Hello There, Guest! (LoginRegister)

Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
Bookmark and Share
dan10 Offline
Heisman

I Root For: Drexel
RE: Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
(12-15-2016 09:41 PM)Water Boy Wrote:  
(12-15-2016 08:34 PM)J.B. Wrote:  Today, Drexel extended Denise Dillon's contract to the 2023 season. They clearly see her value and know how tough it would be to get a coach as good as she is to come to Drexel. I will admit that I don't know much about college basketball coaches contracts, but I wonder if there's stipulations that would cause other schools to pay large sums of money to Drexel if somebody tries to steal her.

I think she will likely be at Drexel until Harry Perretta retires from Villanova. Hopefully we would get something from them, but I would imagine that she wouldn't sign something that would keep her from being able to leave for that job.

I agree 100%. She is not going anywhere, unless Nova calls. Until then, she is safe here and seemingly quite happy here. Shes built a solid program year in and year out.
12-16-2016 07:48 AM
Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(12-03-2016 03:41 PM)J.B. Wrote:  It changes every moment, but at this time, Drexel's RPI is up to 25, best in the CAA. The CAA as a group is ranked 8th in RPI just below the 7 power conferences.
I wouldn't use the term "7 power conferences" because it isn't obvious what the conferences are without checking the sport you are talking about. I know the conference names and how good they normally are at Men's Basketball, but people who don't look at the Women's Basketball Conference RPI wouldn't know about the gender difference for the Atlantic 10. The Atlantic 10 is 7th in the Men's Basketball Conference RPI. In the last five complete seasons, the Atlantic 10 has been 6th once and 7th four times. However, the Atlantic 10 is currently 14th in the Women's Basketball Conference RPI. The American Athletic is currently 8th in the Men's Basketball Conference RPI and 7th in the Women's Basketball Conference RPI.
12-16-2016 09:41 AM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
J.B. Offline

(12-16-2016 09:41 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  
(12-03-2016 03:41 PM)J.B. Wrote:  It changes every moment, but at this time, Drexel's RPI is up to 25, best in the CAA. The CAA as a group is ranked 8th in RPI just below the 7 power conferences.
I wouldn't use the term "7 power conferences" because it isn't obvious what the conferences are without checking the sport you are talking about. I know the conference names and how good they normally are at Men's Basketball, but people who don't look at the Women's Basketball Conference RPI wouldn't know about the gender difference for the Atlantic 10. The Atlantic 10 is 7th in the Men's Basketball Conference RPI. In the last five complete seasons, the Atlantic 10 has been 6th once and 7th four times. However, the Atlantic 10 is currently 14th in the Women's Basketball Conference RPI. The American Athletic is currently 8th in the Men's Basketball Conference RPI and 7th in the Women's Basketball Conference RPI.

But the issue is that there is a major bias in college basketball for both women and men. In WBB of the 39 teams that were ranked or received votes this past week, 36 of them were from those 7 conferences. Drexel has an RPI of 19 and was nowhere near the rankings, while some teams in the top 25 have an RPI close to 90. The issue here is that even with the CAA ranked at 8th, does the league have enough of a reputation to get more than 1 team in the NCAA Tournament.

We saw just how terrible the bias is just 2 years ago, when Princeton was 27-0, but only got an 8 seed, because they were in the Ivy League. Numbers and computer rankings don't seem to matter to the morons on the committee. It's all about the money that those "Power 7" bring it. That's why I classify them as such.
(This post was last modified: 12-16-2016 01:22 PM by J.B..)
12-16-2016 10:35 AM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Of course there is a bias. Women's basketball does not make money, so it has to follow the little bit of money there is. Also RPI still means nothing at this point in the season.
12-16-2016 10:40 AM
J.B. Offline

(12-16-2016 10:40 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Of course there is a bias. Women's basketball does not make money, so it has to follow the little bit of money there is. Also RPI still means nothing at this point in the season.

I disagree about the RPI, espeically from a conference standpoint. The OOC season is 3/4ths of the way to completion. Once the new year hits, conference rankings will change very little. The CAA is 8th with 2 weeks left. If the CAA can finish 8th, it can go along way to trying to convince the committee to go beyond their bias to try to convince them to accept more than 1 team. These next 4 games are very big for Drexel. All 4 are winnable, but 3 are from a decent, but not great, Atlantic 10. It's important to keep the RPI as high as possible both for themselves and for the CAA.

Also, this is a very good veteran team, with a 5th year starting point guard in Creighton, along with Curran and Pellechio and Lidge in the starting lineup. They have an opportunity to break out beyond their typical season where they finish high in the CAA, lose in their tournament, and go one and done in the WNIT. They have the talent to make this a special season. I'm just hoping that they can keep winning and the cards fall the right way.
12-16-2016 11:27 AM
J.B. Offline

(12-16-2016 10:40 AM)dan10 Wrote:  Of course there is a bias. Women's basketball does not make money, so it has to follow the little bit of money there is. Also RPI still means nothing at this point in the season.

I disagree about the RPI, espeically from a conference standpoint. The OOC season is 3/4ths of the way to completion. Once the new year hits, conference rankings will change very little. The CAA is 8th with 2 weeks left. If the CAA can finish 8th, it can go along way to trying to convince the committee to go beyond their bias to try to convince them to accept more than 1 team. These next 4 games are very big for Drexel. All 4 are winnable, but 3 are from a decent, but not great, Atlantic 10. It's important to keep the RPI as high as possible both for themselves and for the CAA.

Also, this is a very good veteran team, with a 5th year starting point guard in Creighton, along with Curran and Pellechio and Lidge in the starting lineup. They have an opportunity to break out beyond their typical season where they finish high in the CAA, lose in their tournament, and go one and done in the WNIT. They have the talent to make this a special season. I'm just hoping that they can keep winning and the cards fall the right way.
12-16-2016 11:27 AM
EvanJ Offline
1st String

I Root For: Hofstra and FSU
(12-16-2016 10:35 AM)J.B. Wrote:  
(12-16-2016 09:41 AM)EvanJ Wrote:  

But the issue is that there is a major bias in college basketball for both women and men. In WBB of the 39 teams that were ranked for received votes this past week, 36 of them were from those 7 conferences. Drexel has an RPI of 19 and was nowhere near the rankings, while some teams in the top 25 have an RPI close to 90. The issue here is that even with the CAA ranked at 8th, does the league have enough of a reputation to get more than 1 team in the NCAA Tournament.

We saw just how terrible the bias is just 2 years ago, when Princeton was 27-0, but only got an 8 seed, because they were in the Ivy League. Numbers and computer rankings don't seem to matter to the morons on the committee. It's all about the money that those "Power 7" bring it. That's why I classify them as such.
I agree about the bias in favor of the top conferences. I'm just saying that because the American Athletic and Atlantic 10 are in different orders depending on the gender, you should include both of them as power conferences or exclude both of them.
12-16-2016 01:04 PM
Visit this user's website Find all posts by this user Quote this message in a reply
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Drexel women beat St. Joes today.
12-18-2016 07:54 PM
J.B. Offline

(12-18-2016 07:54 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Drexel women beat St. Joes today.

Yep. Huge win today against a feisty Hawks team. Hawks took a 7 point lead after 1 quarter, but Drexel defense was outstanding the rest of the way. Offense was struggling through midway through the 3rd quarter. Then Denise decides to give Ana Ferariu a shot to prove herselve. Ana had only played in 3 of the 1st 7 games and had scored a total of 9 points. She can in an took advantage of her opportunity and dominated the rest of the way, constantly driving to the basket, getting to the foul line, and she even sank a 3 pointer. Despite not playing at all until the 3rd quarter, she was the leading scorer for the game with 18 points. So she was a really nice surprise and hopefully becomes another option for Denise on an already deep team.

As expected, RPI dropped a bit from 17 to 21 after the win. As I mentioned earlier, they have an opportunity to open up some eyes to the national media and coaches and have a chance to be ranked. But they have to keep on winning to do so.
12-18-2016 08:19 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Incase anyone was curious Denise Dillon will be with us till 2023.

http://www.drexeldragons.com/news/2016/1...illon.aspx
12-21-2016 08:09 AM
J.B. Offline

Wink RE: Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
(12-21-2016 08:09 AM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Incase anyone was curious Denise Dillon will be with us till 2023.

http://www.drexeldragons.com/news/2016/1...illon.aspx

Thanks, but you're about 10 posts behind on this one.

We don't know if she will be with us until 2023, but my guess is that the extension will make it more difficult for her to find a new job, and more difficult for a Power conference team to try to steal her away.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2016 08:12 AM by J.B..)
12-21-2016 08:11 AM
J.B. Offline

Dragons put on a clinic today in Easton and dominated a bad Lafayette team 81-39 on the road. Even though their opponent wasn't very good, we still got a glimpse of how deep this team is and how good they can be. 10 different Dragons scored. They got 10 points from National Freshman of the Week Ana Ferariu, 9 from Marecic, and 5 from Metzel, 3 players who barely sniffed the court early this season.

This is 1 of just 2 easy games on their schedule. And their "reward" for beating a bad team today is that their RPI dropped from 19 to 31. Meanwhile, Elon beat Akron today, and saw their RPI jump up to 22.

They'll enjoy the holidays at 7-2 and head down to Florida next week to take on 2 Atlantic 10 teams, George Mason and UMass at Florida International.
(This post was last modified: 12-21-2016 04:04 PM by J.B..)
12-21-2016 04:02 PM
J.B. Offline

2 straight rookie of the week awards for Drexel. Last week was Ana Ferariu for dominating St. Joe's in the 2nd half. This week, the CAA gave that award to Bailey Green berg for her big performance against Lafayette.
12-27-2016 08:37 AM
J.B. Offline

Drexel Women's Basketball 2016-17
Dragons buried UMASS today 65-47 to finish with at least a share of the FIU Tournament title. They are now 9-2 and off to their best start in program history as the OOC schedule comes to an end. Of their 9 wins, 5 came against the A-10, ACC, and B1G, which is very impressive.
12-28-2016 03:01 PM
Dragon For Life Offline
Special Teams

Did they get the full share?
12-29-2016 07:36 PM
J.B. Offline

(12-29-2016 07:36 PM)Dragon For Life Wrote:  Did they get the full share?

Yes. It wasn't your traditional tournament because 2 teams from the same conference were participating.

Drexel 2-0
Mason 1-1
FIU 1-1
UMass 0-2
12-29-2016 08:17 PM
J.B. Offline

While I'm doing my posts for today, I'd might as well come back here and post about something more positive, and that's Drexel Women's Basketball.

Dragons didn't play a great game yesterday. Curran, just off winning CAA POW, only scored 4 on 2 for 7 shooting, and as a team, they only shot 38%. But the freshman came though. Bailey and Ana both had great games, and Drexel was able to hold off Towson for a 10 point win. Drexel has moved back into the top 50 in RPI, and the CAA now has 4 in the top 100 and all 10 teams are in the top 200.

Their big test is coming up on Friday night at the DAC when they battle a very tough Elon team. Elon has never beating Drexel in the CAA, and Drexel slaughtered them by 43 points at the DAC last season. Elon will be out for revenge on Friday.
01-03-2017 12:46 PM
J.B. Offline

Drexel takes over the #1 spot in the ESPNW mid-major poll, for now.

http://www.espn.com/womens-college-baske...r-rankings
01-04-2017 03:26 PM
dan10 Offline
Heisman

Still not sure what to think of that set of rankings, but it is still nice coverage no matter how you slice it. Elon will be a tremendous game for us to keep our momentum going, especially with Elon ahead of us in the RPI. There are few chances remaining this season to improve our RPI so we need to come out focused and do what we have been doing all season long.
01-04-2017 03:49 PM
jcohen42 Online
Special Teams

I don't really see Drexel as the best mid-major team in the country. The CollegeInsider Mid-Major poll has them #10, which I feel is more reasonable. I'd personally put them at around #8.
01-05-2017 01:48 AM

User(s) browsing this thread: 1 Guest(s)

Copyright © 2002-2024 Collegiate Sports Nation Bulletin Board System (CSNbbs), All Rights Reserved.
CSNbbs is an independent fan site and is in no way affiliated to the NCAA or any of the schools and conferences it represents.
This site monetizes links. FTC Disclosure.
We allow third-party companies to serve ads and/or collect certain anonymous information when you visit our web site. These companies may use non-personally identifiable information (e.g., click stream information, browser type, time and date, subject of advertisements clicked or scrolled over) during your visits to this and other Web sites in order to provide advertisements about goods and services likely to be of greater interest to you. These companies typically use a cookie or third party web beacon to collect this information. To learn more about this behavioral advertising practice or to opt-out of this type of advertising, you can visit http://www.networkadvertising.org.