonight over Northeastern in the CAA Quarterfinals. This was the first strong game that they've played in almost 3 weeks, as they really struggled down the stretch in the regular season. Tonight they got back to their bread and butter...making open shots, strong defense, and holding onto the basketball. It helped that Meghan Creighton found her shot tonight, nailing 6 3-pointers for 18 points, while Curran added 17 points.

Next comes a really tough test as they have to face JMU on their home court. Drexel has a 10 game losing streak to JMU. Last time they beat them was a 50-34 win in the CAA Semi-Finals back in the year that Drexel won the WNIT.

On another note,
I felt bad for the Drexel spirit teams, who did not make it to the game tonight. They mentioned on the TV broadcast that their bus broke down on the way to Harrisonburg.
(This post was last modified: 03-09-2017 09:33 PM by J.B..)
03-09-2017 09:25 PM
hiroshimacarp Offline
1st String

we're playing a gutsy game no matter how it turns out. offensive rebounds, getting on the floor for loose balls, and so on. coach dillon always has us ready to play when it counts. just have to hope that can overcome their size/athleticism.
03-10-2017 08:13 PM
J.B. Offline

Drexel is definitely the team with more heart and guts tonight, but unfortunately it still might not be enough. Momentum is shifting toward the home team.
(This post was last modified: 03-10-2017 08:28 PM by J.B..)
03-10-2017 08:27 PM
J.B. Offline

When Pellechio can't buy a shot, and Precious starts nailing NBA threes, you know it might not be your night after all.
03-10-2017 08:31 PM
J.B. Offline

Well Drexel gave them a really good fight, but this is the result that was expected. JMU continues to get Power 6 level talent to play in the CAA so you've got to give them credit. But I'm sure that 90% of the CAA will be rooting for Elon tomorrow.
03-10-2017 08:53 PM
DrachenFire Offline
2nd String

Tough game and really a tale of two halves as we really did a good job turning them over in the first half to build the lead at the halftime. Second half saw that change and there was just no stopping Hall. Hopefully they get to keep going in the WNIT.
03-10-2017 09:35 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Tough loss for sure, but I agree this team has a good enough resume to easily be in the WNIT. A team with size will still give us problems.
03-11-2017 06:47 AM
J.B. Offline

Elon currently has an RPI of 27, while JMU is at 39. The fact that they are playing each other tonight should help even the loser a bit. If logic were used for the NCAA Selections, then both teams would be a lock for the NCAA Tournament. But considering that the selections are made by power hungry egomaniacs who don't know basketball, that's not a guarantee.

Hopefully both teams do get in, which would give Drexel the automatic bid to the WNIT. Even if that scenario doesn't take place, Drexel should still be a lock for a WNIT at-large bid anyway. Drexel has had much worse teams in the past couple of years get in.
03-11-2017 09:25 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Agreed on JMU and Elon. Latest bracketology had JMU as one of the first 4 out, with no surprise the last 4 in were all power conference teams and the first 4 out had 3 mids. The womens tournament is extra bad when it comes to mid majors. Other than high RPI's neither Elon or JMU really have the wins, Elon avoided bad losses in conference.
03-11-2017 04:32 PM
J.B. Offline

That was a fun championship game to watch. Every CAA WBB fan that doesn't wear purple had to be excited. I fear that JMU is going to become the next ODU, so it was nice to see a strong team come in this year and knock them off. Congrats to Elon.

This game brought back memories from 8 years ago when we all got to celebrate a championship on the JMU floor in front of their arrogant fans walked out.

JMU's RPI dropped just a bit to 41. I hope for the sake of the CAA that they do get in. But if they don't, nobody should feel sorry for them considering that they've been to the NCAA Tournament 5 of the past 7 years. I'm sure they'll be back plenty of times with the time of talent that the bring in.

I'm looking forward to being part of the tournament next year at the DAC. I'm not sure what type of team Drexel will have next year. Hopefully they can get to the championship at home, but even if they don't it should still be fun.
03-11-2017 09:29 PM
J.B. Offline

Drexel is back in the WNIT once again. JMU was the only other CAA team in the field of 64. Brackets to be announced later tonight.
03-13-2017 08:05 PM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.